Pillow talk

Had anyone here tried any of the “big three” major pillow brands that promise amazing neck and rest things?

• Emma
  • Koala
  • Sleeping Duck

Do you like your pillows

• soft and fluffy but with a supportive core
  • Just soft and fluffy all the way
  • With a bit of give but reasonably medium-firm
  • Firm as the glance of a stern headmistress
  • Stone - hard hard stone…?

And do you sleep on your

• Side
  • Back
  • Tummy
  • Now this way, now that way, so that by morning the bed looks as though a whirlwind has been through…?

Yes. It’s time to replace my pillow.

💤🛌

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Pillow talk

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Side/back sleeper.

I like a pillow with a bit of give but reasonably medium-firm.

Only move is for a bladder call, otherwise you could stand a glass of water on me and not spill it.

I also sleep on a wedge pillow with the main pillow on it, so that I'm sleeping half sitting up - for breathing purposes.

I bought a Tempur memory foam pillow and highly recommend it.

Made with TEMPUR® Material inside that respond to your exact shape, weight and warmth, conforming to your head, neck and shoulders and relieving pressure for the ultimate comfort and support

imastawka_0-1705585177631.jpeg

Tempur Original Pillow for Side Sleepers | Tempur Australia

Bit pricey though.

David Jones has them at a huge discount right now if you want to examine or try .

Tempur Original Pillow Medium | David Jones

Family says 'it feels weird' to them, but I love it.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Pillow talk

The most comfortable pillow that I ever slept on belonged to my grandparents.   It was stuffed with down.

I've found that cheap pillows are often just as comfortable, or even more so, than the expensive ones.  As with many things, sometimes you pay more simply because of the brand name.  

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Pillow talk

Hi countess,  the dreaded pillow hunt.  Having suffered a significant neck injury many years ago, I have probably spent thousands on pillows, with some well over $100 each, anything that helps get some shut eye.

The vast majority have been replaced inside 2 months.

Anyway,  last year I bought  60 odd pillows at auction for about $6.00 each, I don't think there is any brand or markings on them, but I might have to have a closer look.  I figured at $6.00 each I could throw them away weekly.

Lo and behold, best pillows I have ever used, nearly one year on and I have not replaced the original 2, have probably given away about 20 of them and everyone agrees they are the best pillow ever.

They were part of a liquidation of hospitality and commercial supplies, from a hospitality supplier that failed to recover after covid.

They settle to what I would consider medium, bit  of a shake and a couple of karate chops and they easily bounce  back to float away soft.

They came in bundles of 10 vac sealed.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Pillow talk

I love down-stuffed pillows but they don’t support my neck in the right way. I’m mostly a side sleeper but with a lot of tossing and turning.

I have used the oddly shaped pillows like the one you’ve mentioned, imastawka, on the advice of one of the physiotherapists I’ve seen, but it’s not quite right for me. It starts out feeling as though it might be fine, but within weeks, I realise that I’m trying to talk myself into finding it comfortable and spine-aligning when it’s not.

gutterpunkz, yes … like you, I had an injury which had caused ongoing pillow trauma! If you’ve found some pillows from a hospitality supplier, I can only envy you. But… after another look at the Emma website, I see there’s a store with stock to try before buying - in Dandenong. I may have a chance in the next few days to head over there while taking care of other things in the area.

I’ll give a pillow report.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Pillow talk

Have you had a chance to test the Emma pillow yet?

If you mum is coming home from hospital today, it may be a while before you get another chance if you haven't been.

I know someone with a Sleeping Duck brand mattress & she is very happy with it. I don't know what the pillows are like though.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Pillow talk

Not yet. I will take mum with me on Thursday.

I’ve got all sorts of ideas for getting her used to interacting with people again.

She definitely said “Kater!” (German for “cat”).

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Pillow talk

Today was the first chance we had to head over to Dandenong via Burwood. (Ichabod’s special diet food - only available in-store from the Habitat store there.)

Well! Not a single Emma pillow there! Other pillows, yes. Not the one that I wanted to try.

However, they did have Emma mattresses. I tried them. Verdict: they are not for me. I didn’t need 100 nights to decide.

If the mattresses aren’t, I can only assume the pillows aren’t either.

Goodbye, Emma.

I’m now considering Koala.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply