Coronavirus update

Coronavirus update: Formula One Grand Prix called off, Trump announces travel ban, Tom Hanks tests positive

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-12/coronavirus-live-updates-mclaren-lewis-hamilton-travel-ban/12...

Message 1 of 3,689
Latest reply
3,688 REPLIES 3,688

Re: Coronavirus update

Unless family in China paid for it?
Message 231 of 3,689
Latest reply

Today in the supermarket

Came across 3 separate people on their phones and heard them say with desperate looks on their faces .'there's no toilet paper'

Never mind the shelves empty of foodstuffs, just the TP.

I'm really over it.

I felt like going up and saying 'use your left hand'

Am so  over it. 

Message 232 of 3,689
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

@brerrabbit585 wrote:

As I pointed out earlier, we can't trust everything we read. A lot of what's being reported is alarmist and not factual. A lot of young people exist on junk food anyway, especially a lot who are away from home at uni. They think they're healthy but they just haven't been diagnosed with anything yet. Then there's all the refugees in Europe, including the ones still in large camps. A lot of them wouldn't have had access to adequate nutrition. There are too many variables that nobody is bothering to mention so numbers and statistics don't mean a lot.

The bottom line is that everyone needs to be sensible and only go out when necessary. From what I'm reading in facebook groups a lot are already doing this. I'm sure a lot of others will take it more seriously soon enough. There are still public gatherings being advertised and I'm sure they're expecting more than 100 people so I just don't get some people. Someone was advertising one on fb for tomorrow and Saturday - a flower exhibition but also fruit & vegetables, which means they must be expecting quite a few exhibitors. It was in Moss Vale and was their annual show.  Maybe the person who mentioned it just isn't aware of whether or not it's been cancelled.

If you had been to a UNI - lately - looked around - some of the healthiest food going.

Culturally diverse - nothing unhealthy about a salad - a kebab - Indian.

Rocks.

Ok...well no...most of us here haven't been to Uni lalely, or "looked around"....

I don't find rocks very nutritional...not that I've ever had them...

Message 233 of 3,689
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585 wrote:

@the_great_she_elephant wrote:

Brerrabbit wrote: I know someone who goes on cruises that are paid for by someone else and they never declare it to Centrelink. One day they'll get caught out (I hope so).

Why would they have to declare the gift of cruise tickets to Centrelink? Should they also be expected to declare the value of every Birthday or Christmas present they receive or the cost of their meal any time someone takes them ot to dinner?

The rules have always been that they have to declare gifts.  If someone pays your electricity bill for you, you're supposed to declare it.  If someone pays for a cruise worth a few thousand dollars, they're supposed to declare it.  It's no different to someone giving them money and then they spend it themselves (rather than the other person do the actual paying).

Just did a quick google. You don't have to declare it if its a one off gift or if the money is to be used for everyday expenses eg. food, bills. The gift does have to be reported if it is to be used to fund or partily fund the purchase of an  assert.

Message 234 of 3,689
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

@domino-710 wrote:

@brerrabbit585 wrote:

As I pointed out earlier, we can't trust everything we read. A lot of what's being reported is alarmist and not factual. A lot of young people exist on junk food anyway, especially a lot who are away from home at uni. They think they're healthy but they just haven't been diagnosed with anything yet. Then there's all the refugees in Europe, including the ones still in large camps. A lot of them wouldn't have had access to adequate nutrition. There are too many variables that nobody is bothering to mention so numbers and statistics don't mean a lot.

The bottom line is that everyone needs to be sensible and only go out when necessary. From what I'm reading in facebook groups a lot are already doing this. I'm sure a lot of others will take it more seriously soon enough. There are still public gatherings being advertised and I'm sure they're expecting more than 100 people so I just don't get some people. Someone was advertising one on fb for tomorrow and Saturday - a flower exhibition but also fruit & vegetables, which means they must be expecting quite a few exhibitors. It was in Moss Vale and was their annual show.  Maybe the person who mentioned it just isn't aware of whether or not it's been cancelled.

If you had been to a UNI - lately - looked around - some of the healthiest food going.

Rocks.

Ok...well no...most of us here haven't been to Uni lalely, or "looked around"....

@icyfroth wrote:

@domino-710 wrote:

@brerrabbit585 wrote:

Rocks.

I don't find rocks very nutritional...not that I've ever had them...well not to eat, had plenty of them thrown at me...figuratively speaking, lol.

Message 235 of 3,689
Latest reply

LOL my Toilet is in the bathroom about 5 feet away from the shower, which can be hand held.

So if I run out of loo paper I will still have a clean bottom 🙂

Message 236 of 3,689
Latest reply

Lucky you.  And I've always wanted a bidet.  If I had to choose betweej a spa or a bidet the bidet would win. 

Message 237 of 3,689
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585 wrote:

@rogespeed wrote:

Musings from possibly an alternate universe : 

You got that bit right.

just a disclaimer 

Message 238 of 3,689
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

@domino-710 wrote:

@brerrabbit585 wrote:

Rocks.

I haven't been to a European university for a while, but then again, I doubt domino has either.

Message 239 of 3,689
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

@rogespeed wrote:

Musings from possibly an alternate universe : 

This afternoon dunny paper ( despite rationing) and now potatoes , at least in part seems strongly a veiled statement of consternation regarding the virus crisis or the issues behind the handling of the crisis that has interrupted cosy lifestyle or powers in waiting , by those who expected no mitigating action , even no disclosure of a new flu like virus - just a quiet removal of " boomer" age people through seasonal respiratory complications 

No shortage of cigs and booze - go figure 

OK then - I don't consider myself lacking - but the only bit I got was - the cigs & booze.

Go figure.

Meant that some sorts out there may have preferred that coronavirus be just considered another flu and treated accordingly , with traditional values "boomer age" passings being of no alarm , and with the paupered emerging liberated new hope millennials being blissfully spared 

Would not need many individuals of that sentiment to express their angst by buying just enougth t/paper items to trigger a stampede of the flighty shopper herd  and so create a statement using the herd as a cover 

Message 240 of 3,689
Latest reply