Liberals - This is a bit low

imastawka
Honored Contributor

The poster, written in Mandarin, states the "correct" way to vote is to put the Liberal Party first.

Labor has accused the Liberal Party of deliberately using the official colours of the Australian Electoral Commission to mislead Chinese-speaking voters in a marginal seat, despite the AEC stating the posters are within the laws.

The posters, which were written in Mandarin and have appeared at booths in the Melbourne seat of Chisholm, state the "correct" way to vote is to preference the Liberal candidate first.

A photo taken by Victorian Trades Hall secretary Luke Hilakari showed a poster printed in the purple and white colours of the AEC tied to a fence next to an official AEC voting banner.

The text of the poster appears to be written in the style of an official instruction to voters:

"Correct way to vote.

"On the green voting card, put preference 1 next to the Liberal Party. The other boxes can be numbered from smallest to highest."

Australian Labor Party state secretary Kosmos Samaras has confirmed to the ABC that the party lodged a formal complaint with the AEC.

AEC state manager Steve Kennedy has told the ABC that the commission has considered the complaint and found the posters did not breach election laws.

"Whilst the AEC would prefer that parties or lobby groups don't use the colour purple, the AEC doesn't own the colour purple and there is nothing restricting the use of this," he said.

The Liberal Party has declined to comment.

Both the major parties are running female Chinese-Australian candidates in the seat of Chisholm after it was vacated by Liberal-turned-independent Julia Banks.

Roughly 20 per cent of the population in the electorate, in Melbourne's eastern suburbs, are of Chinese ancestry.

The battle for the seat is likely to come down to the Liberal Party's Gladys Liu and Labor's Jennifer Yang.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/federal-election-2019-labor-accuses-liberals-of-creating-mi...

I'm not a political animal, but even I can see this is woefully wrong.

How does this not breach election laws?

Message 1 of 59
Latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Re: Liberals - This is a bit low

I know where I am, I'm in Chisholm.  The independent, Oliver Yates stood in Kooyong and is collecting information on flyers sent out to a number of different electorates in Victoria

Message 51 of 59
Latest reply

Okey Dokey - what does that have to do with your initial - beef.

A sign - in - ' almost ' Cadbury Purple.

Your post was regarding - deceptive - advertising - in Chinese.

No mention previously of flyers.

Update me.

Message 52 of 59
Latest reply

He's putting it altogether domino... didn't you get that?

flyers were sent out in Chinese language as well and they're interpreted as unless you vote exactly like this your vote will be informal. He and his lawyers believe they have a case, whether they really have or not remains to be seen...

Message 53 of 59
Latest reply

and the court for disputed returns is the High Court.

Message 54 of 59
Latest reply

@myoclon1cjerk wrote:
They should have let the inmates on Nauru and Manus vote. They've been here long enough to qualify.They're probably better educated too and won't need any guidance.

Do they use pencils?

Message 55 of 59
Latest reply

It's not just the Libs although conservative "advertising"  propaganda  does appear to be dominant in the 500 complaints

The electoral watchdog has found 87 cases of unlawful political advertising after being inundated with almost 500 complaints during the federal election.

These two certainly did not help the Labor cause

The campaign was littered with examples of unsourced or anonymous political advertising that breached electoral laws.

The problem was particularly acute on social media, where fringe, sometimes anonymous groups paid to push political messaging to users.

In all, the Australian Electoral Commission has revealed it received almost 500 complaints about political advertising during the campaign, about 90 of which related to social media content.

It substantiated 87 of the complaints.

The AEC did not take punitive action in the 87 cases, but said it was able to more effectively and quickly resolve the breaches by issuing direct warnings.

It also did not take action on several complaints where voters were misled or deceived in an attempt to influence their vote. The AEC usually was unable to act because the cases did not fall foul of electoral law, no matter how egregious they appeared.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/may/22/australian-electoral-commission-finds-87-case...

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 56 of 59
Latest reply

low is the abomination policies labor and the hate speech greens brought to the election-the liberals had every right to do this as the alternative was just plain dangerous and harmful

Message 57 of 59
Latest reply

martinw-48
Community Member
Why are politicians allowed to lie.
I don't see any excuse for lying.
No matter what the other parties are doing
Message 58 of 59
Latest reply

Yes. They use pencils. Though I'm not sure they'd be allowed to vote in certain electorates where crayons are used. 

Message 59 of 59
Latest reply