Bondi Junction massacre

Approx 4.30pm a lone male went and stabbed 6 people to death at Bondi Junction shopping mall yesterday:-(

Another day to remember but for all the wrong reasons. What would make someone do this?

Message 1 of 45
Latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: Bondi Junction massacre

Actually no - I don't want to go there - and - it's not about you.

Message 21 of 45
Latest reply

I don’t underestimate the need for better mental health resources and supports.

Where I take issue is

• the apparent shrugging off over the alleged use of methamphetamines and psychedelic drugs, and

• the focus away from actual use of a knife in multiple attacks allegedly intended to murder strangers (and actually resulting in multiple deaths).

Chameleon, my sense of you is that you’re compassionate and that you have experience of people suffering with mental health. I think you’ve seen some things from that perspective… 

I cannot override the right of innocent people (who have no interaction or history with the man who killed them) to be safe from such attack, not to be murdered, over the rights of the man in question.

The man had apparently made life choices that could be anticipated to increase the risk of violent behaviour. There is no mitigation for making those choices.

That said, I am all in favour of more research into preventing and/or treating mental illnesses, and how to manage the balance between free will and the inherent dangers associated with drug use (and what sort of things society can do when a mentally ill person won’t comply with prescribed treatment - if that is what happened).

The public focus at the moment is on the horror of the attacks and the unimaginable grief of the families and loved ones of who have been killed. That is where it needs to be; later there should be discussions on how to prevent or reduce such things, which will obviously include dealing with mental illness. I agree that not enough is being done and not enough money is being allocated - but that’s true for health and medical research in general, despite the devastation of COVID-19.

Message 22 of 45
Latest reply

Absolutely 

*This* terrorist was not a victim

He is not a 'poster boy' for mental illness 

There is no possible justification or excuse of any kind for his actions 

Ever

Message 23 of 45
Latest reply

I am not in any way diminishing the actions of the man with the knife. My posts are merely aimed at presenting a different perspective on the opening post to the reactive, uninformed comments a few have chosen to make on this thread.

" Approx 4.30pm a lone male went and stabbed 6 people to death at Bondi Junction shopping mall yesterday:-(

Another day to remember but for all the wrong reasons. What would make someone do this? "

Perfectly reasonable I would have thought, but as always there are some who have to belittle and denigrate anyone who takes a more lateral / informed view to the common black and white position of the mob.

I will leave you to it. 

Message 24 of 45
Latest reply

So - we are now the ' mob '.

In this instance there is no ' lateral/informed view '. 

And it is totally - black & white - wrong on all levels.

Not known to the police - so no radar there.

No excuses - not even one.

Terrorist.

Message 25 of 45
Latest reply

So what ideology was he motivated by?

There is a difference between terrorism and mass murder.

Terrorism is spurred by a specific ideology or political motivation, while mass murder is a more indiscriminate act of violence against an innocent population.

Mass murderer , yes! Terrorist? Without links to a known organisation or a copy of his manifesto, not demonstrated and cannot be assumed!!

Message 26 of 45
Latest reply

No where was ' terrorism ' mentioned.

This man terrorised many :

What is a synonym for terrorization?

ambush arm-twisting bullying coercion duress force intimidation persuasion pressure reign of terror strong-arm tactics terrorism threat.7 Apr 2024

Message 27 of 45
Latest reply

From what I have read, this man wasn't 'estranged' from his family, they were worried about him and had even contacted his bank to see if there had been transactions and if he was okay.

The estrangement was of the man's choosing and probably came about after he stopped his medication.

When he attacked people, he was off his medication.

I was also told (and not sure if it is fact or not) that the family had confiscated his knives some time back and he had reported them to police for theft.

My take on it is yes, mental health is not given the funding it deserves, but also that we need to take firmer steps to make sure people with severe problems are in fact on their medication.

And if that means making them report weekly somewhere for a blood test or whatever, so be it. I don't see that it has to be at a police station, it could be at a medical clinic.

I suspect that had this man been on his proper medication, this whole scenario may not have unfolded.

If the knife statement is accurate, if this man had a fascination with knives and if this came to the attention of the police, it's massive red flag. The man should have been immediately screened medically. With or without his permission.

I don't believe we can ever get on top of each and every mental episode. Impossible.

All we can hope for is to do better.

Message 28 of 45
Latest reply

Plus it being planned mass murder, visiting three different Westfields to 'scope them out' 

Planned

No 'something snapped' not 'impulsive' not 'pushed to it because someone looked at him the wrong way'

Planned

And for some weeks

And the father said 'had he been in his right mind, he would have been horrified at what he had done'

What the ??????

Had he been in his right mind .....................

He thinks he still would have done it in his right mind?????

Message 29 of 45
Latest reply

Had he been in his right mind, after the fact (medicated) he would have been horrified had he survived.

That's what I think is meant...we'll never know

Message 30 of 45
Latest reply