Abstract Art - why talk about it if you don't get it.

I volunteer at a regional gallery and get to meet some wonderful, weird and wacky people.

But the ones that get up my goat are the ones who say "That looks like something a 5 year old would do." and expect me to agree with them.

And whilst we have a lot of community exhibitions that are amateurish enough (so perhaps the comment may be fair enough), the comment is usually reserved for iconic artists in major travelling exhibitions who are extremely well known.

Does anyone here like abstract art? And if you really hate it, why?

Message 1 of 368
Latest reply
367 REPLIES 367

Interesting you say that youcandoit because I read something interesting once about a husband and wife collecting team.

She was criticising him because he only collected what he thought would be valuable and a good return on investment. And he was criticising her because she only collected what she thought was interesting and good.

But together both were right as their collection was balanced.

Message 351 of 368
Latest reply

@youcandoityoucandoityoucandoit wrote:

Mmm, interesting..

Maybe for males its also something to do with wanting to appear knowledgeable, but mocking is the knee jerk and first reaction.

And for women, perhaps they are willing to be absorbed by a work of art, to discover what their particular response is, and perhaps they are more willing to experience a work of art again and again before passing judgement?

I understand what you are saying re more guides, more curators and more visitors are women, but more- maybe even most, of the art that is being exhibited and talked about (even here) is produced by men.

And the majority of the biggest art collectors in the world- ie, the ones spending all those millions- are men..

Charles Saatchi

Eli Broad

Leon Black

Stephen Cohen

Donald Rubell

Glenn Fuhrman

Apparently it was 62% in 2014...

Makes you think.

Yes, makes me think; the blokes have all the cash..........

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 352 of 368
Latest reply

And that would be because traditionally men earn more in most professions than women, not because they are worth more.

Message 353 of 368
Latest reply

@rabbitearbandicoot wrote:

maybe it's because women are more gullible? 

oh yes, that old chestnut...

women are...

more gullible

more emotional

more naive

more susceptible

more trusting

more innocent

more unsophisticated

blah blah blah 

You make me laugh

Message 354 of 368
Latest reply

@youcandoityoucandoityoucandoit wrote:

@rabbitearbandicoot wrote:

maybe it's because women are more gullible? 

oh yes, that old chestnut...

women are...

more gullible

more emotional

more naive

more susceptible

more trusting

more innocent

more unsophisticated

blah blah blah 

You make me laugh

That's a lot of old chestnuts lol.

Message 355 of 368
Latest reply

@i-need-a-martini wrote:

Or are women more open to new ideas and concepts?

Perhaps women think more before they speak?

I dunno...

I think it may come down to "sensitivity".      Artists have "it", and observe and ( paint/play/sculpt) act on "it".  I consider that most females have "it". 

Over the past, and obviously currently, males were not encouraged to show "it".  

Hence the situation where a (hunter/gatherer) he-man, is surrounded by "sensitivity" (art)  he finds a need to bring a personal comfort of denying sensitivity and must display bluff and bravado.

OR

It is just a former working class based person trying to attain a better education and can't quite get the "grip" of being middle class on his way up the economic chain.

DEB

Message 356 of 368
Latest reply

@i-need-a-martini wrote:

Interesting you say that youcandoit because I read something interesting once about a husband and wife collecting team.

She was criticising him because he only collected what he thought would be valuable and a good return on investment. And he was criticising her because she only collected what she thought was interesting and good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_and_Dorothy_Vogel

Was it this couple?  Saw a documentary a couple of years ago about them.  Below I have  found this trailer for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiyLAlWR95M

DEB

Message 357 of 368
Latest reply

@lloydslights wrote:

@i-need-a-martini wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_and_Dorothy_Vogel

Was it this couple?  Saw a documentary a couple of years ago about them.  Below I have  found this trailer for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiyLAlWR95M

DEB

I don't think it was them. They don't sound familiar.

But that trailer looked so good that I have just ordered that DVD on Amazon lol!

Message 358 of 368
Latest reply

The Vogels- such a great couple, really inspiring. Theres also a second film, based on their donation of 1 work to a public museum in each of the 50 states. 

If you get a chance, take a look at the list of artists included in their collection- some of the most amazing abstract and conceptual artists from post 60s are included..another thing that is very interesting about their collection is the domestic scale of the works. They lived with the works, and wanted to see them everyday, they didnt buy as investors, but as lovers of art, and they met a lot of artists and had friendships with them...a very different collection because of their personalities and their need to collect, rather than just acquire because of the works value.

Did you see this in the paper yesterday?

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/art-and-design/john-kaldor-danny-goldberg-and-the-shermans-when-...

Curious to hear any comments...

Message 359 of 368
Latest reply

"Hence the situation where a (hunter/gatherer) he-man, is surrounded by "sensitivity" (art) ".

but who drew the cave art? was it men or women?

Message 360 of 368
Latest reply