i bid on a buy it now item and realised 3mins later it wasnt what i wanted

smiles_2ya
Community Member
I bid on a item and realised i read it wrong. now im being threaten to pay. or they think ebay will pay for it. they are saying they will get there money one way or a other. i notifyed them about 2mins kater is there anything i can do ??
Message 1 of 53
Latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

laroos*
Community Member

We are all human and make mistakes...i have done it with bidding on the wrong size once..i did a bid at the last minute on some shoes and did not realize it was 9.5 instead of 9  i was in the size 9 shoes and 9.5 where there as well what i did not know then....  

The seller did not want to cancel that one..... but wasting sellers time is not nice i understand that, especially when it is just a change of mind with some people!

I must say as a Buyer my time was wasted too buying and not receiving the item...or the product was so bad!!

And no answer from the seller...trying to get a refund..or some other solution?

But in most cases that was when it was bought at a very low price..

There are 2 sides to every story i think...

Maybe they can bring in a cancellation fee!

But then people will do it easier of course....;-)

Rosie

Message 31 of 53
Latest reply

I honestly don't believe eBay is the right platform for casual selllers anymore and I advise my friends who are casual sellers to list on Gumtree.

You jest?? My 'casual' id that I use for listing second hand clothes as auctions is doing really, really well, so far this month every item has sold and most of them with multiple bids. I do NOT start them at ridiculously low prices either.

They are doing so well that I may use a different id when I reach my free 30 listings and sell on that too. Only so many second hand clothes left so I may have to start raiding the wardrobe lol.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 32 of 53
Latest reply

phorum_junkie you are the exception to the rule of course ๐Ÿ™‚

you are too professional to be just a casual seller and I have never seen you jump up and down over the loss of a couple of dollars.

Message 33 of 53
Latest reply

I know this is going to be a little off topic but it is kind of relevant to this.  Ebay has ways of dealing with just about everything, their systems and policies are well established and mostly protect buyers not sellers. 

I have an issue with negative feedback, I think buyers should go through an issue resolution process before they are allowed to leave negative feedback.  There is a way to raise an issue through communication with a seller and some do this but newbies tend to just leave negative feedback without actually attempting to contact the seller to resolve any issues first. 

So my thought is this, if they click on neutral or negative feedback, they should be sent through a process of raising a problem, then the seller is given the opportunity to resolve the problem first and then once it is finalised they can leave feedback.  Then the feedback can reflect their overall experience.  I don't mind if it shows a mark as an issue raised but at least the feedback would be accurate.

Most times I have managed to provide a refund or resolve the problem and buyers are happy but the feedback does not show this.  I ask if they can review the feedback but it doesn't generally happen.  I get messages thanking me for resolving the problem professionally but the damage is already done.

Any thoughts on this?

Message 34 of 53
Latest reply

laroos*
Community Member

f they click on neutral or negative feedback, they should be sent through a process of raising a problem, then the seller is given the opportunity to resolve the problem first and then once it is finalized they can leave feedback.  Then the feedback can reflect their overall experience.  I don't mind if it shows a mark as an issue raised but at least the feedback would be accurate......

I like this ๐Ÿ™‚ that is a great idea!

Message 35 of 53
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You are already asked if you have contacted the seller before you can actually leave it.

Anyone who is bent on leaving bad feedback will just tick that they have and proceed to do so.

Most of us have already contacted the seller....if we were forced to do so again there would be very little point in having already done so.  What happens when the buyer cannot contact the seller or the seller is unhelpful at that first contact.

What you are proposing is assuming that the buyer is the problem in that transaction.

Message 36 of 53
Latest reply

I have never left a negative feedback so I was not aware that you were asked if you have already contacted the seller.  What happens if you say no? 

Like everything else in ebay, if a seller does not respond or is not helpful then after a period of time you can proceed to close the case and then feedback can automatically be left (communication would be a bad score) and other areas as it is now.

I am not assuming that the buyer is the problem, I am assuming that the buyer HAS a problem and should be resolved in a systematic way and feedback should reflect the entire transaction.

There are buyers out there that will threaten you with a neg feedback if you don't give them something for free or whatever.  When you look at their feedback history, they tend to leave lots of bad feedback, so they are holding sellers to ransom.

With a process the would not be able to do this, or at least it is on the record.

Message 37 of 53
Latest reply

ninx - no buyer is going to be silly enough to click No - but you would think in this day and age of hi tech everything, that eBay could have in place a block such as when you try to leave neg - the ONLY option is 'contact seller'. Once done, perhaps 7 days later, if no responce or seller refused to help etc, then the neg

button works. Couldn't be that hard to do surely. Just a thought.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 38 of 53
Latest reply

Hi, that is exactly what I am thinking, force buyers to try aand deal with the issue before they can leave neg feedback.  They should have the right to leave negative feedback but it should reflect the overall experience not just on the heat of the moment because whatever they bought is not shiny enough, or whatever.

Message 39 of 53
Latest reply

Hi all, I haven't read much of this post but I'm going to tell you what I think anyway. Hitting the buy it now button is like turning on a light switch, it's either on or off unless it's a dimmer. (that's bidding) Lot more fun but my heart goes off the planet when I try that medium. Buy it now means just that, come on mate you had plenty of time to check out the item right. You hit the buy it now and you buy it that's all there is to it. Now be a man and coff up the doe, be nice and cop it on the chin. Your blue right? And if you don't want it, re-sell it on Ebay, what fun! Do the bidding thing, you might wind up getting more doe than you spent! So no negs guys, I've made a few blues in the past and just wear it and get on, ok! Have a bit of respect and do the right thing by others and self respect will be your reward.

Cheers and keep smiling

Message 40 of 53
Latest reply