Animal cruelty: Woman jailed

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-25/animal-cruelty-charges-see-woman-jailed-31-dogs-43-cats/821307...

very sad news story

if anyone ever has any worries something like this is going on in your neighbourhood please call authorities.

not sure jail is the answer to what is likely a mental problem.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

ecar3483
Community Member

It would seem that she's a hoarder.

Rather than junk, she collects animals.

I have to wonder, does she live in suburbia?

The firies said "They found airborne ammonia contamination levels of 29 parts per million — breathing apparatus is required for environments with levels higher than 25 parts per million, while normal levels are close to zero".

Couldn't the neighbours smell it?

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

That report is just outrageous.

The law really is an ass.

Hicks received a $1,000 fine for each offence and the Magistrate ruled she could not own more than one dog for the next five years.

They would allow this woman to own even one dog?

The report says:

Hicks had previously been convicted of 83 animal cruelty charges in Queensland.

In 2008, she was fined $7,500 and ordered not to own any animals for the next three years, after 19 cats and 64 dogs were found living in squalor in her home in central Queensland.

Jail is not the ideal solution for this. Just look at that house. The woman cannot look after herself, let alone animals. There is clearly a severe mental problem there and has been for years. I would say at least 10 years because you can bet things were getting bad before she got caught in 2008.

I would say this woman should never, ever be allowed to own any animal or live alone. She needs to be put into care, some sort of home. Homes sometimes do have pets that visit and she would probably be fine to pat a visiting dog, but any magistrate who believes she could look after even one dog on her own is totally delusional.

So many of our magistrates are, unfortunately.

Oh and the fine: She has that sort of money and will pay up? I have my doubts.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

well said

using the criminal justice system to deal with the mentally challenged in society is not how we should be dealing with a problem, its lazy and prolly making problems worse.

as you say, this woman needs to be in supervised care not in jail with criminals.

but of course the underlying reason we dont do the right thing is.....IT WOULD COST MONEY.

money is allways in the background stuffing up how things should be

the 'who is going to pay' is the brick wall society hits even though not doing what should be done ends up costing so much more money in the long run.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Absolutely a moronic way to deal with the poor lady who obviously can't do anything for herself without full welfare and care.

I love animals, especially cats and am sad that the animals in the house couldn't be saved and rehomed but it seems it was too late.

To put the woman in jail though, and I agree with the comments already expressed in this thread, is a travesty and she should be in care both psychiatric and residential of the State if there is no family who can, or will care for her.

It seems to me that the most vulnerable are all too often left to their own devices to cope with what is impossible for them ....  Smiley Sad

So much for a democratic system that can't see past the purse strings in these situations that generate much suffering. 

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

There isnt any long term residential care for anyone with mental health issues. when they are deemed unwell they go to a clinic for a while. When deemed well they are released back into "the community". I have literally just gone thru the eviction process of a hoarder, got her out yesterday and the process started in September. Sherriffs removed her yesterday. There are WALLS of boxes full of **bleep** in there and the place is filthy. All down to her not managing her mental health issues, and her support workers not supporting her and me becoming a defacto social worker. A horrible process and a lot of money to be spent to fix up my unit. I feel for her, but her issues were not my responsibilty.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

@ecar3483 wrote:
"They found airborne ammonia contamination levels of 29 parts per million — breathing apparatus is required for environments with levels higher than 25 parts per million, while normal levels are close to zero".

Couldn't the neighbours smell it?

And what about the noise of the animals, it would be deafening.   If there are neighbours they are as bad as her.

Of course she needs some sort of psychiatric care, for the sake of herself and for the poor animals. 

And she's to be fined $1000 for each offence?    How many offences are there ......"dozens of dogs and cats", surely each one would be an offence?   And of course she would have say $60,000 tucked away to pay, how absurd.   . 

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

I can't add anything except to agree with what has already been said. 

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-25/animal-cruelty-charges-see-woman-jailed-31-dogs-43-cats/821307...

very sad news story

if anyone ever has any worries something like this is going on in your neighbourhood please call authorities.

not sure jail is the answer to what is likely a mental problem.

A sad situation all round. If people suspect animal cruelty on this level they do need to contact authorities, but please think before you dial the number. 

I was reported because my farm dogs are housed in a custom made kennel situation that a passer by did not like. It is raised off of the ground, fully insulated, covered deck type areas and grating to keep it clean. It includes suitable bedding and stainless steel, clean water and food containers. The officer commented it was one of the best set ups she had ever seen.

She went on to explain that they get a lot of people wasting thier time and resources making unfounded or poorly thought out complaints which all must be investigated. People become annoyed because the neighbours dog barks and contact the RSPCA out of spite rather than the council which is the appropriate process. ( no my dogs dont bark ) They constantly get reports about sheep losing thier wool from well meaning people who dont realise the sheep are Dorpers that naturally shed their wool. This wastes enormous amounts of the officers time as each reported case is visited, assessed and written reports made.

Malicous or unfounded reports take valuable, limited  resources away from the areas of real need. By all means report genuine cases of suspected cruelty, but please use this service responsibly.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

but doesnt your experience show the reporting system working as it should

someone rightly or wrongly thought something needed looking into, reported it, the right people came and talked to you, examined your set up and passed you with flying colours.

id rather 50 people were inspected and found to be doing the right thing if it ment finding just 1 doing the wrong thing than people thought 'well i dont know, maybe its ok' when its not ok and they dont report it.

id be cool if the rspca came to my home and checked out my animals if someone thought i was misstreating any of them.

even if whoever it was did it maliciously cos it would backfire on them.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply