Reproduction Barsony Ladies H 19

The latest repros or fakes on the market are now selling on ebay as the real thing.

I went to an antique centre in Sydney last week and saw 4 of the same figures for sale in 4 shops and all were marked H-19. The sellers showed varying degrees of honesty in their descriptions but all were priced fairly in the range of $99 to 120. They all had silly necklaces which is obviously not original to Barsony ladies.

They are a much matter black than the real thing which has a shine to the surface and the bases are poorly finished with out a foot rim. So any real Barsony fan would know them in an instant as repro. But so many people want Barsony now that these will sell like hot cakes to the less experienced buyers.

This one was listed yesterday 290654904038 and another went on today for an even greater price and it is just not fair to those poor buyers.

So be on the look out for the next model that will be produced very soon I would think,

Pip

Message 1 of 96
Latest reply
95 REPLIES 95

Hi Pip

Thanks for the info...Much appreciated....cheers..Brenton

Message 2 of 96
Latest reply

Thanks for the heads-up Pip. 😞

Hi Brenton, long time - no see. 🙂

~ Mon ~
Message 3 of 96
Latest reply

Hi Mon

I haven't been on the discussion board since Ebay changed the format. I don't even know how to post photos here anymore :(...Like some people here, I just don't like changes 😞

Message 4 of 96
Latest reply

Thanks Pip.

Message 5 of 96
Latest reply

Hi Pip,

Great info I can see how poor the finish on the base is with little felt pads. I have seen over the last few weeks how they have shot up in price again but you do see ones that have been touched up professing to be in original condition. There was a big thing about the repro Atomics a few years ago and that would have caught just as many of the novices out as well. Ceramics are an easy taraget to knock off, very sad for the people who get duped. Comes back to homework though. Cheers Billy

Message 6 of 96
Latest reply

Oh dear 😞

Thanks for the warning, Pip.

Message 7 of 96
Latest reply

Hi Pip,

That info could go some way to explaining this one then...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbland/5850748639/in/photostream

and the  one on the right in thsi photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/natalie_retrogirl/5939005376/in/photostream

I would have thought the H prefix was for Head and shouldn't appear on a full boddied piece?!

Tim

Message 8 of 96
Latest reply

Hi Tim,

I know that Barsony did do brown and white ladies as well as lustre ware but the fact is you need to see the bases to be sure.

I think that H is for Head or bust type of figure but I think it is possible that a coplete figure could have that prefix. HL or FL are for head and figure lamps. I think these may be copies of the real thing but I am not a Barsony person myself. So I am not sure.

Just another thing to have to know as we wade our way through the rubbish to find the real gems 😉

Pip

Message 9 of 96
Latest reply

there was a dealer in adelaide who collected these and  the lamps 20+ yrs ago, he had one brown one i remember but it wasn't as glossy as the one on flicker (and the shade of brown looks wrong) the 'mosiac barsony girl' looks wrong as can be.

Message 10 of 96
Latest reply