warranty claim postage

Hi,

I bought a GPS unit from a local seller in Sydney 3 months ago. Now I need to claim warranty. Seller ask me to pay postage covering returning (to factory in China) and sending back to me. That costs a lot. 

For my understanding of buying from a local seller,  I just need to pay postages of returning to the seller and sending back, rather than the ones to their factory overseas. 

Please help and advise.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

warranty claim postage

It doesn't look like any knows for sure, and I don't either, so the best I can do is try to interpret what I know of consumer rights etc for these specific circumstances (meaning these are more related to bricks & mortar retail, so I may get it wrong, and your best bet is to contact someone more authorative, like the ACCC).

An Australian retailer is obliged to help and is not supposed to direct a consumer somewhere like the manufacturer instead (i.e. if you buy a Sony product from Target and take it back to Target, they are not allowed to tell you that you have to take it to Sony directly - you can choose to, but you don't have to). Which would suggest that when it comes to online purchases, you would have a similar right to deal directly with (and return the product to) the retailer. 

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

warranty claim postage

If the allergy is a business, then your contract is with the seller not the manufacturer. It is the sellers responsibility to then send it o/s. That's what Consumer Affairs told me.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

warranty claim postage

i think this story proves the problem when you buy anything online from a seller who doesnt have a 'bricks and mortar' store.

trying to get a warranty claim complied with is very difficult when you cant take it back to the store where purchase was made.

when all you have if email as communication and maybe a return address its easy for a dodgy seller to give you the run around.

allready this seller is waving a red flag with a rediculous piece of advice telling the buyer to send the faulty item to china.

maybe the buyer could contact the dept of consumer afairs in their state for some advice.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply