Bark control collars

If you search for a dog collar on eBay, you'll be bombarded by 'bark control collars'.

Basically when the dog barks, an electronic shock is sent to the dog's neck that travels through their body.

Most of these collars have bids on them. Does nobody know that these collars are so dangerous and so traumatic that they are close to being illegalized in some countries?

Message 1 of 106
Latest reply
105 REPLIES 105

Bark control collars

Personally, I would never use one on any  of my dogs,  I am amazed  that any "ethical" vet would recommend using one

Message 11 of 106
Latest reply

Bark control collars

I'm really glad to hear that you would never use one, thanks for joining the conversation 🙂
Message 12 of 106
Latest reply

Bark control collars

I would not use one on my dog, however there are a few kids around Woman Wink

Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light.
Message 13 of 106
Latest reply

Bark control collars

Haha good one 😉
Message 14 of 106
Latest reply

Bark control collars

I dont use  any type of collar on my dogs at home, way to dangerous, so many dogs have choked this way

Message 15 of 106
Latest reply

Bark control collars

In my opinion (not that we have a dog but we did for a while, a rescue border collie that we found a forever home for), the 'shock collars' are dreadful and cruel.

We will get a dog somewhere up the track and when training it, if it has a barking problem, it will only be the lemon spray type.  It's a gentle and kind approach ...  Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 106
Latest reply

Bark control collars

I've stopped using a collar on my old girl because of that very reason. She somehow had managed to get her head stuck behind the aviary, which is near the fence, and her collar caught on a protruding bolt. She was very sore for a few days but that was the end of wearing a collar.

I tried using a citronella collar on my now departed verbose dog. The first couple of sprays stopped the barking but after that, it didn't bother her at all and the barking continued....

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 17 of 106
Latest reply

Bark control collars

I shouldn't laugh, but it's funny to hear of a dog who likes a lemon taste ... if our 'yet to be' dog turns out like that, we still wouldn't use a 'shock collar', I guess we'd have to study up different ways via the 'Dog Whisperer'.

Message 18 of 106
Latest reply

Bark control collars

@*pepe wrote:

the collar should go on the negectful owners.

Completely agree!

Our rescue was a barker but usually when someone walked too close to the front entrance or knocked on the door, used to drive me crazy!

Lots of TLC later and now he barks with excitement if a visitor comes! but stops when told.

He wears a soft collar with his name and phone number and council tags as well as microchip tag because should he ever be able to get out the gate, someone has his details immediately, to call me.

Currently there is an issue in our street about 2 barking dogs, cattle dogs, the neighbour 2 streets over has door knocked and letter box dropped a very angry complaint, as well as called council. It seems the owners have addressed this as I have not heard the dogs for a week but they are still there, they are both wearing a collar with a small black attachment.

Message 19 of 106
Latest reply

Bark control collars

BC I know of two owners who came home to find that their beloved dog had choked to death due to it's collar being caught on something in the yard 😞

I personally have never collared any of my dogs when they are at home, apart from the danger factor, it marks their neck and I just dont see a need to do it.

Message 20 of 106
Latest reply