Is it time to worry? Orwellian world has arrived

23 REPLIES 23

Re: Is it time to worry? Orwellian world has arrived

Slightly  off topic but as someone looking for work I find it really frustrating  that 70% of employers check your social  media pages and it is actually a problem if you do not have them. I refuse to be on facebook or twitter as I think my life and activities  are no ones  business. .... im told this will make me look anti social . 

Mind you the littleI know of them I thought if you had privacy settings on them no one but those you allow can access so not sure how it works for potential  employers to check your page anyway.

Life was easier before all this new technology  came along you got a job ,went to work ,did your job and your down time was yours 

Message 11 of 24
Latest reply

biglolcat
Community Member

It's TOO LATE for you to duck for cover.

Message 12 of 24
Latest reply

@lloydslights wrote:

Hi Hawks.

The problem I had with a bank because I didn't have a mobile phone to receive a password was the "beginning of the end of privacy" in my own little world.

A programme on the ABC recently, in regard to hackers accessing mobile phones, reinforced my belief that privacy is almost a thing of the past.  (Nick Xenophon was astounded!)

If the information is garnered by the "good guys" (police, etc)  is okay in my books.  But the "baddies" or people that could use info against people, companies, governments, etc is a great concern.

DEB

I know. We got astonished looks while on holiday in the UK because we didn't have a mobile phone. I have a ph but not in the UK.

They ended up accepting my son's (who lives in the UK) ph.

Well they didn't want to end up losing the deal I guess lol.

Message 13 of 24
Latest reply

If you're on the computer here...what's the difference?

I look at Trip Advisor or go shopping and "it Knows" and comes up my browser on other sites.

I dont get paranoid. I like the technology and convenience. Everyone likes to bag the banks, but they are pretty good with dealing with any scams.

Message 14 of 24
Latest reply

...what's the difference? Smiley LOL

Message 15 of 24
Latest reply

I have what I call a Nana phone, it is not on the net, it does not take photo's, I can phone and receive calls and text, that all.

I dont want to be on the net when I am out, I have a Camera and a lap top, when I want to use them.

Vodofone still managed to add a $8 fee for some thing and when I phoned them they said I most have said yes to a email offer on my phone, told them impossible because my phone does not have a email function, they gave the money back, but I check the bill every time now.

Message 16 of 24
Latest reply

"Where do we stand on ... restaurants snooping on their customers

Heston Blumenthal is reopening his Fat Duck restaurant after a 6-month refurbishment. The new menu will tailored to individual diners, thanks to the management Googling their background when they make a booking. Is snooping on customers something we should cheer or fear?

. . . The idea is to sell you more stuff by delving into as much personal data they hold on you as possible.

It’s why shops increasingly ask you for your postcode at the till."

Companies defend this behaviour by saying you will increasingly receive adverts, service and even meals that you really want. But it’s just downright creepy."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/11821159/Where-do-we-stand-on-...-restauran...

Adverts I really want? what?

More and more these days, when asked for my postcode at the checkouts, I either refuse or give them  a fictitious one.

Now, I'm thinking of responding to the question . . "can I have your postcode?" with the question . . .  "can I have your phone number?"

Message 18 of 24
Latest reply

"If you don't want to find yourself on ASIO's most boring list, you should vary your commute, quit calling your parents, and make more erratic lifestyle decisions, writes Ben Pobjie.

The danger of metadata is real, and it has shown its dreadful face. . . .

With the following handy hints, you can make sure anyone poring over your data will be emitting a low whistle and murmuring "goodness gracious me" within seconds."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-25/pobjie-how-to-spice-up-your-metadata/6723010

Or, you could leave your treacherous smart-phone at home, pay for everything by cash, and refuse to drive a permanently-internet-connected automobile.

If not providing total anonymity, at least it's a start.

Message 19 of 24
Latest reply

@iapetus_rocks wrote:
 There's a huge footprint left by people who pay for even their petrol or milk and bread  by using plastic cards.

I was once standing behind a woman at a checkout, who was paying for a bottle of water with a plastic friend. Cost 90 pence ! ! ! I almost asked her if she'd like me to pay, in order to save her the trouble of punching her number in. Jeeeeze !  

Message 20 of 24
Latest reply