Man Up

What does it mean to you?

Photobucket
Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Man Up

Don't stand back, confront the opposition.

DEB

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

The thing is, women are playing sports that were formally male dominated and orientated.

The "equality" has crept into the arena, but the Language of Sport has already been set in stone.  

Do the girls also want to change the name of the positions on the field....  ruckman, forward pocket,etc.Smiley Wink

Suggesting to men to "woman-up" in the local netball game,.....they wouldn't be able to mount the challenge. Hahaha.

DEB 

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

Be as straight forward and honest as a woman.

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

@donnashuggy wrote:

Ok let me clarify my reason for posting this

my daughter plays afl, she is 17 and always lecturing me about political correctness

at todays game the coach kept telling the girls to 'man up'

they did win 80 nil so it must have worked ha ha

It's a term used to stick with your direct opponent,(so whatever position each player was playing they would

have to man up,(stick with) their direct opponent).

For instance,if she played at full back she would have to "man up" on the full forward.

Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

And I think David was right - there is a ladder

i just wrote the first thing that i thought of. 

man up a ladder. so not really right.

oh and quite often followed by man in ambulance.

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

To me it is as insulting as telling men not to be girls. 

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

It means to be brave in an unpleasant or difficult situation.

It doesnt necessarily mean the stereotypical 'man'..

Heres an interesting read about redefining the phrase from the website- good men project

https://goodmenproject.com/ethics-values/25-ways-to-redefine-the-phrase-man-up/

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

In footy terms it means to stick very close to your opposition player as Go Tazz has already explaned very well. It means playing a one on one tight, defensive game, rather than chasing the ball around.  I realise in other settings it can have a different meaning that some of the PC brigade might get upset about, but in sporting terms its all very innocent really.

I suspect I might have regularly told the 9 & 10 yo girls I coached in netball last season to "man up" to their player. It certianly worked as they where all great little defenders by the end of the season.

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

A search of " man up, sporting term " First result,

Wiktionary - describes "man up" in the sporting context as "To vigorously guard the opponent to which one is assigned ".

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply