i bid on a buy it now item and realised 3mins later it wasnt what i wanted

smiles_2ya
Community Member
I bid on a item and realised i read it wrong. now im being threaten to pay. or they think ebay will pay for it. they are saying they will get there money one way or a other. i notifyed them about 2mins kater is there anything i can do ??
Message 1 of 53
Latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

Re: i bid on a buy it now item and realised 3mins later it wasnt what i wanted

If they did it over and over fair enough, I argued years ago with eBay and told Deborah Sharkey direct I do not believe it is the responsibilty of sellers to punish buyers who make mistakes. We should not ever need to open an UID. We should be able to simply cancel and give a reason.  The system should be able to detect buyers and sellers who repeatedly cancel purchases and the reasons given and eBay should take action on those who make a habit of it. 

But that aside how does it "waste" money if it is a BIN listing?  When you cancel the transaction your FV fees are refunded. 

I admit some sellers have more issues (percentage wise) than I do. I get less than 1% who want to change or cancel their order.  However if I were getting more than that I would carefully look at my titles and images and ask myself if they are clear enough.  I would also check how they look on mobile because there has definitely been an increase in buyers making purchases in error since shopping on mobile devices became the trend.

Sure some purchases are honest mistakes. I usually cancel a transaction but should I have too. Why doesn't the buyer initiate a cancel.

You make a good point of the system that is place. 

My problem is that as a seller I get charged the fee and then have to chase it up, time is money.

Message 21 of 53
Latest reply

Also when a transaction is cancelled I dont think it adds back the purchase (if I have a multi listing) and the sale price stays on the monthly totals. I dont think everything is reversed.

Message 22 of 53
Latest reply

But that aside how does it "waste" money if it is a BIN listing?  When you cancel the transaction your FV fees are refunded. 

The seller still has to pay listing fees, and another lot again when they have to relist.. 

Your Woolworths example is a bit silly.l have done what you wrote in your post, I was terribly embarrassed but the cashier just suspended the sale until I could go home and get my wallet..

The point is, Woolworths don't have to pay listing fees,

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 23 of 53
Latest reply

This is interesting as I came in to open a discussion on buyers who buy and then change their mind, they are driving me crazy.  Some let me know and ask to cancel the transaction but others don't bother and don't reply to messages so eventually end up with unpaid item strikes. 

The biggest issue I have is that some of these cause some of my listings to finish because they buy the number of items I have available and 8-10 days later they have to be relisted. In the meantime they are not available to genuine buyers to buy.

I was going to ask if anyone knew how to block newbies as they seem to be the ones causing most of the issues but then i see this thread and find that even experienced ebayers do it.

I have a guy from the UK who put through 4 separate orders for the same item, which essentially made me run out of stock, then he didn't pay for any of them. I figured he had made a mistake and initiated cancellations for the duplicate sales but he never responded.  Being Halloween items, by the time these sales are cancelled and I am able to relist them, it is too late!   Now I am stuck with this stock which would have otherwise sold to genuine buyers. 

It is frustrating and although fees are refunded by ebay, you can loose sales and ebay does not refund you the listing costs either. 

I know that I can set it to request instant payments but I do  get a large number of customers paying by bank deposit so I don't want to lock them out.

Any ideas on how to reduce these?

Message 24 of 53
Latest reply

I know that I can set it to request instant payments but I do  get a large number of customers paying by bank deposit so I don't want to lock them out.

Any ideas on how to reduce these?

The only thing you can really do is block buyers with strikes for non-payment, if you haven't already (go to Account > Site Preferences > Buyer Requirements and select the block you prefer, eg anyone who has had two or more strikes in the last 12 months).

On a more general note, eBay functions completely differently to a B&M retail outlet, so quite often the comparisons to various practices between them doesn't quite work. I don't open UPI disputes to punish buyers, I open them because it's the only way I can be guaranteed a refund of the fees on a sale that hasn't occurred, and I don't see any reason why someone else's window shopping should cost me (I generally cancel transactions for those that contact me, but that happens rarely and in the majority of instances the purchase is the first and last I hear from non-payers).

I've never had a UPI case opened against me, so I don't have first-hand knowledge of the contents of the emails members receive when one is opened, but I do know that if I could customise them, they'd be more along the lines of 'the seller has initiated the process to void this transaction - you may still pay for the item within 4 days if you wish'. I have no interest in trying to force a buyer to pay, or threaten them for not paying, I just want to close off the transaction and move on. 

Message 25 of 53
Latest reply

As of this point in time if a buyer contacted me and asked to cancel I would, I have no problem with it, I would way prefer that to a buyer who just left me hanging -  If there is no reply to any contacts I make regarding payment - then I open UPI.

It is different for everyone/every circumstance though. I have a store and have multiples of all items I sell, so a UPI case means nothing to me as I have still have stock listed - if it was a one off then yes having to wait 8-9 days to relist would be annoying.

Also with cancellations - I can handle the relist fee, I get my FVF back, but if it happenned too many times then my attitdue would soon change. I think it is a personal decision a seller has to base on the events at the time. Great help huh ๐Ÿ™‚

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 26 of 53
Latest reply

The point is, Woolworths don't have to pay listing fees,

It could potentially cost Woolworths far more than the cost of a listing fee. When you are paying employees time is money.

Message 27 of 53
Latest reply

On a more general note, eBay functions completely differently to a B&M retail outlet, so quite often the comparisons to various practices between them doesn't quite work.

You are right... eBay expectations are much higher than that of a B&M store and yet many on here seem to think the opposite.  If you look at the changes to come for the Top-Rated Seller program, in particular the section on refunds, it is quite scary what eBay expects. 

"Returns expectations

When sellers accept returns, shoppers expect a reasonable time-frame and money back as a refund option.

Set a good return policy โ€“ one that strives to exceed buyer expectations by accepting returns and offering money back for any reason.

Accept returns within 14 days at a minimum. 30 day money back returns or better is recommended: 

This allows buyers the time to receive the item and make sure theyโ€™re happy with it.

There are a number of ecommerce retailers currently offering 100+ day returns, which is shifting buyersโ€™ expectations

Provide clear, easy-to-follow instructions for returns in your โ€œAdditional return policy detailsโ€ section

Clearly indicate who is responsible for return postage costs โ€“ you or your buyer. If this varies depending on the reason for the return (for example, buyer changed their mind versus a flaw in the item itself), make this clear in your policy. Consider paying for return postage:       

To show buyers that their satisfaction is your top priority

In a recent eBay study with a select group of fashion retailers who offered extended free returns, over 80% of buyers surveyed claimed that free returns โ€˜sometimesโ€™ or โ€˜alwaysโ€™ impacts their likelihood to purchase

**Seller paid returns isnโ€™t yet a buyer expectation so itโ€™s an opportunity for you to differentiate your business and stand out from your competitors"

Message 28 of 53
Latest reply

The Top-Rated seller program combined with Best Match Search ensure that the most generous sellers (free express postage, long return policy) are ranked highest. 

I honestly don't believe eBay is the right platform for casual selllers anymore and I advise my friends who are casual sellers to list on Gumtree.

Message 29 of 53
Latest reply

protect*the*innocent
Community Member

When a buyer requests a transaction be cancelled the seller has to lodge a mutual cancellation request through eBay.

The main reason these are so iffy for sellers is because the buyer has the right to decline the mutual cancellation which means that the seller loses their right to claim the fvf's for the sale from eBay.  

If a buyer declines a mutual cancellation the seller cannot then open an unpaid case for the transaction. 

I'm not saying do it or don't do it -- merely pointing out the pitfall of the mutual cancellation process which could be why some sellers are wary about it.

Message 30 of 53
Latest reply