Abstract Art - why talk about it if you don't get it.

I volunteer at a regional gallery and get to meet some wonderful, weird and wacky people.

But the ones that get up my goat are the ones who say "That looks like something a 5 year old would do." and expect me to agree with them.

And whilst we have a lot of community exhibitions that are amateurish enough (so perhaps the comment may be fair enough), the comment is usually reserved for iconic artists in major travelling exhibitions who are extremely well known.

Does anyone here like abstract art? And if you really hate it, why?

Message 1 of 368
Latest reply
367 REPLIES 367

Re: Abstract Art - why talk about it if you don't get it.

I liked the first blue painting posted. It wasn't just plain colour, but a swirl of different shades.

At least, I think it was. It's very difficult to get the message or the impact of the art from a little picture of it on a computer screen.

Message 331 of 368
Latest reply

"painting canvasses in one colour does not make an artist" In your opinion.

So once again why is your opinion on any work of art more valuable than someone else's? Different strokes for different folks, I highly doubt you would surround yourself with the same or similar decor as I do or listen to the same music. So why is it difficult to understand that others can appreciate and see value in art that you dislike?

Message 332 of 368
Latest reply

You must be replying to someone else. I never said "painting canvasses in one colour does not make an artist"

I said I didn't think that first blue painting was all one colour.

I wouldn't pay millions for any painting. Unless I still  had many many millions left over for beer and coffee and newspapers,

Message 333 of 368
Latest reply

@iapetus_rocks wrote:

You must be replying to someone else. I never said "painting canvasses in one colour does not make an artist"

I said I didn't think that first blue painting was all one colour.

I wouldn't pay millions for any painting. Unless I still  had many many millions left over for beer and coffee and newspapers,

Sorry iapetus, I was replying to Nevyn but got sidetracked by Vikings and forgot to post it until after the episode 😄

Message 334 of 368
Latest reply

I bet that the Vikings' appreciation of art didn't extend to include two seemingly plain blue painted panels. 😉

Message 335 of 368
Latest reply

No.  They preferred red and white.

Viking_Boat.jpg

Joono
Message 336 of 368
Latest reply

@poddster wrote:

The experts are just that, X Spurts X being the unknown quantity and a spurt is a drip under pressure.

May I ask just what artistry or talent the blue abomination took to create.

All it would have taken is a paint roller a straight egde and 10 minutes. no talent required.

It is a con job and the suckers fall for it hook line and sinker

We knew it as:

'EX' - a has been

'spurt' - a drip under pressure

but I agree with your summing up of the one and two colour paintings. 

Message 337 of 368
Latest reply

Only one person brought out the old "A 5 year old could do it" chestnut this morning. His version was "My grandaughter could do a better job with her eyes closed. Hahaha....". No one laughed. His wife told him to shut up and go and sit outside if he wanted to be a smart a$$. Everyone laughed.

And that was for a (quite well known and loved) Sydney Nolan.

Only one! Thats a refreshing change. Smiley LOL

Message 338 of 368
Latest reply

Just curious, is that comment split 50/ 50 between men and women?

Message 339 of 368
Latest reply

Interesting question Youcan!

Joono
Message 340 of 368
Latest reply