why don't sellers leave feedback until the buyer does

I will not be leaving any feedback to sellers who do not leave feedback after they take my money and i pay fast.

What gives them the right to hold you to Ransom.If they they don't trust they have sent you a product in good condition that is their fault.You as a buyer should get feedback as soon as you pay. 

Message 1 of 59
Latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Re: why don't sellers leave feedback until the buyer does

Smiley Happy

The issue of thank you etc

Reminds me of when i used to work & from time to time at staff meetings, people would bring up the issue of being appreciated, feedback etc

The prin always replied that we all got a sign of appreciation every fortnight and it was called a pay slip.Smiley Wink

On that basis, you could say that if you pay for something on ebay & get it sent out quick smart by the seller, that is the ultimate feedback that they noticed and appreciated your payment.Smiley Happy

Message 31 of 59
Latest reply

@joztamps wrote:

There's a way of saying "You have a good day, now" which clearly means "Now take your chips and your smokes and go and jump off a cliff, you obnoxious ...."

I got quite good at it, working graveyard shift on Friday and Saturday nights at the 24-hour servo near the Housing Commission estate.

But only after they installed the bullet-proof glass service window for us.

My favourite is "I hope your day is as pleasant as you are".

If anyone is offended by that, they have to admit they were being unpleasant. Smiley LOL

Message 32 of 59
Latest reply

I can see the merits of both sides of the case about whether or not sellers should leave feedback first for buyers.

Some do, some don't, there is no real right or wrong answer, it is a matter of choice and as others have said, feedback is voluntary.

As for myself, when people pay and I send their items (usually same or next working day) I leave feedback then.

Mostly because it is too time consuming to leave it and then do it later after buyers have left feedback, it involves too much checking of buyers feedback and I have not got time for that.

If I left it until after buyers had left feedback first, there would be dozens if not hundreds of sold items to trawl through to find the ones to leave feedback for and my feedback page through the feedback forum only shows about 30-40 items at one time.

Buyers like to get feedback and I usually say something like "Thanks for your prompt settlement, the item has been posted today"

This thanks the buyer and lets them know the item is on the way.

Roughly about 30 to 40% of buyers respond and leave feedback. I never chase feedback, if they leave it, good, if not, so be it.

Sometimes, when I get a bad buyer or one that leaves a neg or neutral, it can be annoying to know I have left good feedback for them, but so be it.

I would rather be using the time to list items than trying to figure out which buyers have left feedback before responding.,

Message 33 of 59
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585 wrote:

@padi*0409 wrote:

@4channel wrote:

Oh dear padi, you know I was talking about good sellers in general.  

No 4channel I did not, and it would appear that none of the responders to that post did either - so it would seem that you were the only one that knew what you were talking about.

I never gave a thought to the Chinese when I read channel's original comment.  I find that most non-Chinese sellers still leave feedback straight away (within 24 hours of posting items).  I'm not just talking about those I've bought from because I've checked a lot of sellers' feedback and most are the same. ........................................

As a buyer, if a seller doesn't communicate at all and doesn't leave feedback when I buy, I don't bother leaving them any feedback at all.  If they want feedback they can show some appreciation for my business.  They need my money more than I need their products so if they can't say thank you (via a message or feedback) they can't expect it from me.  The normal practice in an offline sale is for the buyer to say thank you when they receive their goods and the seller says thank you when they receive their money, so why would an online sale be any different?  Yet sellers sayt it's okay to wait a week or a month to say anything.

That's a good point. Leaving feedback straight after the buyer has paid is recognition and appreciation for the buyers business.

Message 34 of 59
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

That's a good point. Leaving feedback straight after the buyer has paid is recognition and appreciation for the buyers business.

Hmm, how to I provide that recogition and appreciation on other sites where there's no facility to leave feedback? 

And to be clear, I need to do this at least 20 times a day, often more, so I'm also looking for an efficient way to do it.

Message 35 of 59
Latest reply

I like feedback and I like giving it on eBay, but frankly I don't think it matters 'Who's On First'. ๐Ÿ˜‰

As for day to day manners, I had them drummed into me when I was a child and it's almost second nature.

I've found in one instance though I had to consider what I was saying.  To save time I would just say 'Thanks' instead of 'Thank You',  I found placing an order at a local fast food drive through that only sold Pepsi (I prefer Coke) I'd better ask for the drink first, not last (as I usually did) as through the dodgy speakers my "...and a Pepti, thanks." was interpreted as an order for a Pepsi Max! ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 36 of 59
Latest reply

I also wish more buyers would leave feedback. I always worry that when they don't, it's because they're not overly happy with the item or it hasn't been received.

I have never asked for feedback as I find that looks like you're begging. lol.

I have learned that people are just different. Many simply just do not leave feedback ever, no matter how happy they are. I've had people doing a local pick up for items who were absolutely lovely, friendly and really happy with the sale and item, and still no feedback! Others will leave a token feedback like "good" or "thanks". Ok. ๐Ÿ˜€ Yet others leave rather detailed and enthusiastic feedback. I want more of them! lol
Message 37 of 59
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

Also, not every checkout operator ever says "thanks" during a transaction -

let alone 'thanks for paying for the items you wish to take out of the store - here, I'll give you a gold star for that so you can feel good about yourself'

Message 38 of 59
Latest reply

And most b&m stores donโ€™t let the buyer use something for however long it suits them only to return it used and abused and pretend it was like it when they opened the box/packet (nor the ones who return a different item to what was purchased in the first place)

Message 39 of 59
Latest reply

There is no logic in the argument of "some do" "some don't" with buyers. Unfortunately, in 2019 we live in a society of "don't care" don't give a damn". I am a small eBay hobby seller of 12 years, with a feedback score of around 700, with sales averaging 5 items per week. My feedback score should be in the vicinity of 2,000 to 3,000, but it isn't. It is getting worse, with my current 10 sales from last 2 weeks, only 1 buyer has left feedback.

1. I always give buyer immediate feedback, makes no difference

2. I only sell new or as new items, makes no difference

3. I offer mainly express and priority post with tracking and most deliveries are 24 hours to 2 days, makes no difference

4. On most items I offer free shipping, make no difference

5. At my expense, I go to great lengths and use extra packaging on all my sold items, makes no difference

6. I leave a pleasant eBay sticker, "thank you for your eBay order your feedback is valued", makes no difference

7. I am a eBay Plus member with 100% positive feedback score and no negatives ever, makes no difference

One human to another, "People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
Love them anyway".

Message 40 of 59
Latest reply