zero feedbackers bumping up prices or sellers bidding on their own items.

trevest2
Community Member

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: zero feedbackers bumping up prices or sellers bidding on their own items.

Ahh okay, handy to know, cheers for that. Smiley Wink I have really wanted to buy something of my own for a while now, simply so that I can experiment with trying to adjust postage on the invoice to manually apply combined postage discounts. I'm hesitant about offering combined discounts outside the automated settings (which don't suit my purposes well) as I'm not sure if I can then actually adjust/apply them to invoices (as I've heard of others having troubles in that regard). So I need to trial it to find out.

I didn't think I would be able to use my own accounts to do this without risking account suspension, based on my friends experience. It's been a very long time since he told me about it (4+ years), so I must be getting my wires crossed there somewhere. I'll have to give him a call and have him refresh my memory on it.

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

@modestbods wrote:

Ahh okay, handy to know, cheers for that. Smiley Wink I have really wanted to buy something of my own for a while now, simply so that I can experiment with trying to adjust postage on the invoice to manually apply combined postage discounts. I'm hesitant about offering combined discounts outside the automated settings (which don't suit my purposes well) as I'm not sure if I can then actually adjust/apply them to invoices (as I've heard of others having troubles in that regard). So I need to trial it to find out.

I didn't think I would be able to use my own accounts to do this without risking account suspension, based on my friends experience. It's been a very long time since he told me about it (4+ years), so I must be getting my wires crossed there somewhere. I'll have to give him a call and have him refresh my memory on it.

NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....don't do it.

I would say chameleon has been lucky so far, but if he is caught it may well be the end of his ebay career.

Interaction between your accounts is one of the worst ebay sins, however innocent it may be.  And the way ebay is suspending accounts at the moment for the simplest of errors I would not take the chance of getting caught.

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

@gunnaparty2 wrote:

This wasn't the tent that sold the other day was it.They were selling for around a $100.00 or so ,then 2 ppl with zero feedback boosted the price up to $3,833.00.Could not see any sane person bidding that much for a 5 to 8 person tent

Maybe they were 'gunnaparty5-8'.

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

lol don't worry Lyndal, I wouldn't have tried it without checking with ebay first.

I hadn't thought it even worth checking with them before since I was certain it would mean an automatic (as in automated) suspension, and so even if ebay cs agreed to let me try it (which I doubted they would) the automated system would still 'kick in' & 'kick me out' regardless.

What I think I'll do is kill two birds with one stone, by gifting my sister (not at my address or IP) a 'credit' for her to spend on combining purchases from my listings for her Christmas present (she loves the jewellery I make). That way her pressie is sorted & I can see how combining postage manually at checkout works without risking upsetting a normal buyer.

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

You really don't have to go through all that to find out how to combine postage. Just click the box net to each item and click the link to create the invoice then input the total postage and then hit review or send, just don't hit recalculate as that just sets it back to how it was before you started.

You cannot discount by more than the postage cost so it is better not to offer combined discounts in conjuction with free post.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

You really don't have to go through all that to find out how to combine postage. Just click the box net to each item and click the link to create the invoice then input the total postage and then hit review or send, just don't hit recalculate as that just sets it back to how it was before you started.

You cannot discount by more than the postage cost so it is better not to offer combined discounts in conjuction with free post.

Thanks PJ, I've copied and saved this, and feel confident now about offering combined at checkout, cheers.

Are you able to tell me if the advanced lister offers more options/variations for setting automated combined postage than the basic lister does (which only offers one setting for all)? 

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

The only lister I ever use is Turbo Lister and the only time I use automated discounts is if I am selling more than one of exactly the same item.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I would say chameleon has been lucky so far, but if he is caught it may well be the end of his ebay career.

Interaction between your accounts is one of the worst ebay sins, however innocent it may be.  And the way ebay is suspending accounts at the moment for the simplest of errors I would not take the chance of getting caught.

Fair enough Lyndal, You are probably right about that bit. Ebay has certianly gone right over the top with some of its responses recently. I wasnt really intentionally reccomending the strategy, Just answering the question of "can it be done ". Just out of interest I have discussed one of these transactions between my accounts, under the framework of a paypal account issue with CS staff, without them batting an eyelid and have had them check the transaction out to help solve the problem. AS you say, maybe I have been lucky and a different CS member may not have been so helpfull. But to answer one of the follow up questions, twelve months ago, when I last did one of these transactions, there was no automatic suspension etc. so it still probably relies on the transaction being reported. As Lyndal has pointed out  "you probably shouldnt try this one at home kiddies "   Smiley Very Happy

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply