Living without a mobile phone

3fbef5814ef22ddfda9f7df2a2733aa7.jpg

Into my fourth month of living without a mobile phone. Could you? Would you? Do you? Let me know down below!

Message 1 of 85
Latest reply
84 REPLIES 84

Re: Living without a mobile phone

@ecar3483 wrote:

I'm yet to find a "smart" phone that I honestly think is smart. Most of them are tiny, and seem to be made to throw away after two years when the "new" model comes out.

When I got my first phone, "everyone else" had a Nokia, I got a Phillips.

I might not have been with the trend, but the keys were big enough for my fingers, and I could read the text on the screen without my glasses.

For me, smart isn't always smart. Tiny keys and tiny screens don't work for me.

I have a mobile phone, I never use it. A twenty buck yearly recharge is a fair price, for me, for the peace of mind that if I really do need it, it's there. But otherwise, it's like that box of candles in the cupboard, there just in case the power goes out.

Well thats really good that you've found what works for you! ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 21 of 85
Latest reply

I think for practical reasons it's a good idea to have some type of phone, whether it's home or mobile. Tbh I'm a bit of a minimalist, so I like trying to simplify my life and do without things I can do without! A few months ago I realised I didn't need a mobile phone anymore and I'm loving it; I'm not against mobiles, I don't mind if anyone else has one, it just struck me that I could do without. I will probably get a phone again sometime, just not in the foreseeable future.

As for luxuries such as electricity and Internet, that is most certainly what they are - luxuries, not necessities. I'm working on giving up my iPad and I try not to use the home computer too much. Eventually, when I move out of home I'd like to not have a computer at all. What works for some doesn't work for others, though. It all depends on your lifestyle.

Well, I don't have a home phone, couldn't afford it at this time. I guess you could say I'm an involuntary minimalist. Not too long ago, I didn't have running water. But I suppose the good thing about being a minimalist, or what might attract me to it, is it's having less stuff for others to steal or take away. The other side of it is I just can't pass up a good deal. I posted about the doll collection I started. Where I only got them because it seemed like a good deal, and I thought a hobby might be nice. Yesterday, I went to the flea market and alot of the sellers there was selling them as well. Even cheaper prices for nicer dolls than I got at that thrift store. Not being about to pass on a deal, I spent most of my money, and came home feeling like a slave to my hobby, or collection.

My cell phone has limited minutes added each month. I want my dad to be able to contact me on important things, you never know, and I sometimes list stuff on CL.

After Armageddon full documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgbkQcu166w

Message 22 of 85
Latest reply

Getting what worked for me was good, but getting there was an adventure in itself.
I told myself, after that day that I was never going shopping with friends, again, unless I wanted to test the strength of our friendship.

Great people, well meaning, happy with what they have but not quite able to see that I might not be that happy with their choice.

Even with friends it can sometimes be difficult to say "I know you have my best interests at heart but let me do this for myself".

Message 23 of 85
Latest reply

OMG its a mini puter in my hand...............can't live without it.

Message 24 of 85
Latest reply

*follows crystal

i've managed to live without one, but i wouldn't mind one. seriously thinking about upgrading my net provider, so..when that happens. i gets me a moblie phone 

Signatures suck.
Message 25 of 85
Latest reply

Jess, my phone also functions as my pc so I need it! I do anything I need for work on my phone.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 26 of 85
Latest reply

I use mine a lot and am available 24/7 to my children and grandchildren.
I also use it for my quilting...... when I go out to shop for fabrics I can take pics with me and also take pics while shopping.
Message 27 of 85
Latest reply

I couldn't understand what the attraction was with smart phones until I got my first one. I was of the "I only need a phone to make and receive calls" brigade.
Now, I think it's the handiest and most useful "gadget" I have ever had. Between my phone and my iPad I do almost everything computer wise, and more, that I need.
Sure, I could take photos with my camera but then I'd have two things in my pocket: phone & camera. Sure, I could use a paper map or GPS but now that's 3 things. Sure, I could chat on here from my laptop or PC but I'd have to have brought them with me and they don't fit in my pockets! lol
Of course I could live without my phone but it certainly wouldn't be as convenient or fun ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 28 of 85
Latest reply

After reading some of these posts, I wonder how I manage without one .... but I do and quite nicely as well lol

Message 29 of 85
Latest reply

@bushies.girl wrote:

After reading some of these posts, I wonder how I manage without one .... but I do and quite nicely as well lol

Do you have mobile reception where you are Bushie?I know when I am at my daughters place in Yea I don`t have any..

Message 30 of 85
Latest reply