Adler shotgun, do we really need this gun in australia?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-05/national-mps-angry-over-plans-to-reclassify-adler-shotgun/8091...

do we NEED this gun in australia or is there a NEED to have something by a few who just want it.

just what will this gun do that isnt being done by guns allready available?

i know it fires a lot more shots very quickly, but how is that important?

its not like anyones will be tring to 'drop' a rampaging elephant in australia.

i just dont get it, as ms hanson would say....PLEASE EXPLAIN?

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Maybe rabbits are bigger these days, and image if the rabbit charges the hunter before he gets 11 rounds off.

image host
Message 2 of 33
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

David, the gun is already here. 

They just want it re-classified into a 'softer' category, making it accessable to

professional pest controllers.   Culling an animal that destroys crops, sometimes

takes more than a single-shot gun.

Message 3 of 33
Latest reply

I have shot roos with a .22 before and they haven't even blinked. On one occasion I shot a huge buck at around 100 metres and he charged at me with obvious intent to attack. It was open ground and no-where to run. I had to reload my single shot several times and keep firing until he dropped only 20 metres away. It was like something out of a Terminator movie and a truly frightening experience.

Wild animals can run on adrenalin for a period of time when shot. On another occasion I shot another buck roo in the heart. He bounded at full flight for several hundred metres before just dropping, mid jump, rolling to a stop, stone cold dead.

Why have I used a .22 calibre gun to shoot roos ? Its a direct result of the current gun laws and restrictions on farmers owning high powered guns. I wont go into details here, but if restrictions where not so tight and expensive for farmers, I would be using something more suitable. I find it distressing that I currently don't have access to a suitable weapon and as a result, now employ a professional shooter to do the job for me.

Message 4 of 33
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Maybe rabbits are bigger these days, and image if the rabbit charges the hunter before he gets 11 rounds off.

As a child and teenager, I remember my father carried a 12 gauge shot gun around in the ute. He regularly used it to try to shoot deadly brown snakes around the home, atracted by the garden sprinkler dribbling bore water onto the parched lawn in the summer heat. They also appeared the amongst bags of screenings grain left in the paddocks to be collected after harvest for stock and chook feed or next years seed wheat. As the snakes are very fast and move from side to side, he didnt always get them first shot.  We would have to carefully remove the bags we where handling as the snake would still be there somewhere.

A stack of perhaps a hundred bags would get progressivly smaller as we loaded them onto the truck, until only a few remained. It was then we would often find the snake and the trusty shot gun would be deployed. I am sure my father would have liked a couple of extra shots in the chamber in case the first shot missed. Once dispatched the snake would be taken home to "show" my mother who had a genuine fobia about snakes.    Smiley Very Happy  

Ah the memories of a childhood long forgotten.

Message 5 of 33
Latest reply

"phobia"

Message 6 of 33
Latest reply

RPG's for snakes. Can't miss.
Message 7 of 33
Latest reply

Cos everyone's got a stockpile of those

Message 8 of 33
Latest reply

My brother was packing out a deer he'd shot, when he was confronted by a male black bear, who had smelled the deer blood, and hadn't realized that a human was there.  Bob fired his 7mm Remington with the end of the barrel touching the bear's throat.  Fortunately it only required the one round.......He reported the incident at the Prospect (Oregon) ranger station, where he was employed as a weapon-carrying ranger.

Message 9 of 33
Latest reply

dont get many bears around here, saw a bunny rabbit once

might need a multi firing shotgun, them rabbits have a mean streak a mile wide!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg

Message 10 of 33
Latest reply