Coronavirus update

Coronavirus update: Formula One Grand Prix called off, Trump announces travel ban, Tom Hanks tests positive

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-12/coronavirus-live-updates-mclaren-lewis-hamilton-travel-ban/12...

Message 1 of 3,689
Latest reply
3,688 REPLIES 3,688

Re: Coronavirus update

@countessalmirena wrote:

I'm replying to the thread rather than to the last post...

I now understand rather more fully why SA Health were so alarmed by this cluster. On the basis of the information that they had, it seemed that it might possibly be a more virulent / more easily transmittable strain - or else that the particular epidemiological circumstances led to higher and faster transmission rates.

If fomite transmission was happening readily, no wonder the CPHO was so alarmed. No wonder the whole state was shut down; no wonder takeaway was being shut down and bakeries shut down. In the context of that assumption (reasonable on the basis of the evidence at hand), that was a frighteningly necessary thing to do.

But once they began to suspect that the second Peppers Waymouth security guard's account did not make sense in terms of additional evidence or analysis, and pressed that point to discover that he was indeed lying, it would have been simultaneously a huge relief and a tremendous feeling of outrage at the unnecessary severity of the statewide lockdown.

As I understand it (in case anyone reading this thread hasn't got the gist of it, which is possible as it's a little confusing), it all starts with an older woman testing positive in hospital before having a procedure performed. Her case is easily and quickly traced to a close contact, her daughter. The daughter is a cleaner at Peppers Waymouth, and she caught the virus from one of the returned overseas people quarantined there. That's how the whole thing originated... and that was reportedly through fomite transmission. (However, I'm less convinced now of that, because SA Health were working on the assumption that fomite transmission was a factor because of "the lie". Anyway, somehow the cleaner was infected and it's reasonable to assume that the source was a returnee in the hotel. Genomic testing will establish that.)

Contact tracing took place. All of the staff at the hotels were tested. Two security guards at Peppers Waymouth tested positive. One of these two also worked at Woodville Pizza Bar, so of course that expanded the possible close contacts. Family and close contacts of the cleaner and those two security guards were tested, and we know that the virus had already spread among them. But the chain of transmission was identified - no mystery cases, so although the cluster was upsetting, it was not actually alarming and it looked to be under control.

BUT - there quickly came a spanner in the works. A security guard at another medi-hotel (the Stamford) tested positive. Contact tracers could find no connection between him and the other cases. The security guards didn't work shifts at different medi-hotels. Alarm bells were rining; what was the connection? Questioning by the contact tracers resulted in a disturbing conclusion. The Stamford security guard said he'd ordered takeaway pizza from the Woodville Pizza Bar - and without any other contact emerging, the conclusion was that getting that takeaway pizza - which was a very casual contact indeed - must have been the point of transmission. That meant fomite tranmission in a casual situation - and that was incredibly dangerous. That's why the shutdown was announced.

Something must not have added up, though. Suspicion was raised; the Stamford guard was pushed harder, and he finally admitted that he actually worked at the pizza bar as well as working as a security guard. He was not a casual contact having contracted COVID-19 through a takeaway order - he was a close contact of the other security guard (from Peppers Waymouth) by virtue of their both being employed at that same pizza bar.

Not only did the Stamford guard lie, but there's something very wrong with that pizza bar management and staff. Surely the manager must have known full well about the employment situation? I can't imagine he wasn't questioned. Did any of the staff not realise that the guy was an employee rather than a casual customer? Didn't the Peppers Waymouth guard realise it? It's hard to believe that the two security guards working at the same pizza bar wouldn't have exchanged stories about their security guard work.

It's an expensive lie, and a stupid lie - and completely unnecessary.

(But what a plot for a story...)

SA should be able to get on top of this cluster. I'm relieved for the sake of the South Australians who were prepared to brave the rigours of full-throttle lockdown.

Just on the subject of dogs and walks, I once tried to take my cat for a walk. He growned menacingly, scratched, bit, and refused to co-operate. (He didn't mind following me on my run because he was of the impression that he was acting entirely voluntarily.)

Currently he was within his lawful rights to deceive and/or withhold pertinent information ..... 

Message 3091 of 3,689
Latest reply

@twyngwyn wrote:
36 yo Spaniard here on a graduate visa:

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/sa-covid-lockdown-investigated-by-woodville-pizza-sh....

To be expelled from our almost virus free wonderland on charactor grounds - so then he can join his mates in Spain speading the love ?

Message 3092 of 3,689
Latest reply

looks like a vaccine is going to be released soon - but has not one step in the safelty process been missed - namely testing on vaccine company employees ? Particularly senior management , supervision and majority share holders 

But of course waiting for official approval.... 

Message 3093 of 3,689
Latest reply

That's a bit ' sick '. 

Message 3094 of 3,689
Latest reply

SA travellers released from NT quarantine after Adelaide's coronavirus hotspot status revoked

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-21/adelaide-quarantine-coronavirus-hotspot-revoked-in-nt/1290723...

putting faces to the story of how one lie can send ripples through society hurting thousands

pizza boy has a lot to answer for

Message 3095 of 3,689
Latest reply

looks like things are returning to normal pretty quickly. My daughter works casual in hospitality and was laid off for two weeks when the lockdown was announced. Her work has called her back to return to normal rosters starting tommorow.

While it is not over yet, its looking like the hard and fast measures introduced by the SA government, may have allowed the state to dodge a bullet. Lets just hope they can keep up the good work and snuff the outbreak out completely.

Message 3096 of 3,689
Latest reply

But....we're not letting you lot in Vic just yet, only the ones with permits.

Coronavirus: Uncertainty for Victorian border communities (msn.com)

Message 3097 of 3,689
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

But....we're not letting you lot in Vic just yet, only the ones with permits.

Coronavirus: Uncertainty for Victorian border communities (msn.com)

I wouldnt let us in if I was you either.........Man Very Happy

Message 3098 of 3,689
Latest reply

@rogespeed wrote:

looks like a vaccine is going to be released soon - but has not one step in the safelty process been missed - namely testing on vaccine company employees ? Particularly senior management , supervision and majority share holders 

But of course waiting for official approval.... 

Why would you expect the employees to be used for testing purposes? Or the shareholders? 

Message 3099 of 3,689
Latest reply

Daniel Andrews will announce more eased coronavirus restrictions in Victoria today. Here's what we know so far

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-22/victoria-coronavirus-covid19-restrictions-rule-changes/128883...

Message 3100 of 3,689
Latest reply