"Best offer" option, seems now Buyer can decline original offer even though accepted by Seller?

I submitted "best offer" & it was accepted by Seller, I expected auction to go straight to Checkout, but it came up pending till expiry time & now I have the choice to decline going through with purchase, When i made offer i didn't read notifications as i just assumed once accepted Buyer was committed to sale. When did this change?
Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: "Best offer" option, seems now Buyer can decline original offer even though accepted b

I just sold a kids walker to a buyer that made a best offer that I accepted and they are trying to claim they can decline their own offer after I accepted.

As it wasn't part of the aforementioned categories that don't seem to be updated since may 2013 can they still cancel their own commitment after its been accepted?

I know I've never seen that option on things I have bought and sold before through my phone

@lushmullum wrote:
I submitted "best offer" & it was accepted by Seller, I expected auction to go straight to Checkout, but it came up pending till expiry time & now I have the choice to decline going through with purchase, When i made offer i didn't read notifications as i just assumed once accepted Buyer was committed to sale. When did this change?

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

Re: "Best offer" option, seems now Buyer can decline original offer even though accepted b

@springyzone wrote:

I am just curious (as a buyer). Do many people 'buy it now' if a 'best offer' is available?

I know, from my perspective, what it indicates is the seller is willing to sell the item a bit lower, so if I am interested, I put in an offer

I've been using the 'or best offer' for a while now on selected items (mainly DVDs) and have found it works well. I would say approximately 75% of the people pay the full amount and do not make an offer.

However,  I had an item today that someone had made an offer on, and before I could respond to it, another person came along and paid the full amount. 

When I am buying, I will sometimes pay the full amount, or sometimes I will make an offer. I guess it just depends on what the item is, how fair I think it is priced, and how many times I have seen it not sell.

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

I have no idea if it has changed in the last TWO years, but I doubt the OP will be replying to you after that time.

THEY probably considered the topic done and dusted back then.

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

Especially as they haven't been back to the forums since they started the thread. Maybe we should send them a message letting them know someone has replied to their thread? I'm sure they'd be interested after all this time.

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply