Animal cruelty: Woman jailed

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-25/animal-cruelty-charges-see-woman-jailed-31-dogs-43-cats/821307...

very sad news story

if anyone ever has any worries something like this is going on in your neighbourhood please call authorities.

not sure jail is the answer to what is likely a mental problem.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Animal cruelty: Woman jailed

Totally agree David    ..... cant stand any form of animal cruelty

'Cause we have 3 dogs, we need to get permission 'n have a council inspection every yr, doesnt worry me, we always pass with flying colours ( have to pay a yearly fee as well )

Sadly in the woman's case, I feel she is mentally disturbed, she sounds really needs treatment and be totally prevented from owing an animal at all

Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

"There isnt any long term residential care for anyone with mental health issues. when they are deemed unwell they go to a clinic for a while"

Some research today shows me there are some, but very few and limited, long term residential care facilities in Australia, but you are so right about most who need that kind of care ending up out on their own again and so that dreadful cycle continues.

Over the years, successive governments have dismantled, displaced and made many mentally ill people homeless, putting them into situations where they have no hope of a decent life/future at all.

Governments of any country bring a real shadow of shame to their countries when they do that,  in my opinion.

Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

but doesnt your experience show the reporting system working as it should

someone rightly or wrongly thought something needed looking into, reported it, the right people came and talked to you, examined your set up and passed you with flying colours.

id rather 50 people were inspected and found to be doing the right thing if it ment finding just 1 doing the wrong thing than people thought 'well i dont know, maybe its ok' when its not ok and they dont report it.

id be cool if the rspca came to my home and checked out my animals if someone thought i was misstreating any of them.

even if whoever it was did it maliciously cos it would backfire on them.

Not really...............  My dogs are well fed, shiny coats, healthy and clean. This is all easily seen from the adjoining road so the person who reported the dogs did not really think the thing through very well..

The problems for RSPCA officers is similar to our hospital emergency services which are being clogged up by people who have minor cuts or a cold. Some people just dont think.

As mentioned in the previous post, the RSPCA officer believes many of the reports she recieves are malicous. ie., neighbours barking dogs or people who have feral neighbours that sit around smoking dope and playing loud music all day. The animals might be well fed and healthy, roaming the back yard, but escape from time to time, upsetting the nearby residents. Rather than contact the council which is the appropriate course of action, they contact the RSPCA out of spite. The animals are healthy, just not being managed in a socially responsible way. I,m not suggesting you would do this David, but it seems many people do.

As I said, by all means report suspicians of genuine animal cruelty, but make sure it is done in a responsible way. The animal inspectors are challenged for time and resources and people making unfounded or malicous reports clog the system.

I,m not arguing with anyone here, just presenting a different aspect to the conversation, that others may not have thought of and has not been mentioned......Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

Just a few more thoughts.

As farmers living on the urban fringes we manage large numbers of animals and are constantly in the public eye. This isn't a problem if people have some basic knowledge of animals and animal husbandry, but can result in problems and unnecessarily stress if ignorant people start throwing unfounded accusations around. The Dorper sheep that naturally shed their wool is one good example. Another is the mulesing debate stirred up by PETA who have misleadingly, misrepresented poly styrene foam models of bloody gored lambs as real sheep to the public in their campaign's..

This is a sensitive area for farmers. My son has a small mob of around 100 Merino sheep. Last year I did a minor mules on his lambs. This year, due to the controversy surrounding mulesing I decided to try leaving the lambs un-mulsed. I went to our remote property on Tuesday and none of the mulsed sheep where flystruck. Of the 15 un-mulsed sheep, 3 where fly struck. Fly strike is much more harmful and painful to the sheep than mulesing and can result in death to the sheep from blood poisoning.   

Whilst this is a sensitive and difficult animal welfare issue, it is a clear example of how mis-informed, ignorant, city based interference in farm practices is actually causing animal welfare issues, rather than solving them.

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

there are people out there who believe all cats and dogs should live indoors, with heated beds and their own tv sets.

so of course there will be those that will call in silly reports. as long as the authorities take a sensible line all should be ok.

the real problem will be if you get an rspca officer with the same thoughts, lets hope that never happens.

Message 15 of 15
Latest reply