Print sales up for Murdoch, down for the rest

nero_bolt
Community Member

Sucks to be the left leaning papers, down and down and down and almost out, while Murdoch is up and up and up

Rupert Murdoch just strengthened his wicked dominance in print media - by offering Australians newspapers they prefer to buy over the Fairfax alternative. Should there now be a law forcing readers to buy The Age instead?

Print readership of major News Corp papers rose to 9.4 million a week, while print and digital audiences across all News Corp platforms rose to 15.226 million a month, the biggest audience of any publisher

NEWS Corp Australia has bucked the trend of declining newspaper print readership to post a 2 per cent increase across its national, metropolitan and regional titles over the past year, well above the 4 per cent decline across all major newspaper print mastheads…

The first year-on-year comparisons under the Enhanced Media Metrics Australia audience measurement system show ... the Daily Telegraph’s print readership, boosted by big-selling editions such as its front-page story on the brawl between billionaire James Packer and Nine boss David Gyngell, was up 1.5 per cent on weekdays to 1.191 million, while The Herald Sun and The Courier-Mail both rose by 0.4 per cent to 1.452 and 716,000 respectively…

The [Murdoch] Herald Sun was up 1.0 per cent on Saturdays to 1.205 million, but its direct competitor, The Saturday Age [Fairfax], experienced the biggest drop in absolute numbers over the year, losing 81,000 readers — a ­decline of 10.7 per cent.

The Sunday Age was down 9.3 per cent to 582,000 and The Sun Herald fell 8.6 per cent to 828,000 but The Sunday Herald Sun [Murdoch] was up 2.3 per cent to 1.156 million.

Fairfax’s Weekend Financial Review experienced the biggest decline in percentage terms, losing almost one in three readers (30.6 per cent) to 118,000 readers.

The Sydney Morning Herald was down 7.2 per cent to 755,000 readers Monday to Friday and down 7.4 per cent on Saturdays to 850,000.

Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Why are you sorry?Smiley Very Happy  Did you read the posts before yours before posting, this is quite a short thread.?

Message 21 of 38
Latest reply

It is  now.

Message 22 of 38
Latest reply

well what a really exciting read I have had:)

Message 23 of 38
Latest reply

@lightningdance wrote:

Im sorry, have you now taken to answering for others?

I think am was just responding to common sense - sometimes you look a bit silly when you respond late in a thread without reading the rest of the replies that's all.

Message 24 of 38
Latest reply

@i-need-a-martini wrote:

@lightningdance wrote:

Im sorry, have you now taken to answering for others?

I think am was just responding to common sense - sometimes you look a bit silly when you respond late in a thread without reading the rest of the replies that's all.

Look silly? I don't think so. I responded to nero's post, having an opinion of my own is still allowed on here isn't it.

I do not accuse others of being silly do I.

Message 25 of 38
Latest reply

News Corporation’s Australian newspapers have suffered a 21 per cent slide in revenue as advertising and circulation continues to fall.

Revenue from the local newspaper business, which includes mastheads like The Australian and Herald Sun, fell by $US103 million ($A111.44 million) in the three months to March 31, compared to the same period a year ago.

Murdoch, such a wonderful bloke...hahahahahahahahah

http://www.smh.com.au/world/phone-hackers-sought-details-of-kylie-minogues-cancer-treatment-20140811...

Phone hackers 'sought details of Kylie Minogue's cancer treatment'

London: British private investigator Glenn Mulcaire hacked the voicemails of Kylie Minogue's siblings, Dannii and Brendan, so News of the World could write intimate details about the pop star's cancer treatment in Melbourne in 2005.

In Hack Attack, subtitled ''How the truth caught up with Rupert Murdoch'', Davies says that, after Mulcaire was caught hacking royal household voicemails, police had found ''masses of mobile phone numbers'' in thousands of pages of Mulcaire's notes but ''made no attempt to prosecute Mulcaire for all these other possible victims''.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/phone-hackers-sought-details-of-kylie-minogues-cancer-treatment-20140811...

Message 26 of 38
Latest reply

Murdoch is dispicable. Sitting on his throne, looking down on the world he wants to control, throwing his vileness at anyone that dares to not bow down to him on demand.  

Message 27 of 38
Latest reply

Looks like you got this one wrong nero - 

print sale may be up but News Corp profits are taking a huge dive.  NewsCorp print overall revenue was down !8% with the most widely distributed newspaper in the country, Th Daily Telegraph, had a a whopping 14.4% drop. 

http://www.smh.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/kim-williams-says-poor-news-corp-figures-are-not-...

I suppose there is a good lesson in there for us - don't believe the garbage that NewsCorps prints!

Message 28 of 38
Latest reply

The Australian, whose editor-in-chief Chris Mitchell admits has not been profitable since 2008, was relatively insulated from the massive cuts to newsrooms around the country in 2012-13, with only 54 jobs cut. That’s 12% of the workforce — 

.....— at the expense of every other Murdoch masthead in the country.  from crikey site

News Corp Australia leaked accounts show 1,000 jobs cut across mastheads

Major leak of confidential operating accounts reveal extent of losses with the Australian losing about $30m a year

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/aug/20/news-corp-australia-leaked-accounts-show-1000-jobs-cut-...

Message 29 of 38
Latest reply

"like moths to a flame" is a term that springs to mind whenever I see how the lefties are attracted to even the tiniest flicker of light  from the right.

Woman LOL

Message 30 of 38
Latest reply