NDIS teething problems

'It's soul destroying': NDIS teething problems make many feel they're not worth the help

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-18/ndis-teeting-problems-make-many-patients-feel-not-worth-help/9...

is there anything this govt touches thats not a screw-up?

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: NDIS teething problems

It's still being rolled out and of course there will be teething problems. But they'll get it right.

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

johcaschro
Community Member

Unless we decide to allocate an unlimited amount of money to funding the NDIS, then money which goes to support people like Freddie and Max takes away from the money which can go towards supporting people like Ellie.

It seems to me that Freddie and Max don't enjoy their lives very much and it's almost certain that they and their behavours don't bring much joy to the lives of the other people around them or in their community.

Is it likely that they will ever grow out of their condition and be able to function as valuable members of their community? Is it ever likely that they will gain much enjoyment or  sense of self-fulfillment from their lives?

We have a limited amount of money to allocate to the NDIS. What do we do with it? Do we allocate parts of it to those who have no probability of lasting benefit, at the expense of those who obviously do have some probability of aquiring lasting benefit to both themselves and their community?

Oh, for an unlimited pool of money in which to (metaphorically) drown little **bleep**s like Freddie and Max.

In the absence of such a bottomless pool of money, then surely we should prioritise its expenditure upon those who would benefit the most?

I know and understand that behavioural problems can constitute a severe disablitiy but I cannot overcome the feeling that behaviours are a choice we make whereas to get up and walk on legs which do not function, is not.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

And you claim to be a medical professional..........how many hopeless vets have been euthanized under your care? God help those afflicted with a bipolar disorder......their actions are a choice?

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

Neither you nor David who kudo'd your post seem to have understood my message.

I am arguing for more funding for the NDIS for everyone in need, but at the same time I recognise that sometimes that money will seem to be spent for no lasting and purposeful benefit.

All behaviours result from choices we make, and often people with psychiatric conditions like bipolar disorder have some degree of insight into their illness and they know, again to a degree, that the behaviours they act out are destructive and inappropriate. So, in that they still choose to act out, their behaviours are a choice they make.

I have known people with bipolar disorder who, once on medication, and feeling well again, think they no longer need the drugs and stop taking them. That's a choice they make, and it's a dangerous and usually regretable one, both for themselves and for those who have to deal with the consequences.

(No vets were harmed before, during or after  the making of this brief message)

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

You made a statement saying that funding for people with little hope of having a meaningful life should be dispensed with.........which included the two autistic children in the OP.  How is their behavior a choice?  In fact you referred to them as little bleeps......be interesting to find out what word was bleeped out.

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

This is the third, and final year, my son has been on the NDIS.

It has been a fantastic help.

photo walkingdeadtag_zpsbaca2fdd.jpg
Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

@johcaschro wrote:

Unless we decide to allocate an unlimited amount of money to funding the NDIS, then money which goes to support people like Freddie and Max takes away from the money which can go towards supporting people like Ellie.

It seems to me that Freddie and Max don't enjoy their lives very much and it's almost certain that they and their behavours don't bring much joy to the lives of the other people around them or in their community.

Is it likely that they will ever grow out of their condition and be able to function as valuable members of their community? Is it ever likely that they will gain much enjoyment or  sense of self-fulfillment from their lives?

We have a limited amount of money to allocate to the NDIS. What do we do with it? Do we allocate parts of it to those who have no probability of lasting benefit, at the expense of those who obviously do have some probability of aquiring lasting benefit to both themselves and their community?

Oh, for an unlimited pool of money in which to (metaphorically) drown little **bleep**s like Freddie and Max.

In the absence of such a bottomless pool of money, then surely we should prioritise its expenditure upon those who would benefit the most?

I know and understand that behavioural problems can constitute a severe disablitiy but I cannot overcome the feeling that behaviours are a choice we make whereas to get up and walk on legs which do not function, is not.

WOW......... Autism is not a behavioural problem. You cant just give these kids a smack on the bum or teach the parents how to be " good parents " and everything will be fine. 

Autism is a medical issue related to brain chemistry and possible wiring problems which means the brain does not function as it should. This causes an imense build up of internal stress on these kids which has to be released either through what you view as a tanty, or through self harm or violent outbursts.

Our understanding of how the brain functions is still in its infancy and the condition of autism is still not very well understood by medical proffesionals, let alone by the public.

On the question of the national disability scheme, one of the biggest problems is like most things governments do, the NDIS has become the latest public service, gravy train, junket. The scheme has been swamped by incompetant PS. administrators and private companies set up to siphon the money from the scheme in the same way as TAFE has been trashed and financially drained by private companies, specifically set up to skim money from the public purse.

There was recently an open day for the NDIS in our regional city. It was held at the expensive golf country club. It consisted of a short 2 hour conference for service providers, followed the next day by a trade display, open day for service providers. Despite only being one hour drive from the centre of the city, the providers all booked accomodation the day before the conference and spent a minimum of two nights accommodation at the exclusive country club resort. According to someone we know who works at the resort,  many stayed an extra night after the open day as well.

The event was poorly attended by people with disabilities and halfway through the event, one display participant noted that my wife was the first person to speak to her about the services her organisation offered.

Basically a huge percentage of the money in the scheme is being siphoned off and wasted on fluff, rather than running a lean, mean, efficient scheme with a genuine focus on providing maximum funds for people with disabilities. The whole focus has been on service providers rather than the people who actually require the services.

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

here is a big problem with 'disability'

if you have a phisical disability, missing leg, arm, blind, deaf and the list goes on. most people say 'well yes of course your disabled'

but when you have something that cant be seen, like austism, a lot of people see you as 'faking' it.

and there are lots of things you can see  but still make a person disabled.

we should never judge unless we have real evedence a person is 'faking it'

old saying 'walk a mile in my shoes' comes to mind.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

New Adelaide play Impersonal Space tries to shine light on living with autism

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-21/new-play-tries-to-shine-light-on-living-with-autism/9073062

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply