recalled item

Hi all I recieved a message from eBay saying an item i purchaseda long time ago has been recalled. I have contacted the seller he told me to contact the help desk .?? Well the option is not there I just keep getting sent back to page one. this is the item..
Item details: 175150186923 - 300Mbps Wifi Extender Repeater Range Booster AP Router AU Wireless-N 802.11 HOT. Cheers Chris.

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: recalled item

Hi yes it is in my eBay messages.

Message 11 of 34
Latest reply

Hi it was in my ebay messages. The seller told me to contact the help desk. As i have stated I cannot contact them i just keep going back to the start.??

Message 12 of 34
Latest reply

Hi.Not sure why you just had a go at me all i have done is ask a questioneBay messaged me through my ebay messages not private not a scam.

Hello rover_gunn,

We take product safety very seriously. Weโ€™re reaching out to you because an item you purchased may have been recalled or pose a safety hazard. We recommend that you stop using this product. If you have questions about the item(s), please reach out to the seller or the manufacturer. Item details are listed below. 

More specific details are provided below.

Item details: 175150186923 - 300Mbps Wifi Extender Repeater Range Booster AP Router AU Wireless-N 802.11 HOT

If you have questions, please go to "Help" at the top of most eBay pages.

Regards,

eBay

Message 13 of 34
Latest reply

Hi all i seem to be getting is targeted by the members. by law if a product is recalled due to an electrical fault catches fire or can cause a person to be shocked. it comes back to the seller and the sellers supplier and it also falls back on eBay to make sure customers of eBay are contacted if an item has been sold through eBay. It is the same if you supplied an item to Coles and it was recalled for what ever reason you take it back to Coles and they in turn send the item back to the supplier.

All I am doing is asking a question so there is no need to be in an attacking mode.

sorry I asked.

Message 14 of 34
Latest reply

It looks like the product was sold as unbranded.

I don't know how a recall notice could ever be issued for an unbranded product. 

Message 15 of 34
Latest reply

Hi I have bought heaps of items unbranded on eBay they are either in a plastic bag or plain box. And lots of lights LED come with no brand name or makers some do have a bar code with numbers but no name.

Message 16 of 34
Latest reply

@rover_gunn wrote:

.................by law if a product is recalled due to an electrical fault catches fire or can cause a person to be shocked. it comes back to the seller and the sellers supplier and it also falls back on eBay to make sure customers of eBay are contacted if an item has been sold through eBay.

Only if that seller is registered in Australia, the majority of feedback left for you is from Chinese registered seller - so Australian laws do not apply to them.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 17 of 34
Latest reply

@rover_gunn wrote:

Hi yes it is in my eBay messages.

How about providing details of the message.

Otherwise all we can do is guess.

Message 18 of 34
Latest reply

Contact the manufacturer,  oh I already said that

Message 19 of 34
Latest reply

OP, itโ€™s such a bizarre occurrence that Iโ€™d guess most eBay members reading here would have thought it must be a scam.

Now that youโ€™ve explained it was also a message in your inbox, the authenticity of the message is established, but the bizarreness remains!

As said, why eBay would be contacting you about an item being โ€œrecalledโ€ is in my experience unprecedented.

That they did so about an item that is unbranded - by definition without a stated brand or Australian manufacturer - is so weird that my brow is wrinkling and Iโ€™m discussing this with our cat Ichabod. He is meowing in astonishment (or else he just wants some further patting).

Your reference to items sold by Coles and your dismissal of โ€œunbrandedโ€ as meaning things without a brand name stamped on them are not really relevant. Coles is, as said by others here, an Australian company and they are subject to ACL and of course for selling electrical / electronic items that are manufactured to Australian standards. If they sell something of that sort not to Australian standards, theyโ€™d be in a world of trouble.

Unbranded doesnโ€™t mean no brand name showing on the item. It means itโ€™s churned out in a (usually Chinese) factory, of the poorest cheapest quality raw materials, its components made to function minimally and without regard for safety, adequacy, capacity etc, items which have not been tested AS REQUIRED for the electrical regulatory standards. What you do when you order from a Chinese seller selling unbranded items is bypass that process, and you put yourself at risk.

From a previous post in another thread:

@countessalmirena wrote:

I won't buy on the basis of the item being the cheapest. I buy on the basis of best value for money, and part of that value (for me) is that the item be genuine and that I can have confidence that it was made to the brand's specifications, both in manufacturing details and in materials used. This is something I can't over-stress, but it's difficult to convey how important this is. The difference can literally be that between life and death when it comes to electrical goods/electronics, because lower quality components are not fit for purpose. The least that could happen is that the item fails; the worst is that someone dies. Almost as bad is the possibility of fire damage, destruction of connected devices, etc., and the certainty that one's insurance won't cover that.

โAll electrical professionals should be conscious of the law of โ€˜subrogationโ€™, which enables insurance companies to recoup money they have paid out on insurance claims from other parties who can be identified as being partially or fully responsible for the cause of the claim. So if you knowingly or unknowingly supply, install or specify counterfeit electrical goods that are found to have contributed to an insurance claim (e.g. fire or electrocution) because of being sub-standard or unsafe, you could be held liable for personal damages and possibly face imprisonment.โž โ€“ Does It Comply? an initiative of NECA

I posted a reply on another thread, touching on "just in time fulfillment" among other things. [...]

In another thread, I've explained why "made in China" under contract to a brand is completely different to "made in China" without any quality control, faking capability and quality and brand, with the components not even being fit for purpose.

Raw materials are actually the costliest aspect of manufacturing in China, which is why these factories that churn out unbranded/fake/fraudulent items will skimp on the raw materials for the components. The intention is to make something/sell something that looks - ON THE OUTSIDE - very much like the expensive name-brand quality items that are made under contract and must meet certain standards, but which are revealed as the cheap made-to-fail rubbish they are once you look "under the hood", or try to use the item to the capacity/function/etc which is stated. It may work for a while, but it will not work to the extent or for as long or to the acceptable safety standard that the genuine item which it's imitating will work... and it is a safety hazard. It's a risk. It's not worth it.

In yet another thread, I touch briefly on the Regulatory Compliance Mark. You must be aware of the RCM requirement. I'll quote a bit from that thread here as well:

โ€œThere are regulations that apply to the supply of electrical equipment and appliances. The requirements set out in the regulations must be followed. A failure to do so is a criminal offence.โ€

โ€œRegulations and Standards apply to all electrical equipment sold or offered for supply in Australia.   Certain types of equipment are classified as prescribed. These pieces of equipment must go through a certification process which ensures the equipment is compliant to the relevant safety standards before being offered for supply in Australia.โ€

โ€œRegulatory Compliance Mark (RCM)

Prescribed electrical products must have an RCM on the appliance or an Australian approval number to show that the product has been certified.
This mark is currently recognised by all States and Territories of Australia.โ€

countessalmirena_0-1708858186553.png

IN CONCLUSION

If eBay have contacted you directly about a router which you bought quite a while ago, whatโ€™s the chance that they are doing so because another buyer of the same item has had a catastrophic issue resulting from the use of that item? Fire, explosion, severe injury, death - and of course that buyer (or family) would have contacted eBayโ€ฆ and eBay, sort-of stuck in the middle with no legal responsibility but wanting to protect themselves as a result of the information, might well send out emails and messages warning buyers, using wording that really makes no sense but effectively washed their hands of the issue.

In other words, youโ€™ve been warned. Continue using that router at own risk.

Message 20 of 34
Latest reply