seller not abiding by warranty

How do sellers on Ebay claim to abide by Australian consumer law when they refuse to respond to communication when the product they provide is faulty and then Ebay blockades contact by not providing any means of providing feedback about that seller after the 90 day period expires. Ebay also does not step in to assist with a seller who does not  communicate regarding a faulty product. A product warranty in Australia is more than 90 days. Other unaware buyers need to be informed about unscrupulous sellers. Ebay also is uncommunicable. You cannot ring anyone and if you go on the help all you get is a robot answer from their system. Aint passive income great! Stuff the customers.  

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: seller not abiding by warranty

Unless the seller is registered in Australia AND is an authorised reseller of the product then generally speaking any "warranty" offered in the listing is meaningless.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

eBay is all about the buyer

If the buyer chooses to buy something from a seller because the word warranty  is on the screen, but the seller is not authorised to sell/re- sell the item that is up to the buyer

eBay do not enforce warranties 

The old chestnut of 'Australian consumer law' is pointless

'Unaware buyers' need to educate themselves on basic facts

For example, the most recent seller you have feedback from is registered in China and has shocking feedback. Yet you chose to buy from them and support them anyway

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

I bought a Devanti Cordless Vacuum Stick and it broke suddenly with 10 months of light use. I emailed the seller about the 12-month warranty but the seller just don't reply despite my repeated emails.  It looks as though, "Come and get me if you are able, I shall continue to sell at eBay and buyers are unaware".  The seller is unofficial (or unauthorized) according to the Devanti Customer Support. I had no idea of this when I bought.

eBay can only be contacted for current buying maybe within 6 months. In desperation, I wrote to eBay (at  mediaaustralia@ebay.com) about my problem. Then I saw your article on warranties in the eBay community. I don't suppose eBay will respond and hold the unscrupulous seller responsible. So, beware of such dishonest sellers!

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

eBay do not read here

eBay do not enforce warranties

As has been said to death, unless the seller is an authorised seller/re-seller and registered in Australia

There is no warranty 

Buyers are not 'unaware' they simply choice to ignore basic facts

There is no reason to be unaware, there is even a section at the side of the page that specifically says  '

Authorised seller'

Buyers beware: yes

Be aware of buying basics
Care about who you are buying from

Don't buy from 'dishonest sellers', helping them stay in business and then complain about it

The information is freely and widely available on eBay itself and here on the forum (many, many, many hundreds of times on the forum in fact)
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

This may seem like salt in the woundโ€ฆ but I am betting that the purchase was made in large part because this so-called genuine item was considerably cheaper than its RRPโ€ฆ

Until Australian buyers stop being blinded by prices which they know very well are well below RRP, and do a lot more research before buying when the price is so much lower, they will continue to be buying fakes, knock-offs, unbranded cheaply made imitations, and losing face while the sellers of fakes gain face and smile contemptuously to themselves as they watch the โ€œstupid Australiansโ€ fork out for garbage.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Yes, it is a problem.

The fact is, ebay is just a selling platform. It doesn't get involved in warranty issues, all their money back guarantee is good for is if an item fails to arrive in time or if it is significantly different to what was promised in the ad ie wrong product, faulty or broken on arrival etc

It isn't in the business of guaranteeing quality or anything like that. In fact, you only have a 30 day window in which to make a claim on ebay for that very reason. They are basically saying: Look, we will ensure you receive your item or else you will be refunded your money. But that's it.

Think of it like a purchase from Facebook marketplace. You're buying from an unknown seller, you're not necessarily buying from a proper 'store'.

I know it is deceptive. You see an ad on ebay and it says 'store' and the seller may even have thousands of sales under their belt.  They're not a mum & dad seller. But unless you recognise the name as a real store, then anything they write about a warranty is rubbish. 

In my opinion, ebay would do well to ban the use of the term warranty at all in ads, unless it is from an authorised seller. You're not the first person to be caught and you won't be the last. Unfortunately, a lot of occasional users of ebay see the ads, see that the seller seems to have sold a lot, see the word warranty and take it all at face value. Sometimes it will be honoured. I have a friend who bought a camera that was faulty soon after she bought it. The company did repair it but made her send it overseas for those repairs.

I have another friend whose husband bought a chainsaw I think it was, from a seller with a local location. Faulty again soon after purchase. Seller offered partial refund but eventually agreed to repair if they brought it in.

These are not stupid people. They are ordinary people who read the ads and assumed they were buying from reputable sellers.

You can communicate with ebay if you go to the help pages and get through to chat, which is a back and forth writing session in real time. But if the purchase is over 90 days ago, you're out of luck.

Even if you bought using paypal (which has a 180 day coverage) I think you will be out of luck as they cover the same things as ebay but do not provide a warranty service nor will they refund you because you're disappointed in the quality of a product.

Feedback is only 60 days, by the way, not 90. Did you ever give the seller feedback in the first place? If you had, you would be able to give a follow up comment, so you missed an opportunity there.

Basically, what it comes down to is you need to be aware of exactly what ebay covers. You need to be aware any mention of a warranty in an ad is to be taken with a grain of salt. Just ask yourself-if this breaks down, how exactly can I make a claim on the warranty? That's triple true of any overseas purchase and be aware too that just because an item says located in Australia, the fact is it might still be a product coming from overseas, so check out seller location. That's how my camera buying friend got caught out.

You're not really helping unaware buyers by your post in that most regulars on here are well aware. All you can do is look after your own interests. Don't buy anything on ebay that requires a proper warranty, not unless it is from a real store or authroised seller. It's safer to just go to the shops, even if you end up paying more.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply