Australia's alcohol idiot problem

I think it's past time the Australian government treated the problems associated with alcohol as it has been doing for a long time with cigarettes and smoking because while smoking is harmful to a person's health it usually only affects the smoker in a serious way themselves, whereas the problems arising from grog harm many around the drunken idiot.

Heavy drinking results in public brawling to the extent where death occurs to both the drinker and others they see fit to harm.

Heavy drinkers also seriously abuse kids and partners, both physically and mentally.

Alcohol abuse is a growing issue among our young people.

Alcohol abuse costs the country millions of dollars every year through loss of productivity due to the drinker chucking sickies because they are hungover or suffering ill effects of grog the following day.

Alcohol abuse results in way too many deaths and injuries on our roads every year.

alcoholics cost our public health system millions every years due to the serious issues it causes to the abuser.

I could go on and on about the bad side of grog, but it will start sounding as though I'm totally anti-grog if I do, when in fact I have absolutely nothing against anyone enjoying a drink or two, but I have a hell of a lot against what abusing the stuff causes.

So, I think it's time that the Australian government takes a far more serious approach to the subject.

To do this they should start off with banning all alcohol/and alcohol related products from public advertising - just as they did with smoking products many years ago.

Next they should slap on an immediate minimum tax price rise of 10% for all alcohol and alcohol related products, to be followed up within 6 months with a further 10% price rise on the lot.

These price rises should also hit the home grog making products market too.

additionally all consuming of ALL alcohol products should be totally banned from all public venues and licensing hours over the entire country should be reduced to far more reasonable hours, say midnight in all clubs and pubs etc.

Do you think I'm goping over the top?

OK, you may think so, but I'm sick to death of seeing the results of alcohol abuse at all levels in this country, and I can see no good reason why my tax dollors should go toward fighting a losing battle against the problems arising from grog abuse.

I've also been forced to attend too many funerals of innocent bystanders killed due to bloody idiot's bad habits while they walk away from it all almost Scot free.

Message 1 of 133
Latest reply
132 REPLIES 132

Re: Australia's alcohol idiot problem

Meep, those links don't work. But from what I can see the report given to the EU as part of a think tank on alcohol was rejected based on lack of evidence. I should also point out that Aric Sigman (the author of the report) is a bit of a quack who makes things up to reflect his 'family values' agenda. For example, he has published a much lambasted 'study' on how childcare damages development  and the furture health of children.

Message 111 of 133
Latest reply

@i-need-a-martini wrote:

Meep, those links don't work. But from what I can see the report given to the EU as part of a think tank on alcohol was rejected based on lack of evidence. I should also point out that Aric Sigman (the author of the report) is a bit of a quack who makes things up to reflect his 'family values' agenda. For example, he has published a much lambasted 'study' on how childcare damages development  and the furture health of children.

Aren't your beliefs on this topic based on your " family values" agenda?

siggie-reported-by-alarmists..............
Message 112 of 133
Latest reply

@siggie-reported-by-alarmists wrote:

@i-need-a-martini wrote:

Aren't your beliefs on this topic based on your " family values" agenda?

No they are based on my opinion and my experience.

This guys 'values' are a little extreme.

Either way - I am always happy to read links or studies that are in opposition of my opinion. It's just that in this case, the study was not acceptable to prove a point. I am sure that others can be founbd so be my guest. Smiley Happy

Message 113 of 133
Latest reply

@**meep** wrote:

Serve a child water......or milk......that's more age appropriate.

Saying it's apart of your culture, is another cop out, nor does it make it okay.

There are many cultural practices around the world that are being abandoned....because when people know better they change.

I also grew up in an environment with the belief that giving small amounts of alcohol to children was harmless, in fact, that it was beneficial.  My cousins were allowed to drink small amounts of beer.  We now know better.  

This is a good article providing links to studies and citing WHO.  One thing I hadn't considered is the possibility of greater risks of breast cancer.  http://www.medicaldaily.com/eu-report-warns-parents-against-giving-children-alcohol-245580  Children are often not old enough to make educated choices.  Its the parents' responsibility.

The link worked for me meep....here's an excert -

:..In most European cultures, there persists the belief that controlled portioning of alcohol for children inculcates a more refined,

temperate drinking culture, something more akin to the wine-drinking Mediterranean and less to the draft-pounding Northerners.

However, a new study commissioned by the EU shows that even small quantities of alcohol can lead to long-term health

problems with the development of alcoholism and, in girls, possibly greater risks of infertility and breast cancer.

The researcher noted a U.S. government-funded study that found a "far greater" risk of alcohol dependency among those who

had their first drink before the age of 18. Further, the World Health Organization (WHO) says, "The longer the onset of

consumption is delayed, the less likely it is that alcohol-related problems and alcohol dependence will emerge in adult life."

So who doesn't Martini believe in this article...the US government, EU or the World Health Organization?

Message 114 of 133
Latest reply

Drink Wise - 

Parents who drink alcohol
and have more lenient
attitudes towards alcohol are more
likely to have adolescents who consume
alcohol at risky and high risk levels.
Try not to make every family gathering or
celebration focus around alcohol. Make
a point of having alcohol-free events to
demonstrate to your children that you
can enjoy yourself without alcohol.".

.http://drinkwisewebsite.s3.amazonaws.com/2011/11/Parents-5-point-plan-_DELAY_Drinkwise-Wallet-Card.p...

THE TEENAGE BRAIN AND ALCOHOL –
WHY THEY DON’T MIX

Professor Ian Hickie AM, MD, FRANZCP, FASSA
Executive Director
The Brain and Mind Research Institute
University of Sydney

Once upon a time we thought that the

teenage brain was the same as an adult

brain; that it had already reached full

development. But now the science is telling 

us something very different...

From the age of around 12 or 13 through to the early twenties

the brain is in a state of intense development, moulding

and hardwiring in readiness for the challenges of adulthood.

Through a process called ‘frontalisation’ the brain is growing

and forming all the critical parts it needs for learning, memory,

planning, emotional stability and thinking.

The new science tells us that alcohol disrupts brain development

during this critical phase of growth. Teenagers who drink alcohol

risk their brains not reaching full capacity, which means they

might never reach their full potential as an adult.

Therefore, the best advice is to avoid introducing alcohol to

your teenager for as long as possible. New research shows that

they should not drink until at least the age of 18. Even after

that time it is best to minimise alcohol intake until the brain 

has finished developing around age 23 to 24 years.

Here’s why...

The brain on the left belongs

to a kid who hasn’t started

drinking; the brain on the right

belongs to a kid who started

drinking at age 15.

Source: Dr. Susan F. Tapert, University of California, San Diego
Spot the difference?
From Dr. Susan F. Tapert: “The picture on the left is of a 15
year old healthy non-drinking boy, while he was solving a
memory task. The picture on the right is of a 15 year old boy
who has been drinking five to six drinks, eight days out of every
month for the previous year. Note that the heavy drinker showed
less brain activation while doing the memory task. He also did
not perform quite as well on the task as the non-drinker.”

http://drinkwisewebsite.s3.amazonaws.com/2012/06/SDG-0416-DL-6pp-Kids-and-Alcohol.pdf

To view the images refered to in the article - click on the link..

There is plenty of information out their to educate kids and adults.....Woman Wink

Message 115 of 133
Latest reply

Sorry Martini, not sure why the link doesn't work.  It contained further links to other studies/WHO/others commissioned by the EU.

Drink Wise Australia is also a good source of information.  It contains a section explaining how  early introduction to alcohol is linked to alcohol problems later in life.  It also has a Delay 5 point plan for parents.

Message 116 of 133
Latest reply

@**meep** wrote:

I forgot to add.....teaching children to drink responsibly, doesn't require either the adult or child to have a drink in their hands.

Woman Happy)

I'd  hope not, otherwise I would have to exclude my child from PDHPE classes.

Woman Very Happy

Well, I see it like this....drug education classes, don't require the students to share a crack pipe with the teacher...because, well, that would be insane!

It also sends children mixed messages.

Message 117 of 133
Latest reply

sheedydog
Community Member

Recommend  reasonable Jimmy Smits tele movie The Broken Cord to those with any interest in this thread, if only for the closing line... basically young boy battling with FAS grows up, asked what the first thing he wants to do for his 18th or 21st, guess what that might be? 

Message 118 of 133
Latest reply

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2013/11/17/14/25/labor-wants-tougher-booze-laws

NSW Labor wants to lock people out of Sydney pubs and clubs in the early morning and to restrict the hours licensed premises can serve drinks to help reduce alcohol-fuelled violence.

The state opposition says it is committed to restrictions in Kings Cross and the Sydney city centre that would stop patrons being admitted to venues after 1am.

It also wants 3am last drinks and bans on high-alcohol content drinks after 10pm.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 119 of 133
Latest reply

@punch*drunk wrote:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2013/11/17/14/25/labor-wants-tougher-booze-laws

NSW Labor wants to lock people out of Sydney pubs and clubs in the early morning and to restrict the hours licensed premises can serve drinks to help reduce alcohol-fuelled violence.

The state opposition says it is committed to restrictions in Kings Cross and the Sydney city centre that would stop patrons being admitted to venues after 1am.

It also wants 3am last drinks and bans on high-alcohol content drinks after 10pm.

images.jpg

Message 120 of 133
Latest reply