**scam watch** , got phone call from private number saying i bought an iphone 7

Hi,

Got a call from private number on my my home phone stating i will be charged $370 for IPHONE7 i bough on ebay, if not then press option 1.

I did not buy such a phone and ebay purchase history does not show i have.

Seems like be aware of SCAM.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Yep, very common scam

Many many posts on the forum about it 

Nothing to do with eBay either, these scammers pretend to be from anywhere, just happens your scammer said eBay. Others have had Amazon/ JB/Apple/ you name it 

I hope you did not press one like many other have, which will confirm you are a 'live' phone number and add you to the big scammer call list

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

I just got the same call.

Although I knew it was a scam from the start and simply played along to waste their time and **bleep** them off..

I stated that I had not ordered an iphone 7.

They sad that they had the order details in front of them.

They asked me to confirm that I used ebay which I confirmed.

They asked me several times to confirm my details.

Every time they did I asked them to provide me with my details since they "already had the order for the iphone 7" in front of them.

All they could try to confirm was my phone number, which was not hard since they were calling on it.

They got my name, username and address incorrect.

I told them that it was not me and would not accept any purchase order and to refund any money and return the iphone 7.

Most important thing is not to provide them with identifying information (email addresses, passwords etc).

Just lie.

Try to keep them on the line as long as possible too stop them scamming others.

I kept this one on for about 10 minutes before he hung up.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Why give a scammer even the most basic information that you use eBay?

The least problematic things to do:

• don't answer the phone - ever - with the word "yes". Just use something like "Hello" and continue to avoid using the word "yes". If you're asked "Is that [your name]?", you can say something like "Speaking. Who is calling?"
  • don't say your name;
  • once you're reasonably sure that you are speaking to a scammer, say "No thank you" and hang up. Block the number if you can;
  • if the call is TTS (robospeak), listen only for long enough to ascertain that it's a scam call, and hang up;
  • never - never - never call back;
  • never press any number to confirm anything;
  • resist the temptation to play your own game (although I admit that this can be the hardest thing of all to resist);
  • don't launch into a righteous expletive-ridden rant (or any sort of response designed to shame the scammer). If there's any sort of result, it would be the scammer's annoyance - and if they are sufficiently annoyed, imagine being subjected to bot-driven calls every 5 minutes...

Just follow the simple rule - MEH.

1. Minimal response in answering the phone;
  2. Establish that it's a scam;
  3. Hang up.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply