Dublin priest tells congregation he is gay – and wins standing ovation

13 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

HE is GAY not a Pedo, gee where do you people get your education from !!!

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 197
Latest reply

@donnashuggy wrote:

Are you saying gay men like little boys? I don't think so

I think they are saying gay men  are paedophiles.   Which is very sad , and blinkered thinking. 

Message 20 of 197
Latest reply

wow since "straight" people also molest (including women) they must be highly stressed with worry over EVEYONE that their kids have come into contact with

Message 24 of 197
Latest reply

I am always lost for words when anyone suggests gays are pedophiles.

Need a dictionary?

Message 30 of 197
Latest reply

Homosexuality is an orientation, pedophilia, a peversion (at least in our society), it's possible to be one without being the other and peversions are exclusive to no, one orientation.

Message 31 of 197
Latest reply

Are homosexual adults in general sexually attracted to children and are preadolescent children at greater risk of molestation from homosexual adults than from heterosexual adults? There is no reason to believe so. The research to date all points to there being no significant relationship between a homosexual lifestyle and child molestation. There appears to be practically no reportage of sexual molestation of girls by lesbian adults, and the adult male who sexually molests young boys is not likely to be homosexual(Groth & Gary, 1982, p. 147).

In a later literature review, Dr. Nathaniel McConaghy (1998) similarly cautioned against confusing homosexuality with pedophilia. He noted, "The man who offends against prepubertal or immediately postpubertal boys is typically not sexually interested in older men or in women" (p. 259).

These are cases in which the term pedophilia – referring as it does to attractions to prepubescent children – can cause confusion. Rather than pedophilia, the accusations stemming from these scandals raised the question of whether gay people shouldn't be trusted in positions of authority where there is any opportunity for sexually harassing or abusing others.

Here again, there is no inherent connection between an adult's sexual orientation and her or his propensity for endangering others. Scientific research provides no evidence that homosexual people are less likely than heterosexuals to exercise good judgment and appropriate discretion in their employment settings. There are no data, for example, showing that gay men and lesbians are more likely than heterosexual men and women to sexually harass their subordinates in the workplace. Data from studies using a variety of psychological measures do not indicate that gay people are more likely than heterosexuals to possess any psychological characteristics that would make them less capable of controlling their sexual urges, refraining from the abuse of power, obeying rules and laws, interacting effectively with others, or exercising good judgment in handling authority.

But don't let the research and facts get in the way of prejudice.

Photobucket

Message 40 of 197
Latest reply

And just keep them in the company of "straight" priests Icy?. Even though your beef should be with priests, clergy etc you still want to peg this to an exclusive homosexual trait... which it is irrefutably is not.

Message 46 of 197
Latest reply

What a load of absolute ignorant bull**bleep**! Being gay has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with paedophilea and to even think that shows how **bleep**ing ignorant some people still are! Nasty and narrow minded, not to mention,.how insulting to gay men. Gay men are attracted to adult men. Gay women are attracted to adult women. Hetero men are attracted to adult women. Hetero women are attracted to adult men. Paedophiles are attracted to children.

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins

Message 48 of 197
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

@donnashuggy wrote:

and now we're asked to endorse the very type of person who is liable to the very same type of behavior!

Where?

In Dublin where we stand up and applaud a priest who outs his homosexuality.

Catholic priests vow to celibacy, if I'm not mistaken.

How would you ever trust anyone who breaks such a sacred vow?

That is a different thing altogether, imo.

He is outing himself as being homosexual, his celibacy is not in question is it?

He can be homosexual and still celibate, not hard to understand.

Message 79 of 197
Latest reply

Homophobia    ....

Homophobia is the term used to describe the irrational fear, hatred, aversion to or discrimination against people who are homosexual, or same-sex attracted, or who are perceived to be homosexual or same-sex attracted.

http://www.acon.org.au/youth/Homophobia/what-is-homophobia

Message 85 of 197
Latest reply

It must be terrible to think like that and living in fear because of ignorance.

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins

Message 88 of 197
Latest reply

I think the glasses you put on Icy just further warp your vision. The rest of us have enough clarity that we don't need glasses to know which way is right.

Message 149 of 197
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

@donnashuggy wrote:

So you would prefer there were no gay priests? Is that what you are saying icy?

No I don't care either way. I would uncomfortable with a priest standing up at the pulpit in church and telling everyone he's gay though. Not that I'm catholic or go to church anyway.

a. because it's none of my business or anyone else's what his personal sexual leanings are, anymore than I would get up in front of an audience and announce that I was hetero. It would be inappropriate

b. because I would consider it a breach of his celibacy vows.

c. in light of the revelations of child abuse in the church I'd feel I couldn't trust him around children.

I think I made my views why quite clear here and if ppl don't agree, so be it.

b. because I would consider it a breach of his celibacy vows.

Icy, you are labouring under a huge misconception here. A priest can be homosexual, heterosexual or even bisexual without breaching his vow of celibacy. these terms refer to a man's sexual orientation (what turns him on, if you like) it does not have to meanhe is sexually active 

I asked you in a previous post if you believed that in order to keep his vow of celibacy  a priest had to be a eunuch.and you agreed that such wasindeed  your belief. I don't think you understand what the word eunuch means. A eunuch is not someone who abstains from sexual  activity,  - it is someone who is incapable of sexual activity. Are you saying you have believed all these years that all priests are (or are supposed to be) impotent?

Message 179 of 197
Latest reply
196 REPLIES 196

Good for him, but I personally don't believe the pulpit is the place to push any agenda's. I recall many many years ago our local priest during his sermon washing pushing a certain political party whilst running down the opposition, our family up until that day attended mass every Sunday. My Father stopped going to church after this and the entire family never returned to the church as regular worshippers, in fact my Father called the Catholic Church the pedophiles palace.

Message 2 of 197
Latest reply

I don't know about pushing your own agenda because someone has to go first if change is to occur.

At the very least the Catholic Church needs to be encouraged to re-examine it's attitudes on a range of issues, homosexuality being but one.

Message 3 of 197
Latest reply

He is "on holidays"? I suspect he may be on a permanent one given his job description might actually include that he follows the rules set down for him 15 years ago.

The pulpit is not the place for politics either.

Message 4 of 197
Latest reply

I think it takes courage, Father Bob has plenty too

Photobucket
Message 5 of 197
Latest reply

@creative*crisis wrote:

I don't know about pushing your own agenda because someone has to go first if change is to occur.

At the very least the Catholic Church needs to be encouraged to re-examine it's attitudes on a range of issues, homosexuality being but one.

It's not a matter of who's going first, it's a matter of picking the right location to go first, and the pulpit isn't the place.

Message 6 of 197
Latest reply

I wonder what he'll do for a job now? 

Message 7 of 197
Latest reply

The Catholic church in Dublin has come a long way since it was villified in the Ryan Commission report for

endemic sexual abuse of children and many other things, including covering it up.

10 years later they give the priest a standing ovation.

Some call it progress !

Message 8 of 197
Latest reply

His congregation my well applaud him, but with all the reports of pedophilia within the priesthood, I bet they won't be leaving their little boys unsupervised around him.

Message 9 of 197
Latest reply

Beg to disagree, IMO the pulpit is the exact right place for it to be aired as it's an issue between the priests, practicing catholic homosexuals and the catholic church.
It creates a possibility of opening up dialogue between parishioners church and clergy.
Message 10 of 197
Latest reply