One in Three (or One in Two): The untold story of male victims of family/domestic violence

4c4sale
Community Member

This is a seriously undertold story, and this website is a good place to learn the truth about the staggering number of male victims of domestic abuse in Australia:

http://www.oneinthree.com.au/

Men are MUCH less likely (three times less likely it seems) to report being battered and attacked by their female partners than women who are attacked by men, and further, men have less support if they do speak out.

Men may face scorn, derision and disbelief when they report being abused.

If one considers the vastly lower reporting of these incidents by men, and combines this with the higher number of women who abuse children, it arises that women - not men - are the majority domestic abusers in Australia, Great Britain and the United States.

Time to start spreading this truth, and working for change on BOTH sides of the gender equation.

Message 1 of 250
Latest reply
249 REPLIES 249

Re: One in Three (or One in Two): The untold story of male victims of family/domestic violence

From the link:

KEY FACTS AND STATS

At least one in three victims of family violence is male

One male is a victim of domestic homicide every 10 days

Almost one in four young people are aware of their mum/stepmum hitting their dad/stepdad

Male and female victims of reported domestic assault receive very similar numbers and types of injuries

Males are almost three times less likely to report being a victim of domestic violence to the police

Post-separation, similar proportions of men and women report experiencing physical violence including threats by their former spouse 

Message 21 of 250
Latest reply

Re: One in Three (or One in Two): The untold story of male victims of family/domestic violence

Why is this turning into a women are abused more than men thing?!

The op clearly states that awareness is needed and that change is needed. I agree with this!!!
Message 22 of 250
Latest reply

@love*today wrote:
Got to go to work so haven't checked the link.....but if those program's are for women and kids only then that's how it is. Do you think women that have been bashed by men want to seek refuge and help when there are men around?
Also they would be considering the kids too. There are reasons as to why some groups exclude people and they do so to only help those who the group aims to help not for any other reason.
During my research I never looked for help for men in my area, I will at lunch.

No, I agree, they wouldn't, I don't imagine.

And 4c was right, I just meant there should be the same resources available to men, the same outreach and help and effort to remove the stigma.

"If it is once again one against forty-eight, then I am very sorry for the forty-eight." ~ Margaret Thatcher

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” ― Thomas Jefferson
Message 23 of 250
Latest reply

One woman dies every week from domestic violence in Australia in 2014.

In NSW, 24 women were killed last year in domestic-related incidents. Of all homicides in NSW, 42 per cent are domestic.

One woman is hospitalised every three hours across the country.

Access Economics has estimated about 1.6 million Australian women have experienced domestic violence in some form

.Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/comment/smh-editorial/time-to-act-on-domestic-violence-20140307-34cqt.html#ixz...

siggie-reported-by-alarmists..............
Message 24 of 250
Latest reply

One man dies every 10 days from domestic violence.

Men are three times less likely to report being abused.

Mothers are much more likely to abuse their children than fathers are.

Read more: http://www.oneinthree.com.au/ 

Message 25 of 250
Latest reply

Are they killed by a women..... or another man in the house?

Message 26 of 250
Latest reply

@siggie-reported-by-alarmists wrote:

Are they killed by a women..... or another man in the house?

In 2% or fewer instances, by a non-female.

Message 27 of 250
Latest reply

Where does that percentage come from?

Message 28 of 250
Latest reply

I agree that the subject on this thread could be a real problem.

But have a difficult time believing it was introduced as a topic out of a legitimate concern.

JMO~of course.
Message 29 of 250
Latest reply

From the article posted in the link in op:

...MALE VICTIMS LACK SUPPORT

While many services have quite rightly been established over the past four decades to support female victims of family violence, the needs of male victims remain largely unmet. Historically government policies have been based on the assumption that the vast majority of perpetrators are male and the vast majority of victims are female, and the policies of current governments are still based on this erroneous position. Indeed, regretfully, the National Council to Reduce Violence against Women and their Children did not include male victims in their otherwise laudable March 2009 recommendations which have been enthusiastically supported by the federal government and the Council of Australian Governments. Now is the time for action by politicians and community leaders to recognise that a comprehensive approach is required to combat the scourge of family violence...

"If it is once again one against forty-eight, then I am very sorry for the forty-eight." ~ Margaret Thatcher

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” ― Thomas Jefferson
Message 30 of 250
Latest reply