One in Three (or One in Two): The untold story of male victims of family/domestic violence

4c4sale
Community Member

This is a seriously undertold story, and this website is a good place to learn the truth about the staggering number of male victims of domestic abuse in Australia:

http://www.oneinthree.com.au/

Men are MUCH less likely (three times less likely it seems) to report being battered and attacked by their female partners than women who are attacked by men, and further, men have less support if they do speak out.

Men may face scorn, derision and disbelief when they report being abused.

If one considers the vastly lower reporting of these incidents by men, and combines this with the higher number of women who abuse children, it arises that women - not men - are the majority domestic abusers in Australia, Great Britain and the United States.

Time to start spreading this truth, and working for change on BOTH sides of the gender equation.

Message 1 of 250
Latest reply
249 REPLIES 249

Re: One in Three (or One in Two): The untold story of male victims of family/domestic violence

@siggie-reported-by-alarmists wrote:

Where does that percentage come from?

Ooops - sorry.

It's more like 1%, or possibly less.

But are you suggesting that gay men are more violent than straight men, and more likely to kill their partners?

Interesting if so - where did you get this idea?

Message 31 of 250
Latest reply

Re: One in Three (or One in Two): The untold story of male victims of family/domestic violence

@steppefjordwyfe10 wrote:

4c was right, there should be the same resources available to men, the same outreach and help and effort to remove the stigma.

Heart

Message 32 of 250
Latest reply

@4c4sale wrote:

@siggie-reported-by-alarmists wrote:

Where does that percentage come from?

Ooops - sorry.

It's more like 1%, or possibly less.

But are you suggesting that gay men are more violent than straight men, and more likely to kill their partners?

Interesting if so - where did you get this idea?

Where does the 1% figure come from...... are you making these figures up? 

Can you provide a link to the Australian Bureau of Statistics that show 75 man are killed each year in domestic violence?

And, that  these deaths are caused by women.....

siggie-reported-by-alarmists..............
Message 33 of 250
Latest reply

Isn't there a link to  the ABS?  

Isn't that where the statistics are from?

Message 35 of 250
Latest reply

The conclusion in one link stated that domestic violence is largely men against women.

Message 36 of 250
Latest reply

The other link stated that the overwhelming evidence shows women suffer more domestic violence by men.

Message 37 of 250
Latest reply

The statistics are discussed in one of the links I posted, Siggie.

"The claim that men are half or one-third of victims
So, who are the victims and perpetrators of domestic violence? The claim that men are a significant proportion of victims of domestic and family violence is increasingly prominent in community debates. In Australia, the most vocal and articulate proponent of this claim is the organisation Menโ€™s Health Australia. Its โ€œOne in Threeโ€ campaign centres on the claim that men are one-third of domestic violence victims. A related claim is that women are a significant proportion of perpetrators of domestic violence. Claims about womenโ€™s violence to men also are made by people in the community."

That's in Flood's Gender and Domestic Violence article.
Message 38 of 250
Latest reply

Great links Katy.

I agree step and after doing some quick searches there is a long way to go with helping male dv victims.

4c you are also correct with mothers that abuse their children. I'd love to see more invested in this. I do my bit by reporting to child services and I don't care who it is I'm dobbing on, I just think of the children....nothing gets done but child protection can't act on one phonecall....at least it's on record.
Message 39 of 250
Latest reply

I think a link to the ABS supporting the figures would be appropriate.

Message 40 of 250
Latest reply