All drink-drivers in NSW to lose licence

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Anyone caught drink-driving in NSW will lose their licence immediately under a tough new penalty regime that will also see offenders fined almost $600.

First time, low-range drink-drivers from May 20 will be slapped with an on-the-spot suspension of their licence for three months and a fine of $561.

Roads Minister Andrew Constance says NSW is taking a "zero-tolerance" approach to drink and drug-driving.

"This means anyone caught drink-driving in NSW, at any level, including low-range, can now lose their licence immediately," the minister said in a statement on Monday.

Drivers found with drugs in their system will face the same penalties if the offence is confirmed by laboratory analysis.

Some 68 people died in alcohol-related crashes on NSW roads last year. Drug-driving resulted in a similar number of deaths.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/all-drink-drivers-in-nsw-to-lose-licence/ar-AAAWNoG?ocid=sp...

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Licenced venues are going to love that.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

i wonder if there will be an exemption for 'somebodys'

the driver who says 'dont you know who i am? I'M SOMEBODY!'

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

Licenced venues are going to love that.
Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

I have to say I think I agree with the new laws regarding alcohol and drivers.  It's not that a tiny amount will lead to an accident, the real problem is that alcohol affects each person differently and that makes it impossible to monitor how a certain amount affects various drivers.

It's not the end of a social life though.  There can be designated drivers, call a cab, arrange for a family member pickup etc etc.  All it will mean is that people will (hopefully) become more responsible when driving.

Then again, it could be argued that some drivers drive like they're drunk anyway, even when totally sober!

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Exactly lyhargr, it's dangerous drivers like that who should never ever be allowed to drive again.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Nanny state gone mad !!!

I have never registered a positive on a roadside bretho and dont drink alchol that often, but hey alchol is legal and forms part of our social fabric.  A couple of quiet drinks at a party or over a meal helps to grease the wheels of conversation. Its not the people registering below .05 that are causing the accidents, its the numbnuts who get plastered and then get behind the wheel. 

Governments of all persuasions are more intent on appearing tough on just about everything, rather than actually doing real stuff to fix real problems. Country roads in South Australia are little better than billy goat tracks. What was governments response.......Reduce the speed limits on many major outlying country roads and not one dollar more for maintenance.

Same with drugs......Up the fines, automatic loss of licence, but no money for rehabilitation services. 

It is often those on the lower rungs of society who end up getting caught out by these policies. Cab fares are expensive and beyond the reach of many people, so they " take a chance " on getting home without getting caught. They loose their licence and then loose there job. Loose their job and their house is at risk. 

Draconian policies such as this simply compound the disadvantage for the most vulnerable in society and often tip those who are just hanging in there over the edge into extreme poverty. No licence, No job........... No job,  No money and No self esteem. ......No self esteem and nothing to do all day resulting in boredom and more substance abuse. Just another human train wreck that the social security system and health system can pick up the tab for. 

But what would the pollies know about any of this. If they want to go out and have a few drinks, the Commcar or taxi gold pass will get them home, or better still, they will just retire to their taxpayer funded luxury room at the Hyat or Hilton..

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Chameleon I agree with much of the opinion in your post.  At the same time though, the carnage from drink and drugs on the roads is extremely high and it could be argued that what is proposed is only a minor solution.

It's true to say that it is not fair to 100% of people who are very responsible and to those intelligent drivers who would never for one second endanger someone elses life or family, but that doesn't eradicate those who would and do just that.

As much as it might go against the grain in this kind of democracy, something meaningful has to be done to help (operative word "help") lower/stop the dreadful damage done, but even so, it still only scratches the surface and most likely, it won't stop it completely.

A twist  >>>> in the Star Trek series, they all drank "synthehol" at the bar, full on booze, tastes the same but no real alcohol and nobody gets inebriated!   Perhaps that is the real future, in which case, we'd all be more or less safe on the road, apart from idiot hoons .... Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

No, not draconian.

Truth is i don't want any drinkers on the road near me.  We all know the limits so stick with them.  At a  Christmas function i managed to  stay with one  wine and it hurt   :Smiley Frustrated   but i still managed to enjoy myself.       

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
No spoiler but can't get   rid of it  

(Silly spoiler, can't get rid of it )

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

The sooner they develop driverless cars, the better. Then we can once again become drunken, sports obsessed dinkum boofheaded Aussies. It's our national identity godammit!
Message 10 of 17
Latest reply