Oops: Typo for the ages printed on 46 million new $50 notes

imastawka
Honored Contributor

a circuit board: A close-up of the spelling mistake.

It was billed as the next generation of banknotes – with improved security and top-to-bottom clear windows – but the numbers folk at the Reserve Bank missed one important step in the tech-heavy journey: spellcheck.

An anonymous tipster armed with eagle eyes, a magnifying glass and, presumably, a little free time, alerted radio stations to a typo on the new $50 bank note that has escaped everyone's attention since 46 million of them were rolled out in October 2018.

The RBA has confirmed the word 'responsibility' is incorrectly spelled 'responsibilty' – without the third 'i'. The error sits in near-microscopic text above Edith Cowan's shoulder.

The total value of the misprinted notes is $2.3 billion. The RBA issued a statement on Thursday morning saying it was aware of the typo and that it would be corrected at the next print run.

It is not yet known how long the RBA has known of the error.

More here -

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/oops-typo-for-the-ages-printed-on-46-million-new-dollar50-n...

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I would encourage anybody who can afford it to put one of the notes aside, especially one in good condition. Down the track they may be worth something for the kids or grandkids. I know a lot were printed, but history shows that doesn't matter too much sometimes.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

martinw-48
Community Member
I wonder who will take responsibility for the responsibilty
Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

They will still be in 'mint' condition 

Spoiler
Groan
Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Ppl can't spell these days. Who's educating our educators?

Having said that, I always have to check with spellcheck for responsibilitise responsibilities, lol...

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply