returning faulty item

I recently bought a bnwt pair of ugg boots from a seller. I wore them once for a couple of hours inside the house and then the next time I put them on the zip split open as I was zipping them up. I have requested to return for a refund & attached photos as they are faulty.

Seller is refusing as she says they were fine when she sent them and now they are used as I have worn them. She says I should have told her they were faulty before I wore them!!! I obviously couldn't do that as they broke the second time I tried to wear them. The seller has been a bit unpleasant right from the start and has accused me of forcing the zip causing it to break, which is untrue.

Do I stand a chance with doing a return through ebay, because they are not brand new anymore as I have worn them albiet very briefly?

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

returning faulty item

Of course you stand a chance of a refund through ebay. I have never used the ebay dispute process but I believe once you initiate it by requesting to return the seller has to either agree and supply the cost of a return or send you a prepaid label to use or dispute the case. If they refuse to refund the you ask ebay to step in.

When you open the proceedings make sure you are very clear about the fact they are faulty and perhaps add a photo of the broken zip, all that will be used by ebay to make a decision. Do not let the seller persuade you to just return them without it being through ebay and with them paying for the return. If ebay find in your favour and the seller does not supply the means of returning then you will get a refund and will not have to return the slippers.

If that happens it may be a good idea to take the slippers to an UGG store to see if they are the genuine article, they may be counterfeit which would be why they failed. You could then report the seller to Ugg.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

returning faulty item

Thanks for your reply. I have never done a return through ebay either, only through paypal. That's why I was a bit concerned and also because the seller is a bit aggro. Good point about them maybe being counterfeits. I never thought of that! They seem fairly good quality, apart from the zip of course! I just had a look at the ebay guide to spot fake uggs, so I will check them out when I get home from work.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

returning faulty item

If they are still wearable or you were wiling to fix the zip yourself you might think about a partial refund?

Might be easiest for everyone...

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

returning faulty item

Sounds like a great idea doesn't it. I do love the boots but they are useless as they are. Only after a few messages between us, she has grudgingly said she would only refund half of what it would cost for repairs!! I am yet to take them to the shoe repairers for a quote but I think she should be paying the whole cost of repairs. If not, then I would rather just return for refund. As it is, if one zip is replaced, they are going to have odd zips as I don't think they would be easy to match, so less than perfect. I am willing to work with the seller but she is not being that helpfull.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

returning faulty item

I would advise against asking for a partial refund for the cost of repair even if they pay the full cost. You don't know if the other zip is going to fail in a short time and because ypu had had a repair done you wold lose your right to return as items have to be in the same condition as received (apart from the initial fault of course.)

Don't let the seller fob you off any longer, you are entitled to a full refund without it costing yoiu any money at all and I am sure you will be able to find another pair, it is rare for an item on ebay to be unique.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

returning faulty item

Good point. Yes I think I will stand my ground as the other zip doesn't run that smoothly! Thanks for the advice.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

returning faulty item

Just make sure you take all the right steps and if you are unsure about anything come back and ask.  If the seller has any sense they will just agree to the refund and not make you return them as they would not be able to resell with a broken zip. If they dig in though make sure you don't return them unless instructed to by ebay and have received the money or a label to use.

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

returning faulty item

I have never heard or seen a genuine ugg have zippers on them so what brand do they say they are?

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

returning faulty item

I had a look and OP's Uggs have a label sewn on the back.

how to spot fake uggs 2

Genuine ones do have zips.   From their website -

Tall Breezer

http://www.yournextshoes.com/2009/12/how-to-spot-fake-uggs/

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply