Bark control collars

If you search for a dog collar on eBay, you'll be bombarded by 'bark control collars'.

Basically when the dog barks, an electronic shock is sent to the dog's neck that travels through their body.

Most of these collars have bids on them. Does nobody know that these collars are so dangerous and so traumatic that they are close to being illegalized in some countries?

Message 1 of 106
Latest reply
105 REPLIES 105

Bark control collars

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

They are illegal in some states of Australia.....there was a thread about it some time ago where the OP was annoyed that hers was confiscated when she took her dog to a vet in another state I think.

Message 2 of 106
Latest reply

Bark control collars

Really? Some vets and councils recommend them for dog training when neighbors complain about excessive barking.
Message 3 of 106
Latest reply

Bark control collars

Be good if there was a similar collar for humans. I'm thinking most 'celebrities'...and all TV weather forecasters. Jeeze, do they drone on, and on, and on.

Message 4 of 106
Latest reply

Bark control collars

You dont have to get a electric shock control collar.

The Citronella collars are great, dog barks and gets a citronella spray in the face.

I have seen these collars work and they are great

Message 5 of 106
Latest reply

Bark control collars

Can it get in their eyes?

Joono
Message 6 of 106
Latest reply

Bark control collars

Joono I have watched a dog with one and did not seem to get in his eyes.

The Dog Bobby lived next door to me and would bark night and day, his owners never used to take him for a walk, poor dog.

I even bought him a ball so he could at least have some thing to play with.

If I went out and told him to shut up he would, but got sick of getting out of bed at 3 in the morning.

I saw the citronella collar pamphlets at a market so put one in the neighbours letter box.

With in a week Bobby had his collar, it used to make him sneeze at first then he was ok.

Message 7 of 106
Latest reply

Bark control collars

the collar should go on the negectful owners.

Message 8 of 106
Latest reply

Bark control collars

@azureline** wrote:
Really? Some vets and councils recommend them for dog training when neighbors complain about excessive barking.

Unfortunately thats the problem. Trainers that advocate the pack theory and the use of dominance or "submission" will recommend products such as a bark control collar. What they don't realize is that these types of devices suppress excessive barking, they don't change the situation. Usually when a dog barks excessively it means they're not getting enough exercise.

Trainers that use positive reinforcement techniques have a much higher rate of long-term success treating dogs that bark a lot. But yes, it's a real shame so many councils and trainers still reccommend these types of collars 😞

Message 9 of 106
Latest reply

Bark control collars

@lionrose.7 wrote:

You dont have to get a electric shock control collar.

The Citronella collars are great, dog barks and gets a citronella spray in the face.

I have seen these collars work and they are great

I've heard of those and yes, they do seem a lot kinder and more effective.

Message 10 of 106
Latest reply