Green thumbs

I have a yesterday, today tmo bush. Best smelling flowers ever but it has flowered again and the flowers look normal and smell divine but they are small. Is there a reason for this?

Also have a zigzag succulent, I googled the flower....best flower on a succulent.
I have had it from a cutting for five years, it is growing great, lots of new growth. I had it in semi shade, it never flowered. I have moved it to a spot that receives morning and afternoon sun but is not full on for months now and it still won't flower.
Any advice?
Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Green thumbs

This is the flower!!
Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Wow that's lovely, can't help though I'm useless in the garden.
Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

It is hey!

I have yet to post a cutting to mum, she is a master with plants, if anyone can get it to flower it's her. Weird though, she pays no extra attention to them but they seem to love her.
Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Some plants flower when they are not suppose to, and the flowers are usually smaller than normal.

That flower is lovely, dont think I have heard of it before.

Regarding the succulent, we have one and it is flowering now, we are in Melbourne so have very hot summers and ours is hanging from a tree that gets all the afternoon hot sun and always flowers, sometimes twice a yr.

We also have one hanging on the back deck, it also get all the hot afternoon sun, both plants look lovely when they flower.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

I took a cutting a few months ago and that has taken root in full sun....so hopefully it will flower.
I'm scared to place this full plant in the sun incase I burn it.

I normally have Christmas succulents (I'm pretty sure that's what they're called) on my verander,s near the door and they have always been full of flowers....so I figured this plant would be the same.
Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

And thanks for the small flower advice, I was wondering if that was the case. I did feed the plant a few weeks ago...maybe I tricked it and being a tropical climate?

If you get a chance you must smell the flower.....I will post the proper name soon
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

I have all sorts of cactus.  I ignore them and get great flowers.

They love sun and heat - need hot sun to flower.  I'm not an expert,

just sayin' about mine.  That zig zag one comes from Mexico, so shouldn't

need mollycoddling.  It apparently flowers for one night only.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selenicereus_anthonyanus

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Wow cheers stawka.
The link says semi sun....so I might wait until spring/summer and see if it kicks into flowering.
The only full sun spot I have is the back porch, it is tiny and I don't spend time out there.
I am disappointed that it only flowers one night...but the fil has a cactus that is the moon flower(?) and while it is a one night flower it last a week thanks to buds opening at different times.
Can't wait to smell it!
Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

I have some dragon fruit, one red one white. Also from cuttings from about five four years ago....growing great but wondering if there is anything to make them fruit?

I know I could use google but I really would like for gardeners to discuss plants on here. I trust advice from growers...I have killed many a plant from obeying the tags that come with them lol
Message 10 of 13
Latest reply