Old XXXX Castlemaine pictures . Any information please.

These pictures say in the bottom right hand corner . Photographs courtesy of Oxley Memorial Library. Feel like and look like there on old paper. Have tried searching XXXX sites and Oxley library sites but have come up with nothing.

Pic 1. Brisbane: August , 1901 When James Trackson imported Brisbane's first motor car, a two-cylinder De Dion Boutan powered by an internal combustion engine.

Pic 2. Brisbane: February , 1893 . A boating party prepares to set out along a Brisbane city street to salvage supplies from a flooded department store. All kinds of boats, even steam packets , were a familiar sight cruising along Queen street at the height of the flood.

Pic 3. Brisbane: November , 1897. South's first electorate cricket team strikes a fearsome pose. It was South's 19th century batting hope F. Bolger who scored 118 runs in what was probably Queensland's first cricket century.

Please only responses from someone that actually knows something about these pics. Cheers.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

" Photographs courtesy of Oxley Memorial Library." This gives a big clue that the items are not contemporary with the photographs - that is, they are ephemera reproduced by XXXX - possibly to commemorate some significant date in their history.

The Oxley Memorial Library was not created until 1934 - it is now known as the John Oxley Library. If you can find the exact date the name was changed you could probably end date them more closely - from doing a quick Google search it is clear it was still the Oxley Memorial Library in 1972. I would guess their date is much closer to 1972 than 1934 - this sort of thing is typically 1960's to 1980's.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

might be a 'hint' here....could have been for an anniversary

http://www.xxxx.com.au/thexxxxalehouse/mr-fourex/

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

are you going to post the other two photos....and the right way up, please?
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

this is the South's cricket team pic , Because i can only include one pic per message , i probably have to send a couple of messages. It's pain in the behind i can't send all pics at once

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

I'll have to send another two pics of whats printed on the bottoms. This is the pic of the floods

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

" Photographs courtesy of Oxley Memorial Library." This gives a big clue that the items are not contemporary with the photographs - that is, they are ephemera reproduced by XXXX - possibly to commemorate some significant date in their history.

The Oxley Memorial Library was not created until 1934 - it is now known as the John Oxley Library. If you can find the exact date the name was changed you could probably end date them more closely - from doing a quick Google search it is clear it was still the Oxley Memorial Library in 1972. I would guess their date is much closer to 1972 than 1934 - this sort of thing is typically 1960's to 1980's.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Theres the XXXX Man.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

might be a 'hint' here....could have been for an anniversary

http://www.xxxx.com.au/thexxxxalehouse/mr-fourex/

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply