GERMANY incest between siblings

nero_bolt
Community Member

GERMANY’S national ethics council wants to allow incest between siblings

German Ethics Council votes in favour of allowing incest between siblings 

GERMANY’S national ethics council wants to allow incest between siblings, saying the risk of disability in children isn’t enough to warrant the law.

The Independent reports that the council made the recommendation after reviewing the case of Patrick Stuebing, a man who was adopted as a child and met his half-sister when he was 24 and she was 16.

The pair have four children together, however he was jailed for three years in 2008 and his sister, Susan Karolewski, was only allowed to keep one out of their four children.

Two of the children are disabled although it is unclear if that is a result of their parents being related.

Overnight, the German Ethics Council recommended that Section 173 of the German criminal code, which makes incest an offence under which offenders can be jailed for years, be repealed.

The chairman of the council, Christiane Woopen, was among the 14 members voting in favour of repealing the law, while nine people voted for the ban to continue and two abstained.

“The majority of the German Ethics Council is of the opinion that it is not appropriate for a criminal law to preserve a social taboo,” the council said. “In the case of consensual incest among adult siblings, neither the fear of negative consequences for the family, nor the possibility of the birth of children from such incestuous relationships can justify a criminal prohibition.

“The fundamental right of adult siblings to sexual self-determination has more weight in such cases than the abstract protection of the family,” the council added. “Incest between siblings appears to be very rare in Western societies according to the available data but those affected describe how difficult their situation is in light of the threat of punishment.”

Elisabeth Winkelmeier-Becker, a spokeswoman for Angela Merkel’s CDU party, said the abolition of the law against incest would send the wrong message.

“Abolishing criminal punishment against incestuous actions within a family would go completely against protecting the undisturbed development of children,” she told Deutsche Welle.

The Ethics Council’s recommendation only covered incest between siblings and members did not recommend decriminalising sex between parents and children.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/lifestyle/relationships/german-ethics-council-votes-in-favour-of-al...

Message 1 of 95
Latest reply
94 REPLIES 94

Re: GERMANY incest between siblings

Oh I know what you are getting at and I disagree.
Message 31 of 95
Latest reply

I can argue what ever I like and I don't need permission to do so, there is always a link in everything we every step we take paves the way for the next , every acceptance we make both good and bad takes us one step closer to the next and the question is where do we draw the line , if brother sister is ok , why it's father daughter or mother son or even uncle niece or aunty and nephew is there really any difference if so what, then if all that is ok then why not lower the age of consent to 16 let's face it there active at that age anyway , so if 16 ok let's face it some are active at 14 do we drop the age to that and if we are dropping the age to 14 why can't they get married at 14 it's culturally excepted in many countries so why not, who gets to draw the line in the sand.

I throw over to you 4 who seam to openly oppose every thing I posts any way , fire away
Photobucket
Message 32 of 95
Latest reply

They are half sister and half brother...................... further removed than full brother and sister.

It is a bit yuk for me to think about...... but I wonder what the circumstances were, did they know?

I think it's very far removed homosexuality and gay marriage though.

Message 33 of 95
Latest reply

@ashjoma wrote:
Well, there's a lot of issues on the news at the moment.

Also a former neighbour lives next to a household. Cousins married. All 4 children have big issues/ retarded. And it's the rest of us that have to pay for this.

Christopher Robim Milne married his cousin, Lesley deSelincourt, and their daughter, Clare suffered from cerebral palsey. Whether it was because of the close genetic relationship between her parents I don't know.

Message 34 of 95
Latest reply

In your mind it may well be well removed but in the mind of those down the line it's not they don't see it as that different , so my question is again who gets to draw the line is it you based on your view , is it me on mine , is it them on theirs , is it a committee based on their collective view and if so who chooses that committee as the out come would be vastly different if it was made up of fundamental Christians or islamics to that of atheists and homosexuals
Photobucket
Message 35 of 95
Latest reply

@the_great_she_elephant wrote:

@ashjoma wrote:

Also a former neighbour lives next to a household. Cousins married. All 4 children have big issues/ retarded. And it's the rest of us that have to pay for this.

Christopher Robim Milne married his cousin, Lesley deSelincourt, and their daughter, Clare suffered from cerebral palsey. Whether it was because of the close genetic relationship between her parents I don't know.

Isn't cerebral palsy an  injury before, during or after birth?

Message 36 of 95
Latest reply

@kilroy_is_here wrote:
In your mind it may well be well removed but in the mind of those down the line it's not they don't see it as that different , so my question is again who gets to draw the line is it you based on your view , is it me on mine , is it them on theirs , is it a committee based on their collective view and if so who chooses that committee as the out come would be vastly different if it was made up of fundamental Christians or islamics to that of atheists and homosexuals

I don't want to draw any lines.

I am not the world police.................... who people choose as their partner in life is not my business, so long as it is legal and moral................... as a population, that is determined by the majority.

Message 37 of 95
Latest reply

Only about 2% of cerebral palsy is genetic.

Message 38 of 95
Latest reply

@azureline** wrote:

@the_great_she_elephant wrote:

@ashjoma wrote:

Isn't cerebral palsy an  injury before, during or after birth?

I don't know, Az I don't have any personal experience with it.If you're right then of course it has absolutely nothing to do with the parents being cousins.

If there are genetic issues in a family then obviously cousins marrying could increase the chances of passing on disabilities.

Message 39 of 95
Latest reply

@kilroy_is_here wrote:
I can argue what ever I like and I don't need permission to do so, there is always a link in everything we every step we take paves the way for the next , every acceptance we make both good and bad takes us one step closer to the next and the question is where do we draw the line , if brother sister is ok , why it's father daughter or mother son or even uncle niece or aunty and nephew is there really any difference if so what, then if all that is ok then why not lower the age of consent to 16 let's face it there active at that age anyway , so if 16 ok let's face it some are active at 14 do we drop the age to that and if we are dropping the age to 14 why can't they get married at 14 it's culturally excepted in many countries so why not, who gets to draw the line in the sand.

I throw over to you 4 who seam to openly oppose every thing I posts any way , fire away

The age of consent is 16.  

Message 40 of 95
Latest reply