Print sales up for Murdoch, down for the rest

nero_bolt
Community Member

Sucks to be the left leaning papers, down and down and down and almost out, while Murdoch is up and up and up

Rupert Murdoch just strengthened his wicked dominance in print media - by offering Australians newspapers they prefer to buy over the Fairfax alternative. Should there now be a law forcing readers to buy The Age instead?

Print readership of major News Corp papers rose to 9.4 million a week, while print and digital audiences across all News Corp platforms rose to 15.226 million a month, the biggest audience of any publisher

NEWS Corp Australia has bucked the trend of declining newspaper print readership to post a 2 per cent increase across its national, metropolitan and regional titles over the past year, well above the 4 per cent decline across all major newspaper print mastheads…

The first year-on-year comparisons under the Enhanced Media Metrics Australia audience measurement system show ... the Daily Telegraph’s print readership, boosted by big-selling editions such as its front-page story on the brawl between billionaire James Packer and Nine boss David Gyngell, was up 1.5 per cent on weekdays to 1.191 million, while The Herald Sun and The Courier-Mail both rose by 0.4 per cent to 1.452 and 716,000 respectively…

The [Murdoch] Herald Sun was up 1.0 per cent on Saturdays to 1.205 million, but its direct competitor, The Saturday Age [Fairfax], experienced the biggest drop in absolute numbers over the year, losing 81,000 readers — a ­decline of 10.7 per cent.

The Sunday Age was down 9.3 per cent to 582,000 and The Sun Herald fell 8.6 per cent to 828,000 but The Sunday Herald Sun [Murdoch] was up 2.3 per cent to 1.156 million.

Fairfax’s Weekend Financial Review experienced the biggest decline in percentage terms, losing almost one in three readers (30.6 per cent) to 118,000 readers.

The Sydney Morning Herald was down 7.2 per cent to 755,000 readers Monday to Friday and down 7.4 per cent on Saturdays to 850,000.

Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

"like moths to a flame" is a term that springs to mind whenever I see how the lefties are attracted to even the tiniest flicker of light  from the right.

Woman LOL

View solution in original post

Message 30 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Yes. Most exciting news

Message 2 of 38
Latest reply

Notice how they say 'Print Readership' rather than 'Print Sales' nero?

When they give away FOR FREE a vast majority of The Telegraph and The Australian, then naturally your readership would be way up lol!

Mind you, even with such a 'high' readership, I note that Fairfax took out all the major gongs in the Kennedy Journalism Awards for 2014. Although The Telegraph did get an award for such insightful journalism as the racing guide...

Message 3 of 38
Latest reply

I also note that they don't include on-line subscription readership for which the Fairfax SMH and the The Age are well in front and kind of leave The Tele and The Australian for dead.

Message 4 of 38
Latest reply

note according to who...Enhanced Media Metrics Australia and from their website, 

EMMA will offer readership statistics for Australia’s newspaper and magazine mastheads, in a move that seeks to challenge the existing industry readership metric provided by Roy Morgan Research. Some of Australia’s publishers – and News Corp in particular have been unhappy with Roy Morgan’s dominance of the readership metric since the 1970s. 

Message 5 of 38
Latest reply

You are spot-on Martini.  

And of course, the "readership" are the numbers given to advertising agencies to hopefully sell space in their papers.

DEB

Message 6 of 38
Latest reply

The free newspapers they give to cafes, Maccas etc, hairdressers are counted as subscribers.

"Print sales up for Murdoch, down for the rest"

Print sales? That isn't much of a measurement of success by itself. I haven't bought a printed newspaper for years. Read the news online.
Message 7 of 38
Latest reply

Newspapers have all sorts of tricks to increase their readership & subscription numbers... As mentioned above giving free copies away, subscriptions to students fir $25 per year etc.
Message 8 of 38
Latest reply

a number  of other articles say differently Nero

heres one for example

I suggest googling the results & perhaps reading an article that's not a beat up from his own paper would be more true to reality

http://www.smh.com.au/business/markets/news-corp-revenue-slips-by-4-per-cent-20140808-101q1p.html

newscorp shares are definitely "on the nose" glad i dumped mine years ago, the 1 cent dividend just wasn't worth holding them

Message 9 of 38
Latest reply

I wonder why that is??? ........OH!!!!  I know, nobody want to read what they print. Nobody has wanted to read what Fairfax has been churning out for years and yet they kept on doing it until they face oblivion.

Message 10 of 38
Latest reply