Remove roadside trees.

go-tazz
Community Member

Another two young kids die by hitting a roadside tree:

http://www.mamamia.com.au/two-boys-die-in-altona-crash/

Isn't it about time that roadside trees are removed?

The amount of times I've heard people dying by hitting a roadside tree is ludicrous.

This is one simple thing to reduce the road toll,(the added benifit is that they could sell them for firewood).

Travelling from Katamatite to Shepparton is a nightmare as you are always looking at branches that overhang

the road and when it rains you watch the dead trees in case they topple,(that's apart from the big roadside

trees that will kill anyone that hits them).

Someone will die because of those trees,(most are Gum trees and one given with Gum trees is that sooner

or later they will drop their branches).

Report them and you get a thank you and that's it.

Nothing gets done until a branch or a tree falls and then it's just cleaned up,(once it's cleaned up there is no

sign that it ever happened),stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 1 of 65
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Remove roadside trees.

I get what tazz is saying. The Princes Highway around where I live passes through several national and state parks and is thickly and closely lined with gum trees.  It is truely terrifying driving along there when the wind is blowing.  There is debris being blown onto the road all about the place. Sometimes you have to cross onto the wrong side to avoid fallen branches.

I have a friend who mother was killed by a roadside tree falling and crushing her car.

I don't think anyone is calling for completely denuding the landscape of trees, but a bit of roadside maintenance wouldn't go astray.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 65
Latest reply

There is a difference between people crashing into trees because of speed, alcohol or whatever, and trees crashing into people because of a lack of roadside maintenance.

Try driving on the "highway" around here during a storm, or even just a windy day, and you'll understand exactly what tazz is on about.

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 65
Latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

Dead trees, dying trees, unhealthy limbs, agree. I know gums can drop branches and need to be checked regularly. All trees, no. People crash into power poles, too. The poles that carry the lighting to

make our roads safer. I would hate to live without roadside trees. Most of the time, the responsibilty for a crash into a tree, involves the driver, not the tree. Speed, drugs, drink and lack of experience are contributing factors, often. Not blaming those who die, but a world without lovely, leafy, tree-lined streets? No thank you. 

Take care on the roads everyone.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 2 of 65
Latest reply

esayaf
Community Member
Yeah, lets kill, crush and destroy everything that may hurt or kill people.
Message 3 of 65
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

How far off the road do you want to clear them, Tazz?

Have to agree with Amber.

No trees?   They'll hit something else.

Like my fence.    I planted trees when the 2nd car came into my front yard.

I'd rather them hit a tree, than my family while we're sleeping

Message 4 of 65
Latest reply

OK

Remove the trees.

And the large - sometimes overly large rocks - that reside behind - move them too - if possible.

Those that don't treat a car as a lethal weapon - in their hands - are going to either hurt themselves or someone's sister, brother - etc

The mentality is the problem - not the bl**dy trees.

How many crosses & flowers does it take.

Message 5 of 65
Latest reply

that was an awfully tragic accident- he had only just got his license, but I don't think removing the trees is the answer

Message 6 of 65
Latest reply

moonflyte
Community Member

Tress are not the problem, speed and inexperience is. leave the trees alone.

Message 7 of 65
Latest reply

johcaschro
Community Member

We need to plant more roadside trees; they play a vital role in the evolutionary process which improves  our species.

Message 8 of 65
Latest reply

I get what tazz is saying. The Princes Highway around where I live passes through several national and state parks and is thickly and closely lined with gum trees.  It is truely terrifying driving along there when the wind is blowing.  There is debris being blown onto the road all about the place. Sometimes you have to cross onto the wrong side to avoid fallen branches.

I have a friend who mother was killed by a roadside tree falling and crushing her car.

I don't think anyone is calling for completely denuding the landscape of trees, but a bit of roadside maintenance wouldn't go astray.

Message 9 of 65
Latest reply

I dunno, would it really make enough difference to the road toll to be worthwhile? We lose quite a lot of kids (p platers) on the roads up here, 4 teenagers in one accident a few months back ๐Ÿ˜ž But honestly, if people continue to drive too fast they will find something to plough into eventually. Clearer roads will only make them go faster IMO, and increase the chances that its another car they hit, especially up here in the forest.

There are some that are purely accidents but I know up here in the hills the majority of them are speeding.

And honestly, it would take about 100 years to chop down enough trees up here to make a difference. It would make some pretty good fire breaks though.

My mum was killed when the car she was a passenger in hit a tree. It was a perfectly straight stretch of the Hume freeway with just one little cluster of trees and everywhere else was clear. The driver was a learner, not speeding just inexperience, panic and bad luck.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 10 of 65
Latest reply