False accusations on facebook.

On Thursday I started seeing shared posts re a man supposedly taking photos of children in a shopping centre. The mother took a photo of said man and shared it on social media virtually accusing him of being a pedophile.......turns out he was taking a selfie in front of a Darth Vadar cutout to send to his kids.

I never share posts like this because there is always the potential that they are simply not true. This post ended up being shared upwards of 20,000 times and the poor man has even been getting death threats 😞

Apparently the woman involved hasnt even apologised personally to him, some of the sharers have though. If it were me I'd be suing the pants off her.

Its time people started thinking and questioning before they believe everything they read on the internet.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: False accusations on facebook.

@janeababe wrote:

I got so sick of FB, that i de-activated my account. 

That was about 2mths ago now, and i dont even miss it.

Is anything posted on FB real anyway? not much!  Although i did like the meme's  🙂

I do have a FB a/c and have joined the local buy & sell page, apart from that never use it.

No way of knowing what is being claimed is  true, as in the story in the OP.

People have been successfully sued for posting defamatory comments on FB, not sure if any in Aust but in other countries. Husband sued an ex wife etc.

Twitter -  Last month (March 2014), the NSW District Court awarded Christine Mickle, a school music teacher, $105,000 in damages for Twitter defamation from a former student

Message 11 of 26
Latest reply

@bushies.girl wrote:
And you believe what is posted on CS? I dont most of the time

I never said i did!!

In actual fact, i have been absent from the Discussion Boards for almost 2yrs....

...............nothing has changed!

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 12 of 26
Latest reply

@janeababe wrote:

xxxxx
And you believe what is posted on CS? I dont most of the time

I never said i did!!

In actual fact, i have been absent from the Discussion Boards for almost 2yrs....

...............nothing has changed!

Looks that way doesn't it?

It's the same everywhere, most people are honest, normal people, some aren't.........

I read that story in the OP, it amazes me that so many people don't get that taking pics of people in public spaces is legally allowed, it's what they do with them that determines the legality, or illegality of it.

I hope that woman apologises to the guy before any more harm is done.

Message 13 of 26
Latest reply

*pepe
Community Member

i saw that post on my newsfeed - it just didn't make sense so I scrolled on by.

there was also the couple who stopped to put out a fire and were photographed and posted on fb as firebugs - that post ws shared a lot - even after the police posted the facts

Message 14 of 26
Latest reply

Selfies are so stupid. 

If only the man was able to take a photo of something without the need to be in the photo.

What a stupid woman...... she knows how to use facebook...... and couldn't tell the man was taking a selfie?.......bs.

I hope he has a solicitor.

siggie-reported-by-alarmists..............
Message 15 of 26
Latest reply

I like face book, today I said Happy birthday to two relatives from over seas.

I talk to my children over seas and the grand children.

I play games when I am bored.

I have my face book on private so rarely get a lot of junk stuff.

Message 16 of 26
Latest reply

punch, THANK YOU for posting this.  I lost count of how many times my friends 'shared' the original FB post.  I'm sick of the rubbish that is posted, the kid urinating on the memorial comes to mind.  The fool was caught and charged by the police a couple of days after he did it, in 2009!

Message 17 of 26
Latest reply

I didn't see this one, but I'm sick to death of the "share this if you love your kids/sister/mother/hairdresser/dog" No! They already know I love them, no need to "share" that with anyone else.

I've replied to a few "warning" posts lately with a Snopes link. That seems to slow them down a bit.
Message 18 of 26
Latest reply

I just read the news article regarding this, insane.  You can't do anything anymore without people thinking the worst. 

Message 19 of 26
Latest reply

I'm the same lionrose.7. I have friends overseas, and family I see once in a blue moon, but we keep in contact via Facebook. You can remain friends with a person, but unfollow them if they are posting rubbish a lot. I have a friend who posts in support of non vaccination,  I was getting too angry, so I unfollowed her. The downside of course is that you don't see anything they post, I guess at the end of the day, it's down to how much you want to remain their friend.

Message 20 of 26
Latest reply