Joe Hockey 1987 protests- Uni fee

I would like to know what Christopher Pyne thinks about the protestors behaviour in this video... pushing security guards and breaking into Uni Admin offices.

Joe Hockey speaks on the video.

Joe Hockey video from 1987 shows Treasurer protesting against university fees

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/joe-hockey-video-from-1987-shows-treasurer-pro...

Message 1 of 95
Latest reply
94 REPLIES 94

Re: Joe Hockey 1987 protests- Uni fee

@bella_again wrote:

My posts keep disappearing!!  I did ask did anyone see this

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-29/abbott-rules-out-chasing-post-mortem-hecs-debts/5485736

It's a real worry esp for those who do degrees but can't find work in their chosen vocation.  I don't want to leave my SN kids with this kind of debt.  They are saying the won't change the current rules but really they are putting it out there to test public opinion. I am now rethinking doing my degree.

It's only against the estate of the individual. It's not going to go across families and so on. 

"That's the same as any other loan, any other mortgage we have in our lives."

I am in favour of the debt being collected from the estate of the person who has the loan. Why wouldn't it be?

Message 71 of 95
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:
The Uni prevents students from accessing their final semester exam results for students that owe any type of fees, including overdue library fees. E.g the library would advise Admin the names of students who owed fees.

When I was at Uni the student fee was $400+ plus for the first year and had to be paid upfront on enrolment. I think it went up by a huge jump that year.

At least now there are options to pay it term by term or add to HELP loan.

I know my daughters have had a few years where it wasn't charged.

Hence my question about whether it was the student association or union and how the union prevented access to the results.

Message 72 of 95
Latest reply

What is the current policy?

• A trustee or executor needs to lodge all outstanding tax returns on behalf of a deceased person, up to the date of the personโ€™s death.
  • Any compulsory repayment included on a notice of assessment that relates to the period before the personโ€™s death must be paid from the estate, but the remainder of the accumulated debt is cancelled.
  • Neither the deceased personโ€™s family nor the trustee is required to pay the rest of the accumulated HELP debt
Message 73 of 95
Latest reply

it is the same thing... student uni.. student association.. it is a fee that gets collected by the uni and goes to the student body... 

I know that for a fact.. 

I decided to become an external director at one point  to see what was going on... I sat on the board.. I know they got and still get the money. 

Message 74 of 95
Latest reply

@catsnknots wrote:

it is the same thing... student uni.. student association.. it is a fee that gets collected by the uni and goes to the student body... 

No, they're not the same thing.  

Message 75 of 95
Latest reply

The important part is $280 p.a.is a paltry amount (reintroduced by Labor) to complain about, compared to the LNP changes in the Budget.
Message 76 of 95
Latest reply

HELP debt is wiped if the person dies.

I think it should remain that way. Pyne says if that changed, it wouldn't apply to young students. Just older ones.

When I signed up for a HELP loan the conditions were, not repayable on death, and the loan increased by indexation to CPI every year.

If they change this, for new students they would know this upfront before they take out a loan.

Pyne wants to negotiate with the UK re Aust living there with student loans. The Aust Govt can't deduct repayments from their salaries there. A reciprocal thing. Can't see that working myself.
Message 77 of 95
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:
The important part is $280 p.a.is a paltry amount (reintroduced by Labor) to complain about, compared to the LNP changes in the Budget.

Yes, very much so.

Message 78 of 95
Latest reply

Ongoing SAF services (UOW)

Health and Wellbeing Centre
Free legal advice and financial counselling
Self-preparation food areas
Global Communicators program
Subsidised URAC gym memberships
Admin support for WUSA & WUPA
Housing Assessment Scheme
Student advocacy training and promotions
Postgraduate and mature age orientation
Outdoor recreational spaces
Message 79 of 95
Latest reply

I'm not because it does affect the persons family if its taken from my estate for example my kids won't have a home to live in or the capacity to be able to take out a loan to be able to find somewhere to live. I can't afford a huge amount of life insurance so I can't cover that kind of debt.  If I am working and have an income fair enough but if you study all that time for a degree and then discover like thousands of nurses are that you can't find work you are in a worse off situation than you were before you did the degree.

This is why I am reconsidering doing one and most likely now wont. The cost is far too high for starters for little return.

Message 80 of 95
Latest reply