COVID-19 and homelessness

martinw-48
Community Member
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-17/calls-for-housing-eviction-bans-during-coronavirus-outbreak/1...

This could become a major issue but you'd have to be a heartless landlord to evict someone that couldn't pay their rent due to not being able to work because it was COVID-19 related
Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: COVID-19 and homelessness

And what about the land lord who can't pay his mortgage because his tenants aren't paying rent?
Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

And what about the people who cannot pay their mortgages....do   think the banks are going to be lenient?

My guess there would be a lot of foreclosures,

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

on radio they said the govt is working on the next stimulus package, i'm sue the homeless will be on top of the list for help

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

martinw-48
Community Member
Crikey and Lyndal, maybe the banks could be a bit forgiving at this time too.
Once again being the stupid moron I am I don't see how any will benifit from evicting a previously sound tenant or the banks foreclosing during a situation outside of anyones control.
I'm glad that I won't have to deal with any of this BS
Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

the way things are going banks will be going out of business too

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

on radio they said the govt is working on the next stimulus package, i'm sue the homeless will be on top of the list for help

Yes, just as they always are.

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

I don't think there's anything in Cash Splash 2.0 for the ordinary Joe Citizen

Looks like it's for businesses

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/australian-government-signals-second-round-of-stimulus...

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

@crikey*mate wrote:
And what about the land lord who can't pay his mortgage because his tenants aren't paying rent?

I imagine if a tenant can no longer pay rent , govt rent assistance will be available and as such at least the landlord will be paid that portion of the rent - also I think for once the banks are going to be accommodating , more so as I suspect the Govt will have to underwrite problem mortgages due to coronavirus effects

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

And what about the people who cannot pay their mortgages....do   think the banks are going to be lenient?

My guess there would be a lot of foreclosures,

I disagree, I am sure the government can/will step in to prevent this happening

It would be a very brave bank who took that kind of action during this crisis

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply