unlocked phones

Hi,

last year I bought a UNLOCKED phone but it still contains software from a service provider ( AT&T ) which are locked into the root.

This is a pain because I am living in Australia and these software is slowing down the phones functions.

Is it O.K. to sell mobile phones like this ?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: unlocked phones

Nevertheless, not a good look when you come to the boards asking for help on something that appears, at least, to conform to their MO.

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

Nevertheless, not a good look when you come to the boards asking for help on something that appears, at least, to conform to their MO.

....................and when the OP doesn't come back to clarify the situation...............

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

phones in australia have the same thing, telstra ph unlocked will have all their gear on it still even if i have a optus sim in it.

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

Yes it is correct you can use a unlocked phone with any carrier, provided the frequencies are matching. But this is not the point. If the UNLOCKED phone has preinstalled software from a carrier on its root you can disable most of it but it is still there and takes space from your phones storage which could be critical if you have got only a small storage in your phone. Also in many cases if the phone is registered with a oversees carrier like AT&T you probably want be able to upgrade your Operating System in Australia. The Question is` How can you distinguish between a brand new unlocked phone with the default manufactory ( Samsung etc. ) interface or one with a carriers b

@horticulturex wrote:

Hi,

last year I bought a UNLOCKED phone but it still contains software from a service provider ( AT&T ) which are locked into the root.

This is a pain because I am living in Australia and these software is slowing down the phones functions.

Is it O.K. to sell mobile phones like this ?

loat ware on it unless you got it in your hands. The ads on Ebay do not show it.

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

And the answer to this is ?????

Quote ;-

"Wow.   Are you the unluckiest buyer on ebay?

Feedback left for others indicates you just might be."  

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

Shame on the phone manufacturers for having software of service providers on the phone. Shame, shame, shame. Why haven't you just demanded a refund? We can't have you paying for any of your purchases, no reason to start paying for things now when you've managed to get everything else you've bought for free, especially something as expensive as a phone. Why don't you get the refund then root the phone and get rid of all the stuff you don't need. Simple. Then you've got yet another item for free. YAY for you.

Party anyone?

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply