Integration etc

I was wondering on another thread what culture/ assimilation/ integration means, especially in regards to refugees, actually means. The meaning probably differs from person to person so I was wondering what other's interpretation are. Just wondering.

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 1 of 47
Latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Integration etc

I think as a generalisation anyone planning to settle in another country, integration means immigrants learn the native language, behave in the manner of the native culture/laws to a certain degree and take on aspects of the native lifestyle.

Naturally this doesn't mean immigrants need to drop their native cultures.

How lucky we are to be able to experience more than 1 culture.

Santa, I didn't do it.

image host
Message 2 of 47
Latest reply

Integration etc

australia is currently 8th (out of 38)

according to the 2015 mipex -

ranking particularly high in health

and education.

http://www.mipex.eu/australia

Message 3 of 47
Latest reply

Integration etc

I came from a multicultural family and lived in several different countries in Europe before comming to Australia from Germany.

Before I left, my father told me; "You are going to a new country, you know little about. You will have to learn the language, their laws and customs and even get used to different foods. Join a group like CWA or a Mothers Club. Having young children, encourage them to make friends with neighbours children and in School. Don't ever expect anyone to change to your ways. You want a new life, make sure you change to fit in and are accepted as one of them."

I took my fathers words to heart and tried my best. To learn english was hard for me, because my first home here in 1958 was in St. Kilda where every shop I went to had german speaking ownwers or staff. When they realised that I was struggling with english, they did not help correct me but just spoke german to me.

My children did make friends whom I welcomed into our home. The first real english sentence I learned was; "What did she say?" The little friends asked my children when I spoke to them.

Now I live in a small country town with a large population of Italians. For all the 45 years I have been here, not one of the Italian women has ever joined a group, and some of them still can not hold a conversation in english. In their culture the men won't allow their women to mix company for fear they may get ideas that the husband is not always right. Cultural differences, but I am glad to see the younger generation don't take much notice of the oldies lifestyle.

Integration takes time, but a migrant has to be willing to integrate.

Erica

Message 4 of 47
Latest reply

Integration etc

Growing up in a multi cultural area exposed me to a myriad of different nationalities from a very young age for which I will ever be grateful. My cultural experience was extensive which is probably why I find that term a bit confusing.

Message 5 of 47
Latest reply

Integration etc

I remember that the kids picked up English easily but that it was harder for the adults and the elderly not at all.

Message 6 of 47
Latest reply

Integration etc

Erica, your Dad was a very wise man.

Message 7 of 47
Latest reply

Integration etc

@lind9650 wrote:

I came from a multicultural family and lived in several different countries in Europe before comming to Australia from Germany.

Before I left, my father told me; "You are going to a new country, you know little about. You will have to learn the language, their laws and customs and even get used to different foods. Join a group like CWA or a Mothers Club. Having young children, encourage them to make friends with neighbours children and in School. Don't ever expect anyone to change to your ways. You want a new life, make sure you change to fit in and are accepted as one of them."

Erica

Your father was a sage. It would be nice if migrants visited the libraries in their coutries BEFORE they make the trip to Oz. They might give themselves a chance to reject our way of life and our country rather than arrive here and complain. 

I once did a bit of shopping at Victoria's Basement in Sydney. There was a security guy checking bags on the way out of the shop. A German couple in front of me were a bit put off by this and the male German said something like "you don't do this in my country". The security guy said "I will remember that if ever I visit Germany". You have to adapt.

Message 8 of 47
Latest reply

Integration etc

Integration means that ALL schoolchildren should stand for the Australian Anthem when it's sung at assembly or in class.

Message 9 of 47
Latest reply

Integration etc

@village_person wrote:

@lind9650 wrote:

Erica

Your father was a sage. It would be nice if migrants visited the libraries in their coutries BEFORE they make the trip to Oz. They might give themselves a chance to reject our way of life and our country rather than arrive here and complain. 

I once did a bit of shopping at Victoria's Basement in Sydney. There was a security guy checking bags on the way out of the shop. A German couple in front of me were a bit put off by this and the male German said something like "you don't do this in my country". The security guy said "I will remember that if ever I visit Germany". You have to adapt.

When we visited the Reichstag in Berlin a few years ago you had to undergo a security check similar to the one at airports. At the museum too, where Nefertiti was at the time.

Message 10 of 47
Latest reply