AUD to USD about to go below 80c........

.......and some predict AUD to go as far down as 40c-50c in 4-5 years

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2015/01/anz-aud-in-final-days-above-80-cents/

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: AUD to USD about to go below 80c........

@paintsew007 wrote:

One opinion I gues. Another could be: no-one asked NZ if they wanted a few earthquakes, did they?.....and selling one's soul to the Chinese market-both exports and imports to make a few dollars now may not be what is deemed a 'successful' outcome by expert marketers with great long term vision.

It is not a boom that can last either.

Hasn't Gina R bought up lots of farms in QLD and they are going to produce milk/milk products for China? Maybe competition for NZ milk products which gives NZ its boom at present.

Message 11 of 27
Latest reply

Youโ€™d be amazed how much farm equipment is made in New Zealand with instruction books written in 20 different languages.

We have lots of iron ore and metals from mining-there's nothing stopping us from 'building' manufacturing plants. We could build and house big, huge, massive 3-D printers in them.....even via satellite. We would have no need to import many manufactured stuff.

Australia should go hi-tech.....the other thing we should be doing is irrigating our desert and grow lots of food to consume and feed others/export. No pests and disease out there. Use solar and wind power to generate enrgy etc.

Message 12 of 27
Latest reply

Where would the water come from to irrigate in the desert?

In NZ they are turning dry land (previously sheep/crop farms) into dairy farms and are irrigating the land to grow enough grass. That is not good though is it? Continual irrigation?  Doesn't it bring the salt to the top of the earth or similar and ruin it?

Message 13 of 27
Latest reply

Yes, any intensive use of the land can create problems
Message 14 of 27
Latest reply

so if there's anything you want to purchase.... do it now

things may be more expensive in the shops as early as next week

Message 15 of 27
Latest reply

to am3

ref

............................................................................................................................................................

I used to work with/knew a woman who worked for Hugall and Hoile ....many years back.

She worked for several years over in Saudi irrigating their desert to grow fruit and veg.

She told me that Australia is just one huge artesian bore.....and same can be easily done here.

Message 16 of 27
Latest reply

Bore water won't be good for anything once the fracking gets going. If you want to know what it will taste like just drink some of the green liquid in your vehicles radiator as glycol is the major liquid they use for fracking
Message 17 of 27
Latest reply

@creative*crisis wrote:
Now that you mention it I remember that now it made buying from the US very expensive.

Yes, it's a pain. We source some products from the US because that's the only place we can get the quality items from and when the dollard drops like this it gets way more costly.  These products are not made in Australia so the only choice is extremely **bleep**py imports or the real deal from the US.

Message 18 of 27
Latest reply

@paintsew007 wrote:

to am3

ref

............................................................................................................................................................

I used to work with/knew a woman who worked for Hugall and Hoile ....many years back.

She worked for several years over in Saudi irrigating their desert to grow fruit and veg.

She told me that Australia is just one huge artesian bore.....and same can be easily done here.

There is some truth to this. There are huge ( absolutely enormous ) reserves of water under much of the desert areas. The problem with much of this water, is that it is too saline for growing vegetables. I currently own an irrigation licence and come from an area where desert country has already been succesfully converted to irrigation. It has provided a boost to employment and increased land values.

Many of the growers have major problems with Coles and Woolies driving the price below cost of production. The supermarkets will import the vegies from Europe, NZ, South America etc. where they can be grown on natural rainfall ( no pumping costs ) with cheaper labour and favourable exchange rates.

Fracking is a major concern, with the current government allowing its mining mates to ruin the natural enviroment for ever ( and farmers livelihoods ) for the sake of a few energy dollars.

Another problem is that any project which shows any potential is promptly sold off, land and all  to the highest international bidder, with all profits going overseas. ( and employees coming in on 457 work visas )

There has to be a better way than the disjointed, fragmented policies we currently have on these sorts of issues.

Message 19 of 27
Latest reply

Satellite picture - A satellite photo of green crop circles in the Saudi Arabian desert

I don't know much about all this but I guess using artesian water resources or fossil water would have to be carefully regulated........"Fossil water is a nonrenewable resource. "

https://malate.wordpress.com/2009/12/15/home-by-yann-arthus-bertrand-text-version-part-i/

Message 20 of 27
Latest reply