Reproduction Barsony Ladies H 19

The latest repros or fakes on the market are now selling on ebay as the real thing.

I went to an antique centre in Sydney last week and saw 4 of the same figures for sale in 4 shops and all were marked H-19. The sellers showed varying degrees of honesty in their descriptions but all were priced fairly in the range of $99 to 120. They all had silly necklaces which is obviously not original to Barsony ladies.

They are a much matter black than the real thing which has a shine to the surface and the bases are poorly finished with out a foot rim. So any real Barsony fan would know them in an instant as repro. But so many people want Barsony now that these will sell like hot cakes to the less experienced buyers.

This one was listed yesterday 290654904038 and another went on today for an even greater price and it is just not fair to those poor buyers.

So be on the look out for the next model that will be produced very soon I would think,

Pip

Message 1 of 96
Latest reply
95 REPLIES 95

Interesting topic. 🙂  Pip, do you have a pic of yours, particularly the Moss pieces?

~ Mon ~
Message 21 of 96
Latest reply

i think one of the lamps on the link i put up earlier mon that is under the heading 'these are not barsony' is moss i think pip said.

Message 22 of 96
Latest reply

Hi Mon,

As usual I only have one out for display and the other is the same woman but with no base I think. I have seen her with a metal pole coming through the top of her head. The thing that struck me about them when I first found them a few years back

was that they are obviously caucasian ladies in a black format. Quite different and angular as described on the Barsony list.

The Takacs is quite a foxy lass I think.

The bases were obviously made by the same supplier as the Barsony ones so it was quite an industry for a while.

Message 23 of 96
Latest reply

More pics

Moss lady

Message 24 of 96
Latest reply

Apparently the Moss lamps are English - I know I have read that in a few different places over the years - here is a link to the collectors segment on Barsony which mentions Moss and Kalmar and Japanese made  ones

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/collectors/segments/s3077643.htm

cheers

Rae

Message 25 of 96
Latest reply

Hi Rae,

I laughed my socks off when I saw that just like Adrian valueing a small Bill Onus boomerang at $500. They don't know it all you know B-).

That Moss lady is as Aussie as you,

Cheers,

Pip

Message 26 of 96
Latest reply

I'm certain the Moss pieces are Aussie too regardless of what the 'experts' say.  Many of his pieces that were signed have a Lyndale label but not all.  I've not seen a label on a Lady figure as yet.

~ Mon ~
Message 27 of 96
Latest reply

lol, there are so many errors in IDing Oz pottery - goodness knows where that one came from!

I would certainly take your ID, Mon and Pip, on that one, or on any Oz pot for that matter.

cheers

Rae

Message 28 of 96
Latest reply

retrolover7587
Community Member

Hi,

I just happened to stumble across this post and noticed a link to some photos that are from my collection

http://www.flickr.com/photos/natalie_retrogirl/5939005376/in/photostream

I am a mad barsony collector and it makes me very mad when I see people trying to pass off obvious fakes to unsuspecting buyers and actually getting good money for them.

The black figure in my picture is marked "FL13 Barsony". Treasure hunting one afternoon I found the brown lady lamp at a store in newcastle.

It has no markings at all and who knows who made it but as you can see it near identical to the Barsony.

It can be difficult to tell whether lamps or figurines are genuine barsony because not all Barsony's are marked and many of the stickers are long gone.

But the H19s that are being sold are definately fakes. I have even seen some marked 'made in england' and when theyre in front of you , you can tell that they were made not all that long ago.

Message 29 of 96
Latest reply

Hi retrolover,

Thanks for joining in with us and that brown lady looks good enough to be the real thing to my eyes. Are the bases the same on them? That is the best place to start with unmarked pieces. Also her paint detail and quality look way too good for a fake.

Mon and Rae look at the base on my Moss lady and then look through the Barsony lamps again. The perspex and base and even the painted stripes are the same as on that style of Barsony lamp and all of her fitting were made in Aus. No way on earth is she English even if she does have that kind of face :-D.

Moss was English but that is as close as it gets

Message 30 of 96
Latest reply