One in Three (or One in Two): The untold story of male victims of family/domestic violence

4c4sale
Community Member

This is a seriously undertold story, and this website is a good place to learn the truth about the staggering number of male victims of domestic abuse in Australia:

http://www.oneinthree.com.au/

Men are MUCH less likely (three times less likely it seems) to report being battered and attacked by their female partners than women who are attacked by men, and further, men have less support if they do speak out.

Men may face scorn, derision and disbelief when they report being abused.

If one considers the vastly lower reporting of these incidents by men, and combines this with the higher number of women who abuse children, it arises that women - not men - are the majority domestic abusers in Australia, Great Britain and the United States.

Time to start spreading this truth, and working for change on BOTH sides of the gender equation.

Message 1 of 250
Latest reply
249 REPLIES 249

Re: One in Three (or One in Two): The untold story of male victims of family/domestic violence

Yes, if you go to the link in the op and earlier I quoted from an Australian source in a previous post of mine, it is 75 men killed, domestic abuse from 2008-2010.

"If it is once again one against forty-eight, then I am very sorry for the forty-eight." ~ Margaret Thatcher

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” ― Thomas Jefferson
Message 171 of 250
Latest reply

Re: One in Three (or One in Two): The untold story of male victims of family/domestic violence

Neither strike me as particularly funny, but as one can result in permanent injury or death, I find that one particularly disturbing.

Really?

Message 172 of 250
Latest reply

@thegoblinswillgetu wrote:

@4c4sale wrote:

@lealta wrote:

Gosh, I'd never think to put a joke like that in a thread about violent crimes committed against any group, be they men, women, gay people, etc.

Gosh, then how do you feel about someone posting a funny video about a woman clocking her husband with a frying pan, or making money off of "wiffle pans".  Or how about posting a video titled "Can't Fit Her Limbs in the Fridge"?  I know...nary a word spoken.  What's the word they have for that??? 

You find a woman hitting her husband with a frying pan funny?

Did you not find it funny on the US board where you started this same topic?
I believe your friend posted this.I found your response interesting.

Women commit the vast majority of domestic abuse - why is it taboo to discuss it?

4c4sale (124 ) View Listings

in reply to jimmy*part3 09-18-2014 08:54 PM

jimmy*part3 wrote:

Every once in a while in the papers I read where the wife clocks her husband in the head with a frying pan. And I laugh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v= 3Qx95KzAGPg

Maybe we could make money marketing Wiffle Pans...?

^--------^

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you." 

I saw it as an honest post by a truthful poster with no axe to grind.

But as I do find women's majority abuse of men troubling, I thought it a good opportunity to discuss alternatives to women's impulse to physically abuse.

In retrospect, however, I think Plushy Pans are a beter idea, as Wiffle is actually kind of hard.

Message 173 of 250
Latest reply

@thegoblinswillgetu wrote:

Neither strike me as particularly funny, but as one can result in permanent injury or death, I find that one particularly disturbing.

Really?

Are you not troubled by women violently assaulting men, thus causing serious injury and death?

Message 174 of 250
Latest reply

@steppefjordwyfe10 wrote:

Yes, if you go to the link in the op and earlier I quoted from an Australian source in a previous post of mine, it is 75 men killed, domestic abuse from 2008-2010.

Perhaps my maths is better,  that makes one every 18 days.

Those statistics do not relate to partner violence only, which is what the one woman each week is.  They include father/son, brother/brother, flatmate/flatmate etc.

Message 175 of 250
Latest reply

thegoblinswillgetu wrote:

4c4sale wrote:

lealta wrote:

Gosh, I'd never think to put a joke like that in a thread about violent crimes committed against any group, be they men, women, gay people, etc.

Gosh, then how do you feel about someone posting a funny video about a woman clocking her husband with a frying pan, or making money off of "wiffle pans".  Or how about posting a video titled "Can't Fit Her Limbs in the Fridge"?  I know...nary a word spoken.  What's the word they have for that??? 

You find a woman hitting her husband with a frying pan funny?

Did you not find it funny on the US board where you started this same topic?

I believe your friend posted this.I found your response interesting.

Women commit the vast majority of domestic abuse - why is it taboo to discuss it?

4c4sale (124 ) View Listings

in reply to jimmy*part3 09-18-2014 08:54 PM

jimmy*part3 wrote:

Every once in a while in the papers I read where the wife clocks her husband in the head with a frying pan. And I laugh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v= 3Qx95KzAGPg

Maybe we could make money marketing Wiffle Pans...?

^--------^

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

I saw this poster's comment as truthful, but as I find women's majority abuse of men quite troubling, thought it  good opportunity to suggest an alternative way to direct women's assaultive impulses.

In retrospect, however, I feel that Plushy Pans would be a better idea.

Wiffle is actually pretty hard.

Message 176 of 250
Latest reply

Are you not troubled by women violently assaulting men, thus causing serious injury and death?

Are you?

I am troubled by many things.

But if I listed them all here, we wouldn't be on topic now would we.

But I will say hypocrisy would be high on that list.

Message 177 of 250
Latest reply

No, it is 9.73 days to be exact.

And this topic is about the fact that there is significant violence against males.  

No one denies that women are abused and killed also but that isn't the point, doesn't happen to be the topic this time.

The other point of this topic is that there isn't much in the way of resources for men who are abused by women and not enough outreach either.

Did you read the op and the earlier posts?  Because this has all been gone over.

"If it is once again one against forty-eight, then I am very sorry for the forty-eight." ~ Margaret Thatcher

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” ― Thomas Jefferson
Message 178 of 250
Latest reply

@4c4sale wrote:

@siggie-reported-by-alarmists wrote:

http://www.domesticviolence.com.au/pages/what-men-can-do-to-help-stop-domestic-violence.php

WHAT MEN CAN DO TO HELP STOP DOMESTIC VIOLENCE  

While men are responsible for the majority of domestic violence, it is important that we recognize the majority of men are not abusive

in their relationships. 

Non-abusive men may not realize it but they have the potential to make an enormous difference in helping to stop domestic violence

and sexual assault. 

Many men will come into contact with domestic violence in their daily lives.  This can be through the workplace if they are a

magistrate, judge, solicitor, police officer, doctor, nurse, social worker, psychologist, pastor, priest or crisis support worker. Others may

come into contact with domestic violence in their personal lives:  it might be their neighbour, a friend, a family member or an

acquaintance who is affected by domestic violence.

There are many opportunities for men to support female victims by speaking up about other men’s violence. 

Some are listed below:

Be a positive role model to other men.

If you know somebody who is abusive toward their partner tell them their behaviour is not okay and they need to get help to stop. 

Be a positive role model to children. If you know a child who is without a positive adult male figure you can help to provide consistent support and help the child to make a safety plan. 

Speak out against domestic violence.  This can have a powerful effect in helping change attitudes and social norms that support and perpetuate abuse. 

Take on a leadership role in your community, e.g. sports club, university, neighbourhood association or church group, and use this opportunity to speak out against violence in the home.

Understand how your own attitudes and actions may perpetuate sexism and violence. Confront sexist, racist, homophobic and all other prejudiced remarks or jokes. 

Don’t buy magazines, movies, music or watch television programs that portray women in a sexually degrading or violent manner. Organise or join a group to raise awareness of and work against domestic violence. This might be at university, TAFE, your workplace or among friends. 

Reach out and show support to someone you know is experiencing domestic violence.  Gently ask her if you can help.

Never put the blame on the victim of domestic violence. 

Participate in local community events to raise awareness of domestic violence and join the white ribbon campaign.

Women perpetrate the majority of dometic violence, and women's abuse of men is the topic here.

But while the first half of the posted OpEd is false, the second half is true.

The majority of men - and women - are not abusive.

EDOT: First half of the first sentence.

Message 179 of 250
Latest reply

No, my maths was wrong  (old age).  One every 14.5 days.  And NOT a partner to partner situation.

"And this topic is about the fact that there is significant violence against males"

Not in a partner to partner situation. 

Message 180 of 250
Latest reply