One in Three (or One in Two): The untold story of male victims of family/domestic violence

4c4sale
Community Member

This is a seriously undertold story, and this website is a good place to learn the truth about the staggering number of male victims of domestic abuse in Australia:

http://www.oneinthree.com.au/

Men are MUCH less likely (three times less likely it seems) to report being battered and attacked by their female partners than women who are attacked by men, and further, men have less support if they do speak out.

Men may face scorn, derision and disbelief when they report being abused.

If one considers the vastly lower reporting of these incidents by men, and combines this with the higher number of women who abuse children, it arises that women - not men - are the majority domestic abusers in Australia, Great Britain and the United States.

Time to start spreading this truth, and working for change on BOTH sides of the gender equation.

Message 1 of 250
Latest reply
249 REPLIES 249

Re: One in Three (or One in Two): The untold story of male victims of family/domestic violence

Shops in the USA sell sticks designed for hitting children.  While Australian parents also abuse their children, we (as far as I know) have never resorted to such blatant promotion of the practice.

Message 141 of 250
Latest reply

Re: One in Three (or One in Two): The untold story of male victims of family/domestic violence

@polksaladallie wrote:

Shops in the USA sell sticks designed for hitting children.  While Australian parents also abuse their children, we (as far as I know) have never resorted to such blatant promotion of the practice.

I am sure the US is not the only place you can buy such things.  My mother had a switch from a willow tree.  She never had to use it, only had to threaten us with it.  I see the debate has gotten shorter in length.  Does that mean it is over?  I sure hope not, the topic is very important.    Smiley Happy

Message 142 of 250
Latest reply

http://www.centreformenaustralia.org.au/

Just found this...... it seems there are few services available.

siggie-reported-by-alarmists..............
Message 143 of 250
Latest reply

http://www.lonefathers.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=134:domestic-violence-ind...

I was reading this earlier ... I think it influenced some of the thinking in the OP's link. I had a few ... ahhh ... encounters with this group earlier in my life.

Message 144 of 250
Latest reply

Indeed Katy..... this line jumped out at me ....."explaining how flawed information leads to flawed public policy"..very apt.

Message 145 of 250
Latest reply

Michael Flood's website is a great source of information for men who want to break out of the cycle of violence:

http://www.xyonline.net/

And, with that ... good morning ... I'm going to try that sleep thing again.
Message 146 of 250
Latest reply

Adding a little humore to an otherwise unhumorous topic.

cartoon.jpg

Message 147 of 250
Latest reply

From above link.......

Thu, 10 Mar 2011 - 11:01 

| Michael Flood More articles about: Activism & Politics ViolenceWorking with Boys and Men More great reading

ABSTRACT: Around the world, there are growing efforts to involve boys and men in the prevention of violence against women: as

participants in education programs, as targets of social marketing campaigns, as policy makers and gatekeepers, and as activists and

advocates. Efforts to prevent violence against girls and women now increasingly take as given that they must engage men. While there

are dangers in doing so, there also is a powerful feminist rationale for such work. This article provides a review of the variety of

initiatives which engage or address men in order to prevent violence against women. It maps such efforts, locating them within a

spectrum of prevention activities. Furthermore, the article identifies or advocates effective strategies in work with men to end violence

against women.

CITATION: Flood, M. (2011). Involving Men in Efforts to End Violence Against Women. Men and Masculinities, 14(3): 358-377.

Message 148 of 250
Latest reply

Gosh, I'd never think to put a joke like that in a thread about violent crimes committed against any group, be they men, women, gay people, etc.

I'll never understand it.

Telling though.

"If it is once again one against forty-eight, then I am very sorry for the forty-eight." ~ Margaret Thatcher

โ€œI predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.โ€ โ€• Thomas Jefferson
Message 149 of 250
Latest reply

@siggie-reported-by-alarmists wrote:

Indeed Katy..... this line jumped out at me ....."explaining how flawed information leads to flawed public policy"..very apt.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Indeed siggie,

And in the op link, they discuss how programs were designed, but it wasn't flawed information that lead to flawed public policy, it was ignored information that led to it.

It also, if one actually read the op link and also other links within it, that some find the idea of violence against men humorous, actually laughing at videos of it.

So it surely does look like 4c brought an important issue into the light, where it belongs.  

"If it is once again one against forty-eight, then I am very sorry for the forty-eight." ~ Margaret Thatcher

โ€œI predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.โ€ โ€• Thomas Jefferson
Message 150 of 250
Latest reply