Reproduction Barsony Ladies H 19

The latest repros or fakes on the market are now selling on ebay as the real thing.

I went to an antique centre in Sydney last week and saw 4 of the same figures for sale in 4 shops and all were marked H-19. The sellers showed varying degrees of honesty in their descriptions but all were priced fairly in the range of $99 to 120. They all had silly necklaces which is obviously not original to Barsony ladies.

They are a much matter black than the real thing which has a shine to the surface and the bases are poorly finished with out a foot rim. So any real Barsony fan would know them in an instant as repro. But so many people want Barsony now that these will sell like hot cakes to the less experienced buyers.

This one was listed yesterday 290654904038 and another went on today for an even greater price and it is just not fair to those poor buyers.

So be on the look out for the next model that will be produced very soon I would think,

Pip

Message 1 of 96
Latest reply
95 REPLIES 95

Yep, thank you all for your help.

Message 91 of 96
Latest reply

Hello, 

I see that you posted this comment a few years back but I was wondering if you still could send the attachment? I have to fix a ribbon shade lamp and it would help tons. Thanks, Sandy B

Message 92 of 96
Latest reply

Is it still possible to get a scan of that booklet?

Message 93 of 96
Latest reply

ARE THESE FAKES? OR JUST NEW ?  THE SO CALLED REAL ONES ARE NEARLY A THOUSAND DOLLARS,, OVER THE TOP AND NOT IN REALITY,, THE AVERAGE ONE YOU SEE FOR $100 OR SO IS A GOOD BUY, YOU LOVE IT WHO REALLY CARES..

ITS THE PEOPLE THAT ASK SILLY MONEY FAULT THESE NEW ONES ARE HERE,,, OVERPRICED POTTERY EQUALS ,, LETS MAKE A NEW ONE THAT EVERYBODY CAN AFFORD,,, STILL I DO NOT KNOW,,, ARE THESE FAKES OR JUST NEW

Message 94 of 96
Latest reply

The Cambridge English Dictionary says

Fake : an ​object that is made to ​look ​real or ​valuable in ​order to ​deceive ​people.

There is the crux of the matter. These “new” items are intended to pass for genuine Barsony. If they are sold as “50’s lamp” “Barsony style” then there should be no problem – if people like the look, they don’t care where or by whom the item was made. If however they are passed off as a genuine article, then deception is intended.

Does it matter? Well, do you feel the same about a fake Rolex being passed off as genuine, or a 18ct gold plate ring being passed off as 18ct gold?

You say that real original Barsony is over-priced – well, the price of anything is what people are prepared to pay. There may be genuine rare Barsony examples that change hands for high prices but to the collector, they must be worth it. To me these fakes have spoiled the Barsony market – many of them are crudely made and crudely painted, and have devalued the original product. But then I am not a Barsony collector. Sadly in the world we live in, anything that has a consistently high collector value will ultimately be reproduced ie faked – the technology we have today allows that. This is different of course from new editions of vintage items being re-issued by the original factory, or being made new under licence. There at least you have some guarantee of the original quality. But still it should be made clear that these are not vintage items, but reproductions.

I would hate to try and estimate how many items (both new and second hand / vintage) that are on eBay today are not what they are being advertised as. This may be because of genuine error, ignorance or deliberate deception. But the result is the same. It is one of the reasons  many genuine collectors have left eBay (and these boards.) (Sadly most of the well-informed and helpful people who participated in this original post.) For myself I would never spend large amounts of money on something I had not personally inspected.

Message 95 of 96
Latest reply

HI ,, ARE THESE REPRODUCTION OR JUST MODERN ?

Message 96 of 96
Latest reply