Integration etc

I was wondering on another thread what culture/ assimilation/ integration means, especially in regards to refugees, actually means. The meaning probably differs from person to person so I was wondering what other's interpretation are. Just wondering.

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 1 of 47
Latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: Integration etc

@the_great_she_elephant wrote:

@*julia*2010 wrote:

and i asked desired by whom?

And I would assume. from what Bluecat actually said that she was referring to religious and ethnic backgrounds that are considered desirable (as opposed to undesirable) by the Pauline Hansons of this world.

Well you know what they say about "assume".

I guess we're not going to get a straight answer to the question of "desirable" prison inmates, and who they might be desired by.

As far as I'm concerned, all prison inmates are undesirable, no matter the ethnicity.

Message 41 of 47
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

@*julia*2010 wrote:

And I would assume. from what Bluecat actually said that she was referring to religious and ethnic backgrounds that are considered desirable (as opposed to undesirable) by the Pauline Hansons of this world.

I guess we're not going to get a straight answer to the question of "desirable" prison inmates, and who they might be desired by.

As far as I'm concerned, all prison inmates are undesirable, no matter the ethnicity.

Icy, the only person who has mentioned "desired prison inmates" is you, so logically you are the only one who can answer your own question. 

The only help I can offer is to suggest that if they are prison inmates, then it is probably desirable that they should be in prison.

Message 42 of 47
Latest reply

@*julia*2010 wrote:

does she mean those microcosms that

don't give a true representation of the 

wider population?

if so, why even mention it? 

or could it be that icy is right and

we are more divided than bluecat wants

to admit?

Message 43 of 47
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

@*julia*2010 wrote:

Icy, the only person who has mentioned "desired prison inmates" is you, so logically you are the only one who can answer your own question. 

The only help I can offer is to suggest that if they are prison inmates, then it is probably desirable that they should be in prison.

Thank you for trying to be helpful, She-el, and I'm sure Blue appreciates it too.

I do think however, that Blue is the one that sh/could really clarify what she meant re prisons being filled with prisoners of "desirable" race and religion.

@bluecat*riverdancing wrote:

Jails are full of people from "desired" ethnic and religious backgrounds.

Message 44 of 47
Latest reply

LOL. I spent yesterday out in the real world, having fun, you know, having a life and once I've finished my cuppa, I'll be gone again. I hope that's alright with everyone? Now, I'm going to catch up on the posts that I have missed. I'll be back soon.

Message 45 of 47
Latest reply

Thanks, Deb, that is such a lovely thing to say. {only in my spare time, though, only in my spare time. lol]

She-ele, you are 100% correct.

I had stated something along the lines of "as long as our laws are adhered to and people live peacefully....."  Then, added my observation about those in jails who aren't muslims from middle eastern countries but are caucasion, either born and bred here, families have been here for a number of generations, or come from western countries etc. That people who already live here and are not from a muslim, middle eastern country do not adhere to our laws or live peacefully, hence why are jails with those who are "desired" ,with muslims from middle eastern countries are not "desired", in particular refugees.

Desired = wanted [non-muslim-middle eastern]

Not desired = not wanted [middle eastern muslims]

Although, Icy, there are women [probably men, too, but I'm not aware of them] who consider those who are incarcerated to be highly desirable [in the romantic sense of the word] but that is completely different to what I wrote.

I like the Pauline Hansen analogy. Woman Very Happy

Message 46 of 47
Latest reply

well, it's true

100 kudos to you too BTW  Cat Wink

Message 47 of 47
Latest reply